Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2024, 09:33 PM

Default How’s the ice on spray and upper/lower kan

Anyone been out to spray or upper/lower Kananaskis recently? Any news on how the ice has held up with the warm temps? Many thanks!
Old 03-20-2024, 08:51 AM

Plenty of ice on Spray, there is also plenty of snow on the ice, the snow was frozen on the top layer, sometimes holds you sometimes doesn't.

The road was a nightmare especially when coming back, since in the morning most potholes were frozen.

If it doesn't snow and the road is covered with compacted snow I would stay away from it, it's not worth the drive if you ask me.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:24 PM

Appreciate the insight, thanks! Any luck up there?
Old 03-21-2024, 08:06 AM

I only fished Spray Lakes somewhere before Sparrowhawk.

Last Saturday the 16th the fishing was slower than the other two times I was there earlier in the season. I did manage to get 2 trout and 4 whitefish but I fished all day and they were smaller than what I wanted.

Every day is different though.

I usually have to drive between 200KM and 400KM both ways to fish, so I fish or explore the lakes all day most of the times to make the drive worth although now is tougher since the days are getting longer.

Last edited by Fradaburidi; 03-21-2024 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:09 AM

Default Lots of Ice and Decent fishing Upper K

Over 2ft of ice on upper K when I was there on Monday. Just be careful at the canal near the dam at the interlakes lots of sketchy ice there. Walking on shore past the canal recommended. Also a layer slush under a very thin layer of ice. About 2" to 3" of slush.

Managed to land 3 Bulls. They were not very agressive. 2 of the 3 bit small dead sticked jigs, and most of them would look at my big jigging spoon,and swim away. They would barely look at big tube jigs.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:56 PM

Default Upper K Update

Fished Upper K again today. About 2ft to 1.5ft of snow on the ice. Nice solid layer of ice over the slush around the interlakes area. Slush got really bad when walking toward mid lake islands though. Was frequently breaking through into 4 to 6" of slush ontop of the main ice. Main ice was still at least 24". Wound up turning back and fishing closer to the canal.
Ice in the canal near the dam still looked very sketchy. Many dark spots on the ice there. Traveled around that section via the shore. Fished for 4 hours. Seen many many lookers on the sonar, but no takers. Threw the bloody kitchen sink at them. Lol. Seen a kid reeling one in, but it got off.