Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Speed threads. Can always count on them for action.

That and the Flames blowing up in the playoffs
Old 04-23-2017, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Well good God! My eyes have been opened. I never realized driving cement trucks was so dangerous. Can't believe I survived driving the speed limit in gravel, grain and cement trucks when I was 16. (maybe a little younger )

We as a society need to step up to the plate and help Lafarge save lives. Get in front of the cement trucks and get on your brakes. If 10 under is a little safer then lets get them 40km/hr under and save the whole freaking world. We can do it! It takes a community.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
I completely agree. Cause traffic back up which results in frustrated drives who may take a chance they wouldn't normally have taken.
this is the same logic that a wife beater uses , " dont make me hit you again !"

frustrated or not , drivers are responsible for their actions . period .
Old 04-23-2017, 07:08 PM

Makes me wanna buy a cement truck and split shift that old five and four up to 110.....

And Don....

It's hayseed...
Old 04-23-2017, 08:04 PM

If the posted speed limit is Max 90Kmh and they are doing 80Kmh then what is the problem ?
Slow down and smell the coffee, it aint how fast one gets there.
It is getting there is what counts.
Rob
Old 04-23-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
I have to disagree with you Brad mixers are no different, and yes I've drin one I ran a tandem tandem for lafarge for 2 years, only time they are an issue is speeding when coming into or off of a merge corner. How many years have you driven truck.
I was comparing a mixer to a passenger car not another commercial truck. Mixer, dump, vac truck, dont care wich, don't drive like a passenger car. On a test track I have pushed the boundaries on big trucks a couple of times. And its impressive what you can do with them. but they dont stop, accelerated, or corner like a passenger car. The risks are also much greater behind the wheel of a big truck.
I have ran tandem truck in city for 10 years. Not saying I'm the most experienced truck driver out there, average at best.
But I stay to the right and am usually at the speed limit or under.
I just think its a non issue on multi lane highways, as I said before single lane is another story.
Brad
Old 04-23-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
What does a "massive, heavy concrete truck that travels a lot within the city" have to do with recording drivers and sending it in?????????

Edmonton has some serious issues with it's Vision Zero plan. You guys need a different city council. Yikes. Truly embarrassing that some think this is a good idea.
Yeah I'll agree that's a bit offside, but frankly I'd be shocked if anyone received a ticket from something like that (but at the same time, not in the slightest). The idea of not having cement trucks not speeding around the city isn't an issue to me, however.

It's a well known fact that all of Edmonton's city council is a joke ran by a group of arrogant, self righteous morons. Just something you have to accept living in Redmonton sometimes...
Old 04-24-2017, 03:46 AM
Banned

Glad I don't work there anymore !

I'm still Union but with a better company, and I have a much nicer truck.

Lafarge doesn't even own their mixers... Babcock does.

I'm all for "safety in the workplace & on public streets", but there's a fine line.

This "safety measure" may slightly cross it...

Old 04-24-2017, 07:36 AM

The policy for the company i drive for is 5k under the speed limit and stay out of the left lane as much as possible. The trucks are not governed so doing the limit is not an issue, it's more of a safety issue as it keeps us out of the main flow of traffic on the multi lane highways while not being a huge impedance. We run max weight on every run so most times we are lucky to maintain highway speeds unless the road is flat and no they are not under powered.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:50 AM

10km is not THAT slow that it causes problems. Just drive carefully. It's much less of a safety issue than heavily laden trucks flying through red lights because they can't stop quickly enough. THAT is asking for trouble. If a heavy gravel truck can't safely stop when the yellow light comes on, it is going too fast.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:00 AM

Working in the ready mix business for several years and seeing the results of a accident with a loaded ready mix truck I fully support LaFarge's policy. A live load in a ready mix truck can be a handful. I have seen mixer trucks up on one side of the trucks wheels a few times and I bet that driver wasn't thinking I wish I was going faster.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 04-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Banned

I posted about this many months ago, and a lot of members wondered what my problem is, and am I in a rush all the time? This is all part of Edmontons vision of having zero collisions. City council does not care if you spend an extra 15-30 min to get to and from work, or wherever, as long as you get there safely. Yes it's frustrating sitting in grid lock, or at a left turning light only intersection during off peak hours, but at least your sitting safely. Quit complaining and be happy that our nanny govt. is protecting us from ourselfs. It's only going to get worse (or better if thats your viewpoint).
Old 04-24-2017, 11:26 AM

You guys are missing the most important part..

Quote:
If someone speeds dangerously past a truck equipped like that, the data could be turned over to enforcement, he said. "Those are the sorts of things we would look at, yes. ... We've just started talking to the city and we'll see where it goes."
This is where it gets scary. Allowing someone else to "police" the speeders. What makes lafarge truck drivers any better than regular drivers. Nothing. I see them cutting people off, tailgating, and speeding. Who's gonna be calibrating the equipment?

Frankly I'm all for any (commercial over 10,000#) truck (not just lafarge) to be limited to 10km/hr below the speed limit. Takes alot longer to stop that much weight.

If the CEO of Lafarge truly cared about safety, he'd put GPS tracking on each truck and fine his own drivers, not be so worried about the general public. There will always be accidents, people make mistakes.. But he seems to think it's only us that makes them.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
You guys are missing the most important part..

This is where it gets scary. Allowing someone else to "police" the speeders. What makes lafarge truck drivers any better than regular drivers. Nothing. I see them cutting people off, tailgating, and speeding. Who's gonna be calibrating the equipment?

Frankly I'm all for any (commercial over 10,000#) truck (not just lafarge) to be limited to 10km/hr below the speed limit. Takes alot longer to stop that much weight.

If the CEO of Lafarge truly cared about safety, he'd put GPS tracking on each truck and fine his own drivers, not be so worried about the general public. There will always be accidents, people make mistakes.. But he seems to think it's only us that makes them.
I think all big trucks should be relegated to 40km/hr under the speed limit (except in school zones...just 25km/hr under there) and far right lane only. That should be even more saferer. If it saves just one life it will be worth it. Or maybe Lafarge doesn't care enough about life to do that?

Also, all Toyota Prius' and minivans should be limited similarly. (and anyone with a "baby on board" sign)
Old 04-24-2017, 02:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think all big trucks should be relegated to 40km/hr under the speed limit (except in school zones...just 25km/hr under there) and far right lane only. That should be even more saferer. If it saves just one life it will be worth it. Or maybe Lafarge doesn't care enough about life to do that?

Also, all Toyota Prius' and minivans should be limited similarly. (and anyone with a "baby on board" sign)
You had me at saferer. I'm on board.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Basic physics is tougherer.. But I understand, unless it's poli-science BS, you won't (pretend to) understand..
Old 04-24-2017, 03:00 PM

Basic physics shows that when flow of traffic is interrupted by slow or fast moving vehicles there will be issues.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Basic physics shows that when flow of traffic is interrupted by slow or fast moving vehicles there will be issues.
Actually, that's where you're wrong.

There wouldn't be issues if people stop trying to "police" the roads and understand how traffic is supposed to "flow". Left lane to pass, right lane cruising (at any speed). Not to mention the hundreds of other rules of the road that people prefer to ignore.

Ex. Autobahn. There's cars going 200kmhr next to semis going 100kmhr. No problem there. The difference Europeans understand the rules of the road, and respect other drivers.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:

There wouldn't be issues if people stop trying to "police" the roads and understand how traffic is supposed to "flow". Left lane to pass, right lane cruising (at any speed). Not to mention the hundreds of other rules of the road that people prefer to ignore.

Ex. Autobahn. There's cars going 200kmhr next to semis going 100kmhr. No problem there. The difference Europeans understand the rules of the road, and respect other drivers.
Your theory works fine on twinned roads. Most in Alberta are not.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:03 PM

School me. How is it that 10kph under maximum speed limit is slow ?
To me, that is 90 % of max.. not exactly slow unless compared to 40 kph over the limit.

If bad driving attitudes were improved by as little as 10% I can see that making a huge difference. Road speeds can be regulated by law .. bad attitudes can't.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller View Post
Working in the ready mix business for several years and seeing the results of a accident with a loaded ready mix truck I fully support LaFarge's policy. A live load in a ready mix truck can be a handful. I have seen mixer trucks up on one side of the trucks wheels a few times and I bet that driver wasn't thinking I wish I was going faster.
Would 10km under the posted limit fix that problem? Or would driving to the road and vehicle conditions be a wiser plan?

I'm not suggesting truck drivers go fast all the time, I'm saying any good truck driver doesn't need some clown in a safety suit telling him he has to drive his truck 10km under the speed limit in order for him to be safe because it's simply not true.

Inexperienced or stupid people cause accidents. Not giving yourself enough time to stop/react can still happen when you're driving 10km under the posted limit too.

Some people seem to think that a slow driver will prevent a collision, but that is not the case at all because even stupid people drive slow!
Old 04-24-2017, 05:39 PM

I love Albertas approach to traffic rules. Implement safe policy. Sure sounds good.

But when numerous studies conclude lane splitting/filtering to be, not only safe, but safer, the governing bodies involved toss it aside and disregard proof that it works??? I swear the people running these departments are dolts.

I couldn't care less about Lafarge going 90 in a 100 zone. Or 40 in a 50. I actually encourage it. It makes lane splitting even easier.

I have a SERIOUS concern over them recording me and sending my info in to the local police over, what they deem, a driving infraction.
Are going insane.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:51 PM

You are recorded almost every day
Lafarge is not sending your data at all , it hasn't been asked for but you can bet however that anybody with a dash cam or GoPro on their helmet would be asked for info in a big wreck , witnesses are asked for on a continual basis in the news, on the raido and on TV

As far as lane filtering and driving like A road racer goes, a person could always move to where they are more comfortable driving - with all the other "experts"
Out there .
The worst bike fatalities I have ever seen were involving guys who felt they were expert riders and all were breaking the speed limit and or filtering in traffic .
I knew every one of them , too.
Cat
Old 04-24-2017, 05:54 PM

Default Will Lafarge Lower their Load Weights too???

You know, because everything is all about safety right? I wonder if Lafarge will cut down on the loaded weight of its trucks?? Maybe they should just limit themselves to only load to 75% of each truck's weight capacity? Surely if cutting down on speed will save lives, then so will cutting down on the loaded mass of each and every one of their trucks rolling down the road.

They can also call on the public to video record all Lafarge trucks and their Employees while in action. If any of them commit any sort of safety violations, then the public can send in the evidence to the RCMP, WCB and Alberta Transportation. We all need to be extra vigilant in today's world of safety according to Lafarge. I say we hold them to it.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Your theory works fine on twinned roads. Most in Alberta are not.
It is not a theory, it is a fact. But yes, that is also why I specified everybody followed​ the rules of the road and respect other drivers. Slow moving vehicles should move over and allow people to pass (that should be a law here in albertA).

Ever catch-up to another car only to have them speed up so you can't pass?

Those are the types of things that, if everyone showed some courtesy/respect to other drivers, things would flow alot better.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:

Courtesy and respect have nothing to do with physics, the facts are there is another object on the road that is going 10 Kms slower than most traffic on the same road. Differences in speed are the biggest obstacle facing vehicles going the same direction.

Without addressing roads and laws to address vehicles going 10 kms slower in Alberta they are making things worse from a public safety stand point. IMO

Maybe La Farge should be required to have pilot trucks if they want to impeid traffic.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
You know, because everything is all about safety right? I wonder if Lafarge will cut down on the loaded weight of its trucks?? Maybe they should just limit themselves to only load to 75% of each truck's weight capacity? Surely if cutting down on speed will save lives, then so will cutting down on the loaded mass of each and every one of their trucks rolling down the road.

They can also call on the public to video record all Lafarge trucks and their Employees while in action. If any of them commit any sort of safety violations, then the public can send in the evidence to the RCMP, WCB and Alberta Transportation. We all need to be extra vigilant in today's world of safety according to Lafarge. I say we hold them to it.
Maybe they should just haul 1/4 yd loads with a huge pick-up fleet and go to beat hell. Safer for everybody.

I'm sure LaFarge have it figured out what works best for them. Maybe they get a good discount from their Insurance Company. Whatever, I'm pretty sure it wont hurt anyone and there won't be any major traffic jams or other horrific traffic events because of it... unless some other driver pulls a stupid.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
I love Albertas approach to traffic rules. Implement safe policy. Sure sounds good.

But when numerous studies conclude lane splitting/filtering to be, not only safe, but safer, the governing bodies involved toss it aside and disregard proof that it works??? I swear the people running these departments are dolts.

I couldn't care less about Lafarge going 90 in a 100 zone. Or 40 in a 50. I actually encourage it. It makes lane splitting even easier.

I have a SERIOUS concern over them recording me and sending my info in to the local police over, what they deem, a driving infraction.
i have heard this many times and ask for a link to these " studies " that claim lane splitting is safer than following the rules of the road but no one ever answers . i would be interested to read if you can produce.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Courtesy and respect have nothing to do with physics,
You're right.. But there's a reason we have these rules and guidelines in place for driving, as there will always be vehicles travelling at different speeds. The easiest way to reduce these accidents is reduce the speed of vehicles that take longer to stop/react (ie heavier vehicles).

The only physics involved is calculating stopping distance/reaction time, the rest is courtesy and respect.

You could reduce the speed of everyone, but that will just cause more of an outroar.

The next option would be limiting the weight of these vehicles, but that would just put more vehicles on the road.

What comes next? People using common sense/courtesy/respect. You'd be surprised how quickly our poor driving reputation in this province would change.

Quote:
Differences in speed are the biggest obstacle facing vehicles going the same direction.
There will ALWAYS be slower moving vehicles since those funny white signs with numbers on them are a "MAXIMUM" speed under ideal conditions, people are within their rights to drive any speed under that number. I didn't say I agree with that, as I believe police should also be pulling over cars that are impeding flow. But that is besides the point.

It has EVERYTHING to do with courtesy and respect. I see it everyday (I travel deerfoot everyday multiple times). All these "good" drivers do something stupid to encourage a dangerous situation or road rage. Why? Beats the hell out of me. But it's done by the majority of drivers.

I'm not sure why this is even a headline in the news, as cars have been getting safer and safer, with less and less injury accidents. Right now the largest problem is the human factor.

How do you fix that? Education and enforcement.

Driver's should have to take driving courses along with a written and road test prior to driver's licence renewal every 5 years. End of story. That alone would change alot.

Driving has become people's "right". It needs to get back to being a privilege.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
i have heard this many times and ask for a link to these " studies " that claim lane splitting is safer than following the rules of the road but no one ever answers . i would be interested to read if you can produce.
It's safer because the lane splitters/filters get into accidents right away as soon as it is enacted, and then there's less motorcyclists on the road.

The "theory" behind it is that motorcycles can accelerate quicker to the speed limit vs a car, therefore putting all the motorcycles in front of cars vs in traffic. Motorcycles in traffic is dangerous as they are in blind spots easily.

The problem is, in north america the motorcycles are huge, and can't filter/split properly without cutting someone off or hitting another vehicle.

Can you imagine a Harley trying to filter at a stop light?