Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-30-2017, 02:15 PM

Default Beginner Bow Tips

I'm an absolute newbie, having just started this week. I've been going down to the Bow just south of the Stoney Trail bridge. I found some spots I think would be good, deep holes near some faster water. I've been trying a couple sizes of streamers and some nymphs and moving along the bank to try different spots.

Are there any things I should try out or work on? Should I pick a spot and work it all morning, or work with a certain fly? Is it worth investing in waders to get closer to some deeper water?

I've been trying to work on casting up stream and letting the fly float down stream naturally. I read that I should also be more cautious when approaching where I think fish are to not spook them.

Any other rookie tips I should work on?
Old 03-30-2017, 02:40 PM

Streamers often need to get deep, especially when the water is cold and trout are sluggish.

I find that it can be hard to get streamers down to the right depth in faster water without a lot of weight. The oval cast/Belgian cast/Constant Tension casting helped me with casting big meat like that. YouTube those.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeT View Post
Streamers often need to get deep, especially when the water is cold and trout are sluggish.

I find that it can be hard to get streamers down to the right depth in faster water without a lot of weight. The oval cast/Belgian cast/Constant Tension casting helped me with casting big meat like that. YouTube those.
Thanks! Youtube has been a huge help for me, so this is gold!
Old 03-30-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredmychal View Post
I'm an absolute newbie, having just started this week. I've been going down to the Bow just south of the Stoney Trail bridge. I found some spots I think would be good, deep holes near some faster water. I've been trying a couple sizes of streamers and some nymphs and moving along the bank to try different spots.

Are there any things I should try out or work on? Should I pick a spot and work it all morning, or work with a certain fly? Is it worth investing in waders to get closer to some deeper water?

I've been trying to work on casting up stream and letting the fly float down stream naturally. I read that I should also be more cautious when approaching where I think fish are to not spook them.

Any other rookie tips I should work on?
Hi Jared.

Here's what I would do: Go to wholesale sports and buy a medium-fast sinking leader. Tie some 1x tippet on the end of that (you are going to want to learn how to tie a loop on the end of your new leader, and a loop on your tippet so you can use your leader forever). Buy a big black bead head wooly bugger, and cast cast cast.

Throw it out at 10 o'clock and slowly strip it in. Work your way down stream a little bit each cast.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
Hi Jared.

Here's what I would do: Go to wholesale sports and buy a medium-fast sinking leader. Tie some 1x tippet on the end of that (you are going to want to learn how to tie a loop on the end of your new leader, and a loop on your tippet so you can use your leader forever). Buy a big black bead head wooly bugger, and cast cast cast.

Throw it out at 10 o'clock and slowly strip it in. Work your way down stream a little bit each cast.
The loop idea is genius! I am so disappointed I never thought of that to save my leader, thank you!

I have a couple wooly buggers, I will get some sinking leader. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredmychal View Post
The loop idea is genius! I am so disappointed I never thought of that to save my leader, thank you!

I have a couple wooly buggers, I will get some sinking leader. Thanks!
Sinking leader is key. Like Roscoe says you gotta get down to them.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:23 PM

msg me

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk