Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-23-2017, 10:22 PM

Default Power Drifter

I've been toying with the idea of getting power drifter for the rivers etc. Any ideas on good ones or what to stay away from? How about power? What is minimum required on the Bow? Want something that rows well too.
Thx
Old 04-23-2017, 10:36 PM

Buddy has a Hyde. Very nice boat with a 60 on it. They are heavy so don't expect the boat to respond to the oars like a drift boat. Not bad to row, but if you quickly want to change banks we just use the motor to move over
Old 04-24-2017, 06:25 AM

You could try Explorer Industries in Edmonton. I know they make them but I personally don't know anything about drifters to know what's good and what's not. I bought a small outboard jet from them and all good experiences. Talk to Dave, he'll answer all your questions and custom build whatever you want.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:59 AM

There was a guide in Calgary, "Duchy", who had a Hyde power drifter. Went out with him once and there didn't appear to be any difficulty with rowing and control along the banks. In and out at Policemen's so obviously no shuttle needed.

A good solid boat. Does not appear to the kind of vessel that will win popularity
contests with others on the Bow though.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:16 AM

I could tell you a funny story about the Dutchster and a kids alligator floaty ring that ended with the RCMP and an Ambulance. He was no different in his previous endeavours than he was guiding.

I understand the dislike of the jet boats but they do have their place. If you have a few hours and want to go fishing by yourself they are the ticket for getting to places on the river and not having to worry about a shuttle. I'm not looking at guiding or anything else. Just being able to get to spots to fish on either side of the river.

And if you want to hit certain lakes not being worried about the wind coming up like you would be on a pontoon.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:44 PM

Default Power Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHRVN View Post
You could try Explorer Industries in Edmonton. I know they make them but I personally don't know anything about drifters to know what's good and what's not. I bought a small outboard jet from them and all good experiences. Talk to Dave, he'll answer all your questions and custom build whatever you want.
We had Dave do up the Explorer 16 ft 60/40 jet for floating rivers. It's has been a good boat to us. It's been on the Bow, NSR, Skeena, RDR, Montana and several lakes.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:58 PM

I have a Koffler jet drifter - which is more of a sled that has oars. I went this route as I already have a drift boat if I want to do an actual drift with passengers and for all the rivers I fish where you cannot take power (Montana etc). As has already been mentioned do not expect any power drifter to row like a regular drift boat - I have been in hyde's, fish rite's and others and they are basically all the same except for General interior lay out. You are dealing with a square stern with a few hundred pounds hanging off it...

For power any jet drifter will need a minimum 60/40 but would do better with more. Jets are weight sensitive - I have a 60/40 and am good to go on my own but throw passengers and gear in and there is a dramatic reduction in performance. I will be upgrading to a 90/65 shortly.

If you are in calgary and want to stop by you are more than welcome - could also meet up on the river.

Regards,