Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-24-2017, 09:34 AM
Banned

Default Spring Turkey Hunt

Hi guys. First post since I was sent to penalty box a couple months ago. I was thinking of just stopping posting on AO again, but I have met too many good people here, and have recieved and shared too much good info, to let one bad incident ruin it for me.

Anyways....... Just returned from my first spring Turkey hunt with my brother in the East Kootenay area. What an incredible learning experiance. Turns out that hunting Turkey is similar to hunting coyotes. You can call them, decoy them, or spend all day driving the roads trying to spot them. We mixed and matched all the above, though we had to experiment a lot with all the new calls and stuff that we had never used before, and could not be purchaced in the Edmonton area.
I had been told that the Turkey's were everywhere and were becomming a nuisance. Sure, maybe if you live in the area you will have problems with them terrorizing your pets, kids and livestock just like coyotes do here in AB, but seeing them out on crown land is no easy thing. We had each brought our shotguns, but soon learned that unless you had the proper calls and were in a blind, the big Tom's were extremely shy to get into shotgun range, and in the spring only bearded turkey's are legal. One of the locals did take a bearded hen, which made a delicious stir fry.
In the end, we each got our Gobbler. My brother took his double bearded (8" beard), 26 pounder at 70 yds with his .17 HMR. He is getting a full mount behind glass with head included, which gets sent to Kentucky to be freeze dried.
Mine was the Big Dog. 32 lbs. and a 9 1/2" beard, both spurs intact. 99yds with the .22 mag. I plan on a DIY feather mount in the future. I was wearing my lucky oiler camo, as it was game 6 day. It worked both ways!
What a great first Turkey hunt and I'll never forget the first time I heard them gobbling. I'll be going back.

Pics on next post

Last edited by Morbius131; 04-24-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:37 AM
Banned

IMG_2615.jpgIMG_2614.jpgIMG_2597.jpgIMG_2612.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 09:38 AM
Banned

IMG_2600.jpgIMG_2601.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 09:39 AM

You can shoot them with rifles?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
When I was younger I read an article in a magazine about turkey hunting in the States.
The ensuing letters to the editor in the next month were interesting to say the least, between those that advocated rifles and those that advocated shotgun only!
About as good as any other divided groups!!
Depending on the state/provincial rules, it is what it is.
Cat
Old 04-24-2017, 09:47 AM

Welcome back Ninja!

Rimfire rifles in BC are allowed.

LC
Old 04-24-2017, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Yes you can. Has to be a rimfire cartridge. A couple months ago I was asking members about rimfire's to try and make a choice. Have to say, I like the savage A17 semi auto the best. Those are big tough birds and a second very quick shot can come in handy.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:54 AM

Congrats waterninja. What are the licensing requirements for a non-resident hunting turkeys in BC if you do not mind me asking.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Banned

Nice birds! Congratulations! What do they taste like in comparison to domestic turkey's?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Congrats waterninja. What are the licensing requirements for a non-resident hunting turkeys in BC if you do not mind me asking.
Couldn't be easier. You can buy your licence right over the counter. One problem is actually finding a counter. Most small towns did not have a "Service BC" counter, and some "Service BC" counters did not have the proper forms. Cranbrook was closest town for me.
Quite honestly, once your there, everything is close, including the Montana Border that we accidentally crossed into. lol
Old 04-24-2017, 10:02 AM
Banned

Wow, nice Toms! Did not realize they were that big and a new item on my bucket list.

Do you have to go on a draw or can you hunt them on a general tag? Congratulations on two exceptional birds.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Hi guys. First post since I was sent to penalty box a couple months ago. I was thinking of just stopping posting on AO again, but I have met too many good people here, and have recieved and shared too much good info, to let one bad incident ruin it for me.

Anyways....... Just returned from my first spring Turkey hunt with my brother in the East Kootenay area. What an incredible learning experiance. Turns out that hunting Turkey is similar to hunting coyotes. You can call them, decoy them, or spend all day driving the roads trying to spot them. We mixed and matched all the above, though we had to experiment a lot with all the new calls and stuff that we had never used before, and could not be purchaced in the Edmonton area.
I had been told that the Turkey's were everywhere and were becomming a nuisance. Sure, maybe if you live in the area you will have problems with them terrorizing your pets, kids and livestock just like coyotes do here in AB, but seeing them out on crown land is no easy thing. We had each brought our shotguns, but soon learned that unless you had the proper calls and were in a blind, the big Tom's were extremely shy to get into shotgun range, and in the spring only bearded turkey's are legal. One of the locals did take a bearded hen, which made a delicious stir fry.
In the end, we each got our Gobbler. My brother took his double bearded (8" beard), 26 pounder at 70 yds with his .17 HMR. He is getting a full mount behind glass with head included, which gets sent to Kentucky to be freeze dried.
Mine was the Big Dog. 32 lbs. and a 9 1/2" beard, both spurs intact. 99yds with the .22 mag. I plan on a DIY feather mount in the future. I was wearing my lucky oiler camo, as it was game 6 day. It worked both ways!
What a great first Turkey hunt and I'll never forget the first time I heard them gobbling. I'll be going back.

Pics on next post

Congratulation to you and your brother!
Old 04-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Banned

2 questions that were bothering me and I couldn't find in my research...
... Can you bait Turkey's?
... Can you use an electronic caller?

Either in AB or BC
Old 04-24-2017, 10:09 AM

Cool hunt. Congrats
Old 04-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13mileranch View Post
Nice birds! Congratulations! What do they taste like in comparison to domestic turkey's?
It all tastes like chicken to me. lol Really, i couldn't tell the difference, though the hens breast meat was much firmer then the Toms.
didn't bother with the drumsticks. All muscle and sinew. You should see these things run. Neck and head stuck out low and as fast as a Coyote. Quite a sight, esp. when trying to find in your scope at 50-70 yds. Just a blur.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:59 AM

Nice!!!!!
Old 04-24-2017, 12:23 PM

Nice birds Ninja.
I'm pretty pumped, we're heading to east Kootenays on Friday for a three day hunt. First time.
Crown land.
I was going to just bring the 12 gauge but after reading your post, think the semi auto 22 will be along as well.

Were they gobbling yet?
Were they still in the low country Or did you see em at higher elevations?
Old 04-24-2017, 12:27 PM

Great hunt ....thanks for posting

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 04-24-2017, 12:32 PM

Nice birds
Old 04-24-2017, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes you can. Has to be a rimfire cartridge. A couple months ago I was asking members about rimfire's to try and make a choice. Have to say, I like the savage A17 semi auto the best. Those are big tough birds and a second very quick shot can come in handy.
I should have mentioned that in the fall it is shtgun only for Turkey. No rimfire for fall season.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:09 PM
Banned

They gobble at first light then you don't hear them much during the day. They stopped gobbling at a couple places in the mornings once they were pressured. They will answer to, and come towards a gobble.
Best tip I can give you is to get a "gobbler" from a sports shop or canadian tire in Cranbrook. I got mine from Mountain Men sports shop there. Drive around and stop now and then, walk in and gobble. If you see a hen, stop and gobble. good luck. share a pic when you get back.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:12 PM

Beautiful birds!

I sure don't want to borrow your scale, I would weigh 300 lbs.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-24-2017, 01:22 PM

Default Nice Work!

Heading out for my first Turkey Hunt this weekend, thanks for posting what you learned.

I only have land access around the Radium area and I am optimistic I can cover enough ground to cross paths with the big flock of birds I saw down low in the valley all winter.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Beautiful birds!

I sure don't want to borrow your scale, I would weigh 300 lbs.
Hardy har har. Same scale I use to weigh big fish. lol It's close enough. Nothing can take away from the size and beauty of those birds. I still break out a smile a couple times a day when I think of them.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:11 PM

Out-Standing! Great stuff Ninja.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:16 PM

Very cool. Glad you're back on the forum too.
Congrats Ernest
Old 04-24-2017, 06:37 PM

Nice job!

Was in Ontario the past week and seen many turkeys. Did not know BC had such a sizeable population.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:49 PM

Great job!! Birds look fantastic!! Can't wait to go on a hunt some day.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I should have mentioned that in the fall it is shtgun only for Turkey. No rimfire for fall season.
Weird

Its just the opposite in Idaho. Shotgun or bow only in the spring. Any weapon in the fall, cause they are almost impossible to call in the fall.

Nice gobblers Ninja
Old 04-24-2017, 07:20 PM

Default Nice big gobbler's.

I love Turkey hunting maybe next year I'll get out that way.