Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2022, 06:02 AM

It's a tough choice . My wife and I waited for 18 months after losing the lost dog [we had dogs for 25 years[ previously].

So then we decided on a Aussie Labradooddle and along came Archie. As a member of the family he has brought a lot a joy, happiness and so much more.
Very energetic too

For the first time we took a dog to training too , puppy classes first and then a class call Core Training which was 3 time a week for 9 weeks , recommended

I highly recommend this type of dog. We got him from a breeder in Cardston at
Parti Time Doodles

I live in Calgary if you wanted to visit him and form your own opinion just PM myself
Old 09-18-2022, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
So we have decided to look for a dog. Looking for any recommendations on breeds and breeders. Looking for a gun dog. Don't really have preference, Prefer medium size dogs. I have 2 younger girls, so they will be the family pet too. The wife would want a dog that sheds less than our Toller if that is possible.

What have you guys got?

The little bit I've looked many breeders are already wait listed to 2025. I'm hoping to find something sooner than that.
I love springers, love them. So much love for life in them, but in their younger years they can be air heads.

https://townpost.ca/marketplace/barn...niel-puppies-0

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-18-2022, 08:40 AM

Losing family pets is hard. Too many people don't understand that to some, pets are family members, not just pets. We've lost a few dogs over the years. Each time that we got another dog, didn't know if we should or not, never once regretted getting any of them!
Old 06-17-2023, 12:00 PM

Well we got a new dog yesterday. I have a new Brittany as a hunting buddy. Still miss my Toller though. I can’t wait to see him in action. He is already pointing. Its pretty cool. Never had a pointer before.
Old 06-17-2023, 01:24 PM

Congrats! Now we all wanna see the puppy pics!!!
Old 06-17-2023, 03:56 PM

Quote:
So its been basically 3 weeks since I had to put my 12 year old duck toller down. She was an awesome dog. I miss her very much. Putting her down was the hardest thing I've ever done. I owed it to her though, she hated the vet's office and loved being at the cabin. It was hard for me, but it was best for her.

She was a year older than my oldest daughter, and 3 years older than my youngest daughter. She was the only pet my kids have known. Seeing the hurt inflicted on my kids over losing their dog was tough; really tough.

I've only ever been without a dog maybe 2 years of my life. I swear losing a dog gets harder each time, not easier. The wife and I both agreed we wouldn't get another dog; it was just too painful.

Here I am 3 weeks later, I still miss my dog like crazy, but its hard not having a dog. A house just ain't a home, without a dog. What do you guys think? The wife feels the same as me. We both don't want a dog, but miss having a dog; if that makes any sense.
It makes perfect sense for me, I had the exact same situation last summer.
Dean has the best advice, get a dog right away, it makes a huge difference for yourselves and the kids.
My advice, don’t skimp on the breeder, look for exactly what you want, and spread your search to include all of Canada and US.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
It makes perfect sense for me, I had the exact same situation last summer.
Dean has the best advice, get a dog right away, it makes a huge difference for yourselves and the kids.
My advice, don’t skimp on the breeder, look for exactly what you want, and spread your search to include all of Canada and US.
The cheapest $$$ will ever spend is the initial cost and a plane ticket to get the pup home. May as well get the very best you can find.

Having said that, some of the top top breeders are right here in western Canada.

For example, lotsa great Lab breeders, but none are breeding any better pups than our very own Pixelshooter.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Well we got a new dog yesterday. I have a new Brittany as a hunting buddy. Still miss my Toller though. I can’t wait to see him in action. He is already pointing. Its pretty cool. Never had a pointer before.
Pics or it didn’t happen
Old 06-17-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Pics or it didn’t happen
I hate trying to figure out how to post pics every other year on here.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:07 PM

That's a tough go. I had to put my Lab down about 11 years ago. Tough decision but it was best for her, her health was failing on a few fronts. It was three years before I could get another dog - I now have three. You'll know when it's the right time.
Old 06-17-2023, 11:12 PM

You know when the time is right, have a excellent breeding right now they can leave as soon as tommorow. yellow labs from top end lines ,

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 06-17-2023, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
You know when the time is right, have a excellent breeding right now they can leave as soon as tommorow. yellow labs from top end lines ,

Straight up folks. No one wanting a great hunting dog would go wrong with one of these pups. I have trained and hunted with ThreeforThree’s dog Autumn, and she is pure class. A pleasure to watch. And a personality that is off the charts lovely. They are a steal at that price too.