Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2021, 02:34 PM

Default Trucks

Hi. I’m looking for some consensus on the best used truck for my needs.

I currently own a 2015 Tacoma Trd Sport Double Cab with canopy and low kms.
It’s been a great truck, I’m just looking for more payload.

I am looking for something that I can put a 1000-1500lb truck camper in and still have the payload to throw mountain bikes or a small trailer on the hitch. I realize that can be accomplished with most any half ton. What’s the most you would throw in a Tacoma box? I realize there’s a difference between rated capacity and what sort of makes sense practically.

I’m not looking to spend anymore than what I can get for my truck and if I “downgrade” and save some cash it can be put towards the truck camper. I’m also not in any rush. I have until next summer to decide what I want to do.

I don’t think I have many deal breakers. It has to have 4*4, minimum 6’ box, a second row of seating and heated front seats. It won’t actually be driven that much, it will be reserved for trips and the odd errand. For the most part I run my errands and commute with my Jetta.

I realize asking guys about best in class truck can be a contentious issue but I’m even just looking for tips like “avoid anything with a Triton”.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2021, 02:42 PM

If you want to put a 1500 lb camper in the box, that starts putting you into 3/4 ton territory.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:05 PM

The truck camper I prefer is around 1200lbs. Are most 1500’s not rated for 2200’s of payload these days?
Old 06-19-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
If you want to put a 1500 lb camper in the box, that starts putting you into 3/4 ton territory.

Absolutely, and you might as well get the 8' box so the camper sits in it properly, not hanging out over the end. There are NO good deals on trucks right now. I bought brand new because it was cheaper to wait 4 months than to buy a one or two year old used. I could sell the truck I order March 31 for almost 25,000 more than I bought it for, based on the prices on 2021s on the lot. I saw a 2019 Ram gas 3500 long box with 80,000 Klms, fairly basic Bighorn package yesterday, asking $58,000. A brand new 2021 is $63,000.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
The truck camper I prefer is around 1200lbs. Are most 1500’s not rated for 2200’s of payload these days?

Take a look at the sticker inside the door. Most half tons will only give you 1500 lbs of payload. A properly equipped one might get you close to 2000. Any kind of offroad package will reduce the payload.

Even my last Ram 2500 diesel only had 1960lbs of payload...
Old 06-19-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
Take a look at the sticker inside the door. Most half tons will only give you 1500 lbs of payload. A properly equipped one might get you close to 2000. Any kind of offroad package will reduce the payload.

Even my last Ram 2500 diesel only had 1960lbs of payload...

Other thing to know, from about 2017 or so, the rear springs on a Dodge 2500 are coils. They ride really nice compared to leaf springs, even with the solid rear axle. IF you are going to pack a camper around you will need to add air bags. If it was me, I would just buy a 3500 as they still have regular leaf springs. When I was using campers, I found more truck to be way better than not enough truck. Same camper on a 1/2 ton ford versus a 1994 Dodge 3/4 ton made all the difference in the world.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:31 PM

So 3/4 ton minimum. I guess that makes sense, the last time I drove to the Yukon most campers were sitting on 1-ton trucks. They were super big campers though.

In terms of a camper I hope to stay minimal, 6.5-8’ floor length. There’s a new company, Scout, that has some minimally sized truck campers. I guess google and some of their adds had me thinking I could go smaller.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Not even close. 1440 on my ram 1500, and remember that includes you, gas and everything else you have in it, not just what’s in the box.

You don’t want to be running close to max on a 3/4 ton either, you can easily destroy the suspension doing that. Well into 1 ton range with that kind of camper and gear.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:48 PM

This is eye opening. I guess exactly why I’m asking questions.

Why when I google 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 does it list the payload as 2430lbs for the 5.3l. What am I misunderstanding?
Old 06-19-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
This is eye opening. I guess exactly why I’m asking questions.

Why when I google 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 does it list the payload as 2430lbs for the 5.3l. What am I misunderstanding?
Configuration: more stuff = less payload. Buckets, bigger cabs, electronics, etc etc etc. can vary by several hundred pounds. You are looking at a reg cab stat I’m guessing.

Suspension: all over the place for what comes on different packages

FWIW, when i had a work truck we ran dodge 3/4 Cummins with a 8 foot bed/insulated camper, and ~ 100 lbs of equipment. That worked ok, iirc at the time we were about 400 under max, but there was only one or two adults and not much else. If you had extra fuel, water, gear, more people, dead animals etc. it would have been very easy to exceed the max payload.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:16 PM

Good thread ..... and I'm also glad someone mentioned that your total weight includes people in the cab and the tongue weight on the trailer.

I was shocked when I actually did some math on what I consider a "normal trip" - In cab with 2 guys, our stuff and the stuff we put into the bed (coolers, spare tire, some tools, camping gear, etc..) we were 1000lbs. My Boat's tow weight - with trailer is roughly 4,500 lbs .... meaning I'm likely another 450-600 pounds on the tongue putting me at 1500lbs already - which is right where any typical crew cab 4x4 half ton is rated for !!!!!!!

A full sized half ton is not enough for many people and I'm sure many of them don't even know it....
Old 06-19-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
A full sized half ton is not enough for many people and I'm sure many of them don't even know it....
I think you’re right. You see a lot of half tons out there with truck campers on the back all season long!
Old 06-20-2021, 09:18 AM

EZM is right.

Fuel on a full tank 150 lbs
Two adults and two kids 500 lbs
Other fluids in vehicle 40 lbs
Spare tire 60 lbs
With just those basic items you have already used up 750 pounds.

The 2021 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 gas motor is rated for 4010 lbs payload, trailer pull of 17,000 lbs. GVW of 11,000 Lbs. The 2021 1500 has a max payload of 2,300 lbs. Both of these are much higher than older half and three quarter tons. My 1996 3/4 tom is only rated for a payload of 3,000 lbs with a GVW of 9,800 Lbs.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Good thread ..... and I'm also glad someone mentioned that your total weight includes people in the cab and the tongue weight on the trailer.

I was shocked when I actually did some math on what I consider a "normal trip" - In cab with 2 guys, our stuff and the stuff we put into the bed (coolers, spare tire, some tools, camping gear, etc..) we were 1000lbs. My Boat's tow weight - with trailer is roughly 4,500 lbs .... meaning I'm likely another 450-600 pounds on the tongue putting me at 1500lbs already - which is right where any typical crew cab 4x4 half ton is rated for !!!!!!!

This is exactly why people with experience tend to drive one ton pickups and FWIW diesels make moving loads and towing much nicer…
Old 06-20-2021, 04:21 PM

Go bigger than you think. A one ton is what you're after.

And gas jobs often offer a greater payload and towing capacity than the oil burners. Same chassis, suspension, axles etc with a 500 to 800 lb savings on the engine.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:09 PM

A couple of things to think about with 3/4 or one ton is heavier duty brakes, heavier rear ends, front ends & so on. With the bad road conditions these days even my one ton takes a beating. When pulling that kind of weight stopping distance becomes could be a factor.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Meal Farm View Post
Go bigger than you think. A one ton is what you're after.

And gas jobs often offer a greater payload and towing capacity than the oil burners. Same chassis, suspension, axles etc with a 500 to 800 lb savings on the engine.
If your deciding between gas and diesel I would seriously ponder how much your really going to use it. The cost savings between the two add up fast if your not using it a ton. For example, I just got back camping with some friends in Wyoming, they have a nice 2018 F250 diesel they tow their 5000# camper with. In 3 years they have only put on 16000 miles. I have a 2018 F150 and tow a 3500#ish camper and can guarantee I've spent significantly less on my truck than they did. Both he and I have work trucks provided to us by our employer so we don't drive our personal vehicles much. In his case, yes while a diesel will tow faster, it won't tow that much faster to overcome the cost difference between what the 6.2 gas and 6.7 diesel initial purchase price and maintenance. That is however, the wonderful thing about living where we do, nothing says you have to have one or the other. If you got the $$ then get what you like.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Not even close. 1440 on my ram 1500, and remember that includes you, gas and everything else you have in it, not just what’s in the box.

You don’t want to be running close to max on a 3/4 ton either, you can easily destroy the suspension doing that. Well into 1 ton range with that kind of camper and gear.
This right here!!!

I have seen Ram ecodiesel with a payload sticker of 850 pounds!!! Almost useless for towing but gets the good fuel economy.

2200 plus for payload would only come in a max payload 150.
When you see the truck you mentioned with the 2000 pounds plus payload that is the stripped down base model configuration. I had a max tow 150 lariat. It had 7700 GVWR. My payload was still on 1460...... meaning the truck itself was over 6200 pounds.

Go 250 2500 series for sure and be safe!!!!
Old 06-21-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Hi. I’m looking for some consensus on the best used truck for my needs.

I currently own a 2015 Tacoma Trd Sport Double Cab with canopy and low kms.
It’s been a great truck, I’m just looking for more payload.

I am looking for something that I can put a 1000-1500lb truck camper in and still have the payload to throw mountain bikes or a small trailer on the hitch. I realize that can be accomplished with most any half ton. What’s the most you would throw in a Tacoma box? I realize there’s a difference between rated capacity and what sort of makes sense practically.

I’m not looking to spend anymore than what I can get for my truck and if I “downgrade” and save some cash it can be put towards the truck camper. I’m also not in any rush. I have until next summer to decide what I want to do.

I don’t think I have many deal breakers. It has to have 4*4, minimum 6’ box, a second row of seating and heated front seats. It won’t actually be driven that much, it will be reserved for trips and the odd errand. For the most part I run my errands and commute with my Jetta.

I realize asking guys about best in class truck can be a contentious issue but I’m even just looking for tips like “avoid anything with a Triton”.

Thanks!
Hey Prairiekid,
I pretty much just went through the same scenario as you.

I had a 2013 Taco doublecab long box. We used it to tow a bigfoot trailer in the past, firewood, renos, hauling, etc....awesome truck...

I know I overloaded my Taco on a couple occasions, I think I had close to 1500lbs of laminate flooring in the bed once

I ended up installing Sumo Springs brand spring bump stops. These replaced the factory bump stops and were larger and higher, therefore allowing the truck to remain level at higher payloads and increased the payload by 1000lbs. I am not advocating overloading your truck, but I got these so that my truck would remain level and still handle good when loaded up and towing. Do your research on these...they may be all you need and only cost about $300 and took about an hour to install. No messing around with air bags and such.
I do use my trucks a lot though for hauling firewood, camping, etc. This year we bought a 24' (total length) travel trailer, and even though my Tacoma could pull it, on paper, I decided to upgrade. Where we live in the Kootenays, there's lots of hills and in reality I was tired of always having a smaller truck when I could really use a bigger one. I absolutely enjoyed my Taco for the 8 years I owned it since new and had zero issued with. Sold it for the same price that I paid for for a mint condition 2013 F150 V8 crewcab, which had 100k less than my Taco.

I did extensive research on full size trucks before I bought the F150. There is a lot of info thrown around about high payloads for newer half tons, but honestly you need to research this.
I was always looking at crewcabs, 4x4, and the lowest payloads were Ram 1500, and Silverado/Sierra, and Tundra. Although a Tundra was my first choice, it only had about 100lb more payload than my Taco. The better payload trucks were the F150's. This obviously changes depending on equipment, bed size, etc...

From what you are describing, seems like a nicely rated (payload) half ton would work for you. Would bigger truck be better? Sure, but are they overkill? Maybe. You have to decide what is actually needed and what you will have to live with and drive. I actually wanted to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton as well, but after driving one and being realistic with my actual needs (4500lbs travel trailer fully loaded, and hauling firewood), I decided to go with a half ton instead. It would have been overkill, and the comfort level and handling of a half ton was much better.
My payload now with the F150 is 1770lbs, which is more than adequate for our needs.

Anyways, good luck with your search and decisions.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
Hey Prairiekid,
I pretty much just went through the same scenario as you.

I had a 2013 Taco doublecab long box. We used it to tow a bigfoot trailer in the past, firewood, renos, hauling, etc....awesome truck...

I know I overloaded my Taco on a couple occasions, I think I had close to 1500lbs of laminate flooring in the bed once

I ended up installing Sumo Springs brand spring bump stops. These replaced the factory bump stops and were larger and higher, therefore allowing the truck to remain level at higher payloads and increased the payload by 1000lbs. I am not advocating overloading your truck, but I got these so that my truck would remain level and still handle good when loaded up and towing. Do your research on these...they may be all you need and only cost about $300 and took about an hour to install. No messing around with air bags and such.
I do use my trucks a lot though for hauling firewood, camping, etc. This year we bought a 24' (total length) travel trailer, and even though my Tacoma could pull it, on paper, I decided to upgrade. Where we live in the Kootenays, there's lots of hills and in reality I was tired of always having a smaller truck when I could really use a bigger one. I absolutely enjoyed my Taco for the 8 years I owned it since new and had zero issued with. Sold it for the same price that I paid for for a mint condition 2013 F150 V8 crewcab, which had 100k less than my Taco.

I did extensive research on full size trucks before I bought the F150. There is a lot of info thrown around about high payloads for newer half tons, but honestly you need to research this.
I was always looking at crewcabs, 4x4, and the lowest payloads were Ram 1500, and Silverado/Sierra, and Tundra. Although a Tundra was my first choice, it only had about 100lb more payload than my Taco. The better payload trucks were the F150's. This obviously changes depending on equipment, bed size, etc...

From what you are describing, seems like a nicely rated (payload) half ton would work for you. Would bigger truck be better? Sure, but are they overkill? Maybe. You have to decide what is actually needed and what you will have to live with and drive. I actually wanted to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton as well, but after driving one and being realistic with my actual needs (4500lbs travel trailer fully loaded, and hauling firewood), I decided to go with a half ton instead. It would have been overkill, and the comfort level and handling of a half ton was much better.
My payload now with the F150 is 1770lbs, which is more than adequate for our needs.

Anyways, good luck with your search and decisions.
Agree with all statements except.... increase payload by 1000... I do get what you mean though. Nothing can be added to increase payload but you can add on to help the real world experience.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. Tacomama, thanks for sharing your thought process when you upgraded from your Tacoma. It's nice that I'm not in any rush and have the ability to shop around and do a bit more research.

I favor a gas engine because the truck will be sitting unused for days at a time, when it does get used to run an errand it will be for a 5 min trip. Other than that it would be used for camping/hunting trips. I'm guessing it will see less that 15,000 km a year.

I don't have any brand loyalty. I would love to stick to Toyota but as Tacomama stated, their payload isn't exactly inspiring.

I have heard that going new is actually quite economical right now, my issue is I struggle to justify spending that much money on something that will mostly sit idle and I can park inside.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:49 PM

This from Federal liberal government.

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-c...in-canada.html