Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2021, 08:18 PM

Default Lytton BC Hottest place in Canada just got hotter

Village evacuated, several buildings on fire and spreading.
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/wildfires-...160221739.html
Old 06-30-2021, 08:30 PM

Wont be long before smoke heads this way.Sad state with all this heat.Gonna be a long fire season.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:37 PM

Looks like the whole village is on fire now. Pray for the people there.
https://www.vicnews.com/news/lytton-...-through-town/
Old 06-30-2021, 08:50 PM

That looks really bad and not going to be easy to get under control
Old 06-30-2021, 11:31 PM

Unfortunately for BC, they've made their bed now they have to sleep in it.

Poor forestry principles including spraying and manually removing regenerating Aspen and Poplar (natural fire breaks) to create Conifer-only forests.

The centuries old strategy of over-suppressing the natural fire cycle of the Boreal doesn't help either..
Old 06-30-2021, 11:50 PM

The town is gone. The hospital is gone. It was fast. I hope everyone made it out.

I grew up spending my summers and falls there. I am absolutely gutted. Yes, the province has made mistakes but the people who lived there tried their damndest to be safe and make a life for themselves. Now they have have nothing. My heart hurts tonight.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
The town is gone. The hospital is gone. It was fast. I hope everyone made it out.

I grew up spending my summers and falls there. I am absolutely gutted. Yes, the province has made mistakes but the people who lived there tried their damndest to be safe and make a life for themselves. Now they have have nothing. My heart hurts tonight.
Wow, that's beyond terrible. I couldn't even imagine.

Thoughts & prayers for all of them. What a horrible thing to happen.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post

Poor forestry principles including spraying and manually removing regenerating Aspen and Poplar (natural fire breaks) to create Conifer-only forests.

The centuries old strategy of over-suppressing the natural fire cycle of the Boreal doesn't help either..
Lytton is not one of the areas suffering from poor forestry management. The are is naturally very dry and consists of more sage than poplar. This is not the boreal forest. Your opinion about forestry practices is valid in other parts of BC but not here

I spent plenty of time hunting in the area and at one time owned a trapline in the area. Trying to contact a friend to see if he was home for this or away for work. Odds are he is stressing either way
Old 07-01-2021, 06:47 AM

Can't imagine loosing everything in a matter of minutes, take what's on your back and leave that must be sickening when you hear that, I feel for them.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
75% of BC is not even considered to be in the Boreal and Lytton is probably 500+kms from the closest spot to be considered part of the Boreal.

My heart goes out to the residents of Lytton. I’ve lived through a wildfire that raged across the city and the worst part for me and my family was not knowing if we had anything to go back to and there will be a lot of people who lived in Lytton waking up this morning not knowing if they have anything left.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post

Sorry to hear that this morning. Praying for the residents. Such a brutal time for them
Old 07-01-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:

I logged in this area, always was conifer dominant, poplar has always been less than 1%, it is dry belt fir and pine, arid semi desert in the valley bottoms where communities are located. Always has been.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:35 PM

According the the live broadcast I just watched Horgan said that 95% of the community is totally destroyed…
Old 07-01-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
75% of BC is not even considered to be in the Boreal and Lytton is probably 500+kms from the closest spot to be considered part of the Boreal.

My heart goes out to the residents of Lytton. I’ve lived through a wildfire that raged across the city and the worst part for me and my family was not knowing if we had anything to go back to and there will be a lot of people who lived in Lytton waking up this morning not knowing if they have anything left.
I know exactly what you are talking about!
Cat
Old 07-01-2021, 05:49 PM

Small town, everyone knows everyone, tough situation for all. Hope at least everyone is safe!
Old 07-01-2021, 07:38 PM

My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to the folks of that little community. I was only there once while in elementary school. It was my Dads cousins home and he owned a restaurant/hotel back then (70's).
Even that one time I recall it being hotter than I had ever experienced in my young life. Terrible loss for all who call it home.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:36 PM

Default The litton fire

Things are going downhill very fast in that area. My son bought a fishing and camping resort in the area and after battling this covid crap is now on evacuation alert with fire closing in on two sides. Another dry thunderstorm moved in with lightening strikes all over. They are packing to be ready to move any time. My prayers will be at hard work tonite.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:53 PM

I can’t even imagine! Prayers to them and hope everyone made it out in ti
E!