Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-13-2017, 07:31 PM

Default Fly Boxes - How many do you carry?

When you go fishing, how many fly boxes do you usually carry with you while actively fishing? I keep debating with myself the best way to be efficient... I used to keep all of my flies in one box one I first started out years and years ago. One box grew to a box of dries, and a box of nymphs / streamers. Then I added a "Bow River" box of all flies I would use on the Bow. Eventually my fly vest ran out of pockets Probably a good thing considering the bulk lol.

I usually only carry 2 boxes with me now, and I usually fish from my Fishcat 4. How many boxes do you carry, and how do you like to organize your flies? I'm asking more out of curiosity than anything, sometimes people have some unique ideas!
Old 04-13-2017, 11:58 PM

I used to be in the same situation. I had a vest and carried all of my flies everywhere I went. I also was using a waist pack but was running into the same problem. I have since moved to carrying a day pack and only taking the flies that I thought I needed. I keep all of my fly gear in a tote and only take out what I'll need for the trip.
Currently I have a box of dries with things like caddis and mayflies, a box of terrestrials, a box for chironomids, a box for other lake flies like leeches, damsels etc. a double sided box for nymphs (one side for larger nymphs like stone flies and wire worms and the other side for smaller nymphs like caddis and mayflies), a box for SWJ, egg patterns and small midges (size 20 and down), two for trout streamers (one for smaller streamers like clousers and buggars and the other for bigger stuff like dungeons and circus peanuts and just take a few out into a smaller box that I take to the river), one for bull trout flies and one for pike flies.
I've currently been trying to narrow down my selection of flies that I buy and try to make it less complicated but seems every time I buy flies I stray from that because I tell myself you just might need those other flies
Old 04-14-2017, 06:17 AM

I was thinking of having a dedicated box for "todays" trip and take the time to pick out the flies I would like to use. The problem quickly arose that I don't know what will work so I thought the best thing was to at least have everything in the car and choose from shore.

Then I got a tactical messenger bag that will easily fit my half a dozen boxes and I just sling that over my back.

Recently I have tried to only fish what I have tied so it's currently only one medium box but I am sure the numbers will grow and I will be dealing with similar decisions again.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2017, 06:18 AM

Typically 3 for me. Nymphs, dries and a big streamer box.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:16 PM

I think I'm at 8 boxes but I need to break them down as well I have been trying to come up with a plan for the last three months but still haven't come up with one I'm starting to think I have multiple personalities I lay and bed and say I'm going to do this then I wake up and say no this is better then I don't do anything about it lol I feel your problems.send help please.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:32 PM
Banned

Mostly only fish still water now. 4 boxes.....chironomids, leeches/streamers, scuds and some dries.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital shok View Post
I think I'm at 8 boxes but I need to break them down as well I have been trying to come up with a plan for the last three months but still haven't come up with one I'm starting to think I have multiple personalities I lay and bed and say I'm going to do this then I wake up and say no this is better then I don't do anything about it lol I feel your problems.send help please.
With you when you fish?

I meant I carry 3 with me but I own...around...16 I think
Old 04-15-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
With you when you fish?

I meant I carry 3 with me but I own...around...16 I think
Yes when I'm fishing I guess that's why I bring my back pack all the time.lol the only box that usually doesn't come is the foam box.i have 4 tacky fly boxes and they seem to not hold a mass amount of flies especially worms I could certainly use less boxes with bigger boxes.I guess I like options which sucks cause you can basically break all your boxes down to one if you did say the top six or 8 flies that work in different sizes.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:32 AM

double sided boxes one for nymphs and one for dries.
Box for 'smaller' streamers with a couple large ones.
Small box of chironomids and scuds.

Another box of large streamers I'll throw in my backpack when on a stream with good bulltrout.

Couple boxes in my fishing Rubbermaid with spare flies.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:49 AM

when I lake fish in BC I carry a few big lake boxes, hnudreds of flies.

on mountain rivers, a couple boxes with nymphs and dries and one or two for streamers

alpine hike in lakes, one small box

bow river: 97 boxes, 14 rods, 73 lines, 638 different coloured and sized indicators, 7x tippet to 20lb mono, and several lucky hats

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-15-2017, 12:56 PM

I usually only carry two when I am walking /wading
Cat
Old 04-15-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
bow river: 97 boxes, 14 rods, 73 lines, 638 different coloured and sized indicators, 7x tippet to 20lb mono, and several lucky hats
Best, Line, Ever!