Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-17-2017, 10:15 AM

Default Beginner trout stream

Hi everyone! First time posting here.
I just bought my first fly rod after I went fly fishing in New Zealand this winter and have not stopped thinking about it since.
I've done some trout fishing with my spinning rod in the mountains but I'm looking for a good stream to get started on with the fly rod. I'm in Edmonton so ideally it would be somewhere within 3-4 hours away from here. From what I've read Stauffer appears to be my closest option, but might be a little tricky considering my casting still needs quite a bit of work. I can get my fly to where it needs to be most of the time, however I would like somewhere with a little bit more room to cast.

Any input you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2017, 11:02 AM

I don't think you need to go 3-4 hours away to try out the rod, unless you want to. Heck, try it out on the North Sask. Lots of other rivers around.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:08 AM

beaumont trout pond would be a good place to hone your casting skills
Old 04-17-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I don't think you need to go 3-4 hours away to try out the rod, unless you want to. Heck, try it out on the North Sask. Lots of other rivers around.

Sorry I should've made it a little more clear, I'm looking for a trout stream mostly. And I love getting away to the mountains and foothills for camping trips, so I'd like to be able to spend a weekend somewhere and start figuring out some streams.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbuss View Post
beaumont trout pond would be a good place to hone your casting skills

Thanks, that would be a good place to get some fishing done after work during the week.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 AM

PM sent.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:51 AM

Give the Embarrass SW of Edson a try. Lots of grayling and small rainbows, but a really good place to learn how to read/fish flowing water. Lots of access along 47. McCloud west of there is another good spot. Neither have monster fish (that I know of) but they're pretty enough, have good camping nearby, are close to Edmonton and are good spots to learn. You're right about Stauffer (and the other brown trout streams around RMH). They're quality fisheries, but can be a bit daunting at first...
Old 04-17-2017, 12:18 PM

Anything in the Ram River system. Wit til mid summer and go out with big dries flies you'll catch fish
Old 04-17-2017, 12:31 PM

Blackstone/ ram are ur closest legit trout streams north of that is grayling, small athabows and bull trout not ur typical trout streams but great flyfishing nonthe less
Old 04-17-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.S View Post
Give the Embarrass SW of Edson a try. Lots of grayling and small rainbows, but a really good place to learn how to read/fish flowing water. Lots of access along 47. McCloud west of there is another good spot. Neither have monster fish (that I know of) but they're pretty enough, have good camping nearby, are close to Edmonton and are good spots to learn. You're right about Stauffer (and the other brown trout streams around RMH). They're quality fisheries, but can be a bit daunting at first...
Thanks for the info, those seem like good options to try out for a weekend.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:16 PM

Default streams

IMHO, you can stay away from Stauffer. It receives a fair amount of pressure, so the fish can be a tad skittish, but mostly because of the willow trees lining the bank will gobble up any unsuspecting fly-line.

I would suggest canyon fishing for a newbie as there will not be any trees to impede your casting. South Ram/Blackstone as others have said will be ideal.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:43 PM

Grayling streams helped me over the learning curb , i smoked the cutties when i finally went down to nordegg
Old 04-17-2017, 11:39 PM

Honestly, spend some time on the North Saskatchewan. Goldeye are a great dry fly fish. You'll get a lot of takes and if you can consistently hook them you'll be a master whenever you make it out to trout country.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:36 AM

I would head to either the Nordegg area and stay at either Fish Lake, Goldeye or even Crescent Falls or west of Rocky to one of the many pothole lakes or river campsites (like Strachean on Prairie Creek) and fish the many streams and rivers in the area. none of the rivers around these two sites are extremely hard to walk and wade or even access and have lots of good holding waters that will teach you how to read the various pools, riffles and runs and where and how to place you fly to get into fish. some of the rivers even have decent sized fish that as your skills improve so do your chances of landing one of them.

the other option is head north to Fox Creek/Swan Hills area and go grayling fishing. they are a pretty forgiving fish even for beginners and are willing to go after most flies floated their way. on good days 50 - 100 fish is not unheard of.

good luck
Mike
Old 04-18-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
I would head to either the Nordegg area and stay at either Fish Lake, Goldeye or even Crescent Falls or west of Rocky to one of the many pothole lakes or river campsites (like Strachean on Prairie Creek) and fish the many streams and rivers in the area. none of the rivers around these two sites are extremely hard to walk and wade or even access and have lots of good holding waters that will teach you how to read the various pools, riffles and runs and where and how to place you fly to get into fish. some of the rivers even have decent sized fish that as your skills improve so do your chances of landing one of them.

the other option is head north to Fox Creek/Swan Hills area and go grayling fishing. they are a pretty forgiving fish even for beginners and are willing to go after most flies floated their way. on good days 50 - 100 fish is not unheard of.

good luck

Mike

Thanks a lot Mike! Nordegg area is one of my favourite places to go camping so I am familiar with a few of this rivers already.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:39 PM

As others have mentioned, Grayling are a great fish to target when learning how to stream fish. 25 years ago at the start of my learning curve, I would hit the streams around Edson, Fox Creek, and Swan Hills. I would suggest picking up some backroad maps and you can get well off the beaten path and find spots that rarely ever see anglers. Grande Cache also has some wonderful streams for Bull trout but it's a little farther away for you. Barry Mitchell has a great book called "Fishing the Forestry Trunk Road". Also Jim Mclennans "Trout Streams of Alberta" are great books to also get you orientated.
Welcome to the World of Fly Fishing, where you will never stop learning, and catching a fish is just a bonus.
All the Best, Steve