Changed to celebrate/appease a group 3 1.08%
Shown more support for our Nation which is suffering already 26 9.35%
Celebrated as always, make people aware of it's significance 244 87.77%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Anyone who would support the cancellation of Canada Day celebrations should get their bloody azzes
out of this country. This is sickening. CANADA IN 2021 IS NOT A RACIST COUNTRY. There are
obviously, and unfortunately, racists here, but as a whole, I defy anyone to give me an example of a
measurably more tolerant country.

Can we be more supportive, and become more educated about how residential schools have affected our
First Nations? Of course. But we are not a racist country. Canceling Canada Day is so far beyond the
pale that words haven't been invented that describe that level of lunacy.
^^ Over & Over, the above, echoed until the end of time !!
Old 06-28-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Anyone who would support the cancellation of Canada Day celebrations should get their bloody azzes out of this country. This is sickening. CANADA IN 2021 IS NOT A RACIST COUNTRY. There are obviously, and unfortunately, racists here, but as a whole, I defy anyone to give me an example of a measurably more tolerant country.

Can we be more supportive, and become more educated about how residential schools have affected our First Nations? Of course. But we are not a racist country. Canceling Canada Day is so far beyond the pale that words haven't been invented that describe that level of lunacy.
you nailed it thanks for this
Old 06-28-2021, 01:14 PM

Angry Taxation without representation

I cannot in good conscience pick any of the 4 options offered in your poll.
Could you add a line to the poll: Replace Canada Day with Alberta Separation Day?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-28-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
I cannot in good conscience pick any of the 4 options offered in your poll.
Could you add a line to the poll: Replace Canada Day with Alberta Separation Day?
sign me up
Old 06-28-2021, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Can we be more supportive, and become more educated about how residential schools have affected our First Nations? Of course. But we are not a racist country. Canceling Canada Day is so far beyond the pale that words haven't been invented that describe that level of lunacy.
It’s evident by your posts on the subject you understand an awful lot more than the average person about the history of residential schools. I also can tell that the ignorance on the subject you’ve seen in the recent discussions here frustrates you. I don’t like this idea either but I get where the people advocating for it are coming from, 30 years of “yeah whatever” is going to push people into extreme positions.

If not this, how do we close the gap?
Old 06-28-2021, 05:21 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
It’s evident by your posts on the subject you understand an awful lot more than the average person about the history of residential schools. I also can tell that the ignorance on the subject you’ve seen in the recent discussions here frustrates you. I don’t like this idea either but I get where the people advocating for it are coming from, 30 years of “yeah whatever” is going to push people into extreme positions.

well the powers that be can start by treating all equal as Canadian citizens...no more no less...Sns2 had a post earlier that pretty much summed it up but that would take a lot of hard discussions, harsh realities and a major adjustment that some are not going to accept going forward...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-28-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post

MW, I hold no real hope for meaningful change while our generation are in charge. It is my opinion that both FNMI leaders and Canadian politicians are driven by agendas. Our generation of average citizens, I believe, are tired of being told how bad we are by our various levels of gov't, further entrenching positions. This results in much of the vitriol we see here.

But, let's be honest. A lot of our members live in rural Alberta, and have been victims of a great deal of native crime. If they haven't been a victim, they likely have neighbors who have. This also contributes to the tension which is real.

Education is key. Listening and empathy is key. And, us old buzzards dying off is key.

Change takes time, but it's actually happening right now.

Currently, kids are being taught the whole enchilada about what took place. They are appalled, and sympathetic. But more than that, they are colorblind and see others as simply humans. Gay, straight, native, caucasian... it doesn't matter to young people. When native kids grow up in public schools, their history is celebrated and honored. They will see that. They will feel it too. They will not experience what they have heard from their parents and others. They will know we are not out to screw them.

I also need to say that true reconciliation will necessitate FNMI groups taking ownership of their own societal issues, and to be frank dysfunction. Anyone can change, but owning one's actions is one key.

We will see how it shakes out.

I will do my part. Others will too.

It sure as hell won't be gov't that makes the difference. It will be individuals.

That's my take.

Last edited by sns2; 06-28-2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:28 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
MW, I hold no real hope for meaningful change while our generation are in charge. It is my opinion that both FNMI leaders and Canadian politicians are driven by agendas. Our generation of average citizens, I believe, are tired of being told how bad we are by our various levels of gov't, further entrenching positions. This results in much of the vitriol we see here.

But, let's be honest. A lot of our members live in rural Alberta, and have been victims of a great deal of native crime. If they haven't been a victim, they likely have neighbors who have. This also contributes to the tension which is real.

Education is key. Listening and empathy is key. And, us old buzzards dying off is key.

Currently, kids are being taught the whole enchilada about what took place. They are appalled, and sympathetic. But more than that, they are colorblind and see others as simply humans. Gay, straight, native, caucasian... it doesn't matter to young people. When native kids grow up in public schools, their history is celebrated and honored. They will see that. They will feel it too. They will not experience what they have heard from their parents and others. They will know we are not out to screw them.

That's my take.
well said.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:

I also need to say that true reconciliation will necessitate FNMI groups taking ownership of their own societal issues, and to be frank dysfunction. Anyone can change, but owning one's actions is one key.

It sure as hell won't be gov't that makes the difference. It will be individuals.

That's my take.
I see no real change until we are so deep in debt, that the economy collapses, and we have to start all over again. There will be no money for social programs or infrastructure for anyone, so we will all be equal, in a fend for yourself world. So yes, it will be the people that make everyone equal.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:52 PM

They will be 10% at the way they are reproducing and never ask about FAS.
If they care so much about their own people and if "Every Child Matters" why on earth would they bring a child into the world with mental handicaps? Thats still our fault? Of course it is, we force the booze down the girls throat right? And the data regarding FAS is heavily based on mothers ADMITTING how much they drank. Often First Nations communities simply tell researchers to leave as the reality is so disgusting. So how much data collected on FAS in First Nations is reliable or factual? Very, very little.

No data means no problem and Trudeau can send them another blank cheque pretending to do something about the problem while chiefs line their pockets because, again, Trudeau killed the accountabiliy of First Nations to explain what happens to our tax dollars.

Its all a huge joke and it seems to be working.

There are the colonial whites always being at fault and the Natives who are never held accountable for anything. Its that simple.

The societal context is not going to change. Politicians will always cater to the votes and anybody who is not drinking the koolaid is most probably a part of the rural minority.

Hopefully we can find a back door.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:25 PM

Straight from the Communist Broadcasting Corp.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cance...ices-1.6076022

and then from another source

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canada-day...232454589.html

Cheers

SS
Old 06-28-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Anyone who would support the cancellation of Canada Day celebrations should get their bloody azzes out of this country. This is sickening. CANADA IN 2021 IS NOT A RACIST COUNTRY. There are obviously, and unfortunately, racists here, but as a whole, I defy anyone to give me an example of a measurably more tolerant country.

X10000, Bang on.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
For sure, this is beyond ridiculous.

This movement to cancel Canada Day looks to be quite the flex by those who are seeking to divide us further. It should be a day of bringing us closer together.
X2
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:

Good post, nail hit squarely on head.

For other reasons un related to this topic I have serious concerns about the leadership in this country but that is a conversation for another thread.
In the big picture we live in the absolute greatest place in the world, I would love for the cancel culture types to just plain get out and see that big picture.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:35 PM

I'm not celebrating Canada day for 2 reasons. I have a deadline on 11:59 PM July 1 that I'm likely not going to make, but I"m going to give it my best shot.

Second, Canada is done. Either the separatists will rip the Canada apart, or Turd Socks will get a majority and sell the Canada to the WEF, IMF, or whoever the mysterious 'they' are. The Conservative party is lead by a guy who would do exactly the same thing.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:

That's my take.
I don’t necessarily disagree with you here but my anecdotal experiences say otherwise. Growing up I had probably a dozen native or Métis friends. As a kid you were right we didn’t care. And even back then their culture was celebrated in the SK school system. I remember feeling jealous of a couple at times.

Regardless, growing up, in late middle school early high school friends since elementary school began hanging out with cousins and you could just see them change. I truly believe they were indoctrinated or brainwashed. Friends I spent years with were suddenly not wanting to hang out because their cousin didn’t like us. Of the dozen 3 actually made something of themselves and I am still close friends with today. They would tell me stories about relatives trying to convince them of behaviour I don’t even want to mention here.

So even with the young the old-guard seems to convert enough that I think change will not happen. I also know that this situation happens with all creeds and races but in my situation I know more friends that turned on me because I was white than I know of individuals that stopped being friends because an individual was native.

I hope I’m wrong, but I think change will come from a very harsh situation like elk11 suggests before we see a new generation turn things around.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:14 AM

Default Residential schools

I have an Ojibway friend who was raised in Ontario and went to residential schools growing up .She has nothing negative to say about them.Other's mileage/experiences may vary.Nor am i responsible for what some other "white man " did.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:31 AM

If we are going to cancel anything, let’s cancel income tax. I’m extremely offended by how the fed govt spends our tax dollars
Old 06-29-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
I have an Ojibway friend who was raised in Ontario and went to residential schools growing up .She has nothing negative to say about them.Other's mileage/experiences may vary.Nor am i responsible for what some other "white man " did.
Or whatever any other monsters out there did yesterday, today and tomorrow....can’t paint all with the same brush but to those that do horrible things to people share one thing in common.....a rope around the neck!

The rest of us celebrate Canada Day

Old 06-29-2021, 07:19 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
anyone who would support the cancellation of canada day celebrations should get their bloody azzes out of this country. This is sickening. canada in 2021 is not a racist country. there are obviously, and unfortunately, racists here, but as a whole, i defy anyone to give me an example of a measurably more tolerant country.

Can we be more supportive, and become more educated about how residential schools have affected our first nations? Of course. But we are not a racist country. Canceling canada day is so far beyond the pale that words haven't been invented that describe that level of lunacy.
👍👍👍👍👍👍
Old 06-29-2021, 07:53 AM

to be honest Canada has lost enough of its identity.
Do we even know who we are anymore.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:54 AM

Still friends with my old Indian buds, though I don't see them often as they live 1000 to 3500 kms away but we still talk occasionally. Most are what other indians call white indians because they are jealous. They put the past away, saw the opportunity, took advantage and have done very well, most far better than I.

Not one of them would ever go back to the reserve. Most reserves are breeding grounds for apathy, addiction, low self esteem and so forth. That is one of the fundamental problems and it is not their fault, they are products of their environment. No different than some kid born into a welfare drug addicted gang lifestyle in some ghetto in Detroit, Edmonton or Maskwasis.

The more social programs, money and such we throw at the problem only encourages complacency, apathy and verifies their victim state. We can't heal them that way. It's a sad situation. We can't change this with apologies and settlements, they only go so far. All we can do is give them the tools, encourage, support them. Healing comes from within, they have to do their part. The door is open, we got to coax them out of their comfort zone of misery and get them to step through it somehow, that seems to be the hardest part. That goes for all races and colors that are born and raised in bad environments.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:05 AM

This survey is extremely disappointing !!!!!!

No option for ‘Do away with Canada day and replace it with Celebrate Chicks that can walk around with bikini tops and cutoff short shorts for a month!!”

You KNOW most of our angst here is because we don’t celebrate the good stuff!

Very very disappointed in the OP.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 06-29-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I don’t necessarily disagree with you here but my anecdotal experiences say otherwise. Growing up I had probably a dozen native or Métis friends. As a kid you were right we didn’t care. And even back then their culture was celebrated in the SK school system. I remember feeling jealous of a couple at times.

Regardless, growing up, in late middle school early high school friends since elementary school began hanging out with cousins and you could just see them change. I truly believe they were indoctrinated or brainwashed. Friends I spent years with were suddenly not wanting to hang out because their cousin didn’t like us. Of the dozen 3 actually made something of themselves and I am still close friends with today. They would tell me stories about relatives trying to convince them of behaviour I don’t even want to mention here.

So even with the young the old-guard seems to convert enough that I think change will not happen. I also know that this situation happens with all creeds and races but in my situation I know more friends that turned on me because I was white than I know of individuals that stopped being friends because an individual was native.

I hope I’m wrong, but I think change will come from a very harsh situation like elk11 suggests before we see a new generation turn things around.

I'm inclined to agree with you.

I do have to say, though... What I see my kids going through at school (and being able to listen in to their online classrooms recently has been an eye-opener) I can see this fomenting a level of fatigue and, potentially, resentment.

Being told that everything that is wrong with our society is their fault and shaming them for not being special enough due to race and sexual proclivity is causing many to tune out.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:

You are absolutely right.If we let this day get changed to something else would be pitiful.Imagine if these fools tried to pull this off for July 4th.No chance in hell.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
to be honest Canada has lost enough of its identity.
Do we even know who we are anymore.

By the sounds of things, we're a country that's about to re-elect this clown with a majority. Doesn't that make everyone feel warm and fuzzy?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-30-2021, 05:30 AM

If you cancel the day you should go to work.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
If you cancel the day you should go to work.
Go a step farther, if they cancel Canada Day then it's not a holiday so not only do people have to go to work but they don't get the stat holiday pay.

Of course this wouldn't affect the ones making the most noise about cancelling Canada day.

I personally don't care one way or the other as I will celebrate Canada day by shoot 300 clay targets at the Stampede Grand in Calgary in +35 heat

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Go a step farther, if they cancel Canada Day then it's not a holiday so not only do people have to go to work but they don't get the stat holiday pay.

Of course this wouldn't affect the ones making the most noise about cancelling Canada day.

I personally don't care one way or the other as I will celebrate Canada day by shoot 300 clay targets at the Stampede Grand in Calgary in +35 heat
The people shouting the loudest about not celebrating July 1 likely don't work for a living anyways. We will be out shooting skeet as usual on July 1.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
By the sounds of things, we're a country that's about to re-elect this clown with a majority. Doesn't that make everyone feel warm and fuzzy?

[IMG]
This freaking idiot should be strung up from the highest tree.
Closed Thread