Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-11-2012, 12:55 PM

lets get some pics going of the guys work. There are some people saying on here that it is horrible. I would like to respectfully disagree.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 PM

I took a mule deer to him approx 5 years ago. 4 years later I get the deer back and it is horrible. After getting some other opinions on the work, I took it to another well respected taxidermist. He looked at it and in 2 min told me that it is not a new mount. He took an old mount and put my antlers on it. So I paid Clarence 575 dollars to do mount and now I am going to pay a couple of hundred more to see if it can updated and cleaned up. I am sorry but he may be a nice guy but as far as I am concerned he is dishonest and a crook. I still believe he either screwed up the cape and either could not find one or did not care to find one as from pics I am sure cape is different than original. Absolutly no sympathy for this guy.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:27 PM

lets see some pics boys and girls.......
Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
lets see some pics boys and girls.......
I kinda of remember Speckle 55 posting some pictures he has that clarance did for him I think it was him.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 AM

I had two antelope done by Clarence and got them back very quickly ( less than a year ) they seemed like good jobs but aren't standing up well at all , especially around the ears.

I took him a big mulie and got it back quickly as well ( less than a year again ) but I am not real happy with the job.

Clarence certainly seemed like a decent enough guy but disorganized as all get out.

It's too bad Marcel Houle wasn't still working, he did my whitetail and IMO he was the best in his day.

I will choose someone else next time I need something done.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:55 PM

Got a big ram done by him and it looks great and no problems after about 15 years. Got another book ram that looks horrible by him after 20 years. Got a whitetail done about 15 years ago that looks good holding up wise. It was bad taxidermy and the eye shape is horrible with big round eyes. I also have one other done by him and it is falling apart and looks real bad. Also had 2 cougars in his shop along with my dads whitetail and an antelope and never seen them after 10+ years. I think he can do good work when he wants to but I stopped going there a long time ago. Been taking my stuff to Alex at ADVANTAGE TAXIDERMY the past few years and have not had a problem.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:40 PM

If the class of previous employee's is any indication,it is no wonder things like this happens.had a guy do my first bear,took my money and bear ,gone but not forgotten.if i ever get the chance it will be gordon from northwest ,he did 9 deer and i antelope in the past.(side note,he trained brian) nuff said
Old 05-14-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Clarence has gotten a fair bit of business from me in the past(deer and birds). Never had an issue and workmanship was outstanding. That changed with the last mount I took there around 6 years ago. I hounded him weekly for 18 months, this after he had it in his possesion for over a year. He didn't even brush out the pelt before giving it to me. Hair was full of salts. I haven't been back since, it's a shame, he is very talented.
I agree. I've had mounts done by him since about 1997. Quality & turnaround were always good but in the last 5 years or so not so much. I took a nice antelope to him about 3 years ago and wasn't happy with quality or the time it took to get done. I won't be back again unfortunately, nice guy though.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 PM

Big time agree ^^^^^^^ just had a buddy deal with him after i seen the op, had to let him know to go get his goods back before the taxi doors close up tight.

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything. (Mark twain)

if you don't have the time to do it right now,
how you gonna find time to do it right later !!!!!
(truck window)
Old 05-15-2012, 02:43 AM
Banned

personaly i have been very happy with the work he has done for me. the rainbow ( 15 yrs ago) still looks brand new and the black bear (10 yrs ago) still holding up well except for an ear the grandkids damaged. i really think he has become overwhelmed in the last few years and doesn't have the help he needs. it's too bad because he really is an artist imho.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:56 PM

Unreal.....tried phoning him for a couple days now about my cinnamon bear that he has had for 4 years now, sounds like im not getting it back......I can't believe i let it go for 4 years, this sucks.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 PM

Call F&W you are not the only guy looking for stuff. I believe they are taking info. My buddy phoned and talked to them about his bear that is apparently missing in action.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:58 PM

This guy is a absalute joke, like someone else said he has alot of talent and did incredible work many years ago. I had a friend who took 2 mulies there 5 years ago they were there for years and years and when he finally got them back i have seen road kill in the ditch that looked better than they did, It was realy sad!! he has did a few of my mounts, never again my last mulie i got back was unreal. I had to take it to another taxidermist to get it to look like a deer again. His shop should be closed down period and i hope the guy wins!!!!
Old 05-19-2012, 08:21 AM

So just a question, i give every animal i shoot the utmost respect which includes which taxidermist does the work, so why would you leave a animal at a shop 3-5 yrs and some knowing that your buddies animal has been there that long keep using this person ? i really dont feel sorry for anyone that has been caused greif by this guy...i guess you get what you pay for.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
So just a question, i give every animal i shoot the utmost respect which includes which taxidermist does the work, so why would you leave a animal at a shop 3-5 yrs and some knowing that your buddies animal has been there that long keep using this person ? i really dont feel sorry for anyone that has been caused greif by this guy...i guess you get what you pay for.
Because your obviously the smartest person in the world. Nobody said he was the cheapest either.

Seriously dont you have some orphanes somewhere to make fun of because they have no parents or a home less guy you want to kick because he has no place to live.

Last edited by diamond k; 05-19-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Because your obviously the smartest person in the world. Nobody said he was the cheapest either.

Seriously dont you have some orphanes somewhere to make fun of because they have no parents or a home less guy you want to kick because he has no place to live.
you never answered the question did you ? so how about trying that ! never claimed to be the smartest either,orphans dont bother me so why make fun,homeless guy is homeless because of the choices they have made so...why kick them.unless your homeless and then maybe !
Old 05-20-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
You know what, I have friends previous to me taking there animals there and receiving them back with in 6 months, I have also had a previous bear rug done by him. So, sorry I disrespected my bear by taking him to a taxidermy that I apparently should have known was going to be ruined. Sometimes taxidermists get backed up, he told me he was having trouble getting good help around the shop. I kept in contact with him also, he kept back peddling on it, saying its almost done almost done, should have done something about it then, coulda woulda shoulda.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:21 AM

He did my Rainbow back in 1982 and it looks just like when i caught it from Honeymoon Lake Jasper National park in Oct 1982 it was 7#3 and as you see in the picture i broke both fins putting it on display.. he was professional, and prompt but that was 30 years ago..

i will wait till we hear the court case . as i have seen some animals that have been brought into local Taxidermy shops and they are allways looking for capes etc as they are ruined when coming in..i have had capes bought right at the check-in in Camp Wainwright..

!cid_4B493E619DD54AE8B2BF9F8093A75AB2@mine.jpg

Food for Thought
David
Old 05-20-2012, 01:12 PM

Default I hate to hear this

This is very sad news for me as Clarence was my mentor 30 some years ago. He has always been a well liked person and he was like a big brother to me. He taught me how to hunt bears and always said the utmost respect you can give a trophy was to make it lifesize. Advice I took to heart and instrumental in my winning 5 gold medals at the World Taxidermy Championships. He is one of the most gifted "all round" taxidermists I know who always made time to share techniques with someone eager to learn. Let me be honest when I tell you that burnout can be a huge problem for a lot of taxidermists. I have worked at this profession all over the world and its common when a taxidermist cant maintain a stressful workload. And believe me when I tell you no one is immune. Overall there is no excuse for ruining a persons trophies but I know in my heart Clarence would never do this intentionally. Like I said, a sad day for me.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
This is very sad news for me as Clarence was my mentor 30 some years ago. He has always been a well liked person and he was like a big brother to me. He taught me how to hunt bears and always said the utmost respect you can give a trophy was to make it lifesize. Advice I took to heart and instrumental in my winning 5 gold medals at the World Taxidermy Championships. He is one of the most gifted "all round" taxidermists I know who always made time to share techniques with someone eager to learn. Let me be honest when I tell you that burnout can be a huge problem for a lot of taxidermists. I have worked at this profession all over the world and its common when a taxidermist cant maintain a stressful workload. And believe me when I tell you no one is immune. Overall there is no excuse for ruining a persons trophies but I know in my heart Clarence would never do this intentionally. Like I said, a sad day for me.
Well said Ken.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I took a mule deer to him approx 5 years ago. 4 years later I get the deer back and it is horrible. After getting some other opinions on the work, I took it to another well respected taxidermist. He looked at it and in 2 min told me that it is not a new mount. He took an old mount and put my antlers on it. So I paid Clarence 575 dollars to do mount and now I am going to pay a couple of hundred more to see if it can updated and cleaned up. I am sorry but he may be a nice guy but as far as I am concerned he is dishonest and a crook. I still believe he either screwed up the cape and either could not find one or did not care to find one as from pics I am sure cape is different than original. Absolutly no sympathy for this guy.
????
Old 05-20-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Call F&W you are not the only guy looking for stuff. I believe they are taking info. My buddy phoned and talked to them about his bear that is apparently missing in action.
?????
Old 05-20-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
?????
He has had a buffalo head of mine for 4 1/2 Years. Numerous calls no answer or some bs line about the tannery being backed up. Now he claims he doesn't even know where it is at he has no record of me bringing anything in to his shop. I still have the 1000 dollar deposit reciept. Which I doubt I will get back either. Hopefully this lawsuit grows and puts Clarence out business and then some . the guy is a black eye on the industry.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 PM

it sounds like 65-70% of the post are hate posts towards clarence...i would have a little hate on if i had to wait 1-4 years for my white tail to come home...
my first experience with clarence was a 12 inch antelope rack mounted on a plack with a cape over the skull...easy enough to do...i was happy with the results & he charged me a cheap rate....
that winter i took a couple of 12 & 13 inch perch to him with in 6-7 months i had them back & a perfect job....well done clarence....i also brought a nice set of jaws from a bull shark to him for bleaching and i was happy with the job once again...my last experience with clarence was him helping me out with a broken moose rack...in which he did not charge & was very helpful...
guys who bash claence i hear what your saying,& i would be choked too...
but i have no bad words for clarence...a good guy,a little disorganized,but still good work & a good guy....
Old 05-22-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejay7320 View Post
it sounds like 65-70% of the post are hate posts towards clarence...i would have a little hate on if i had to wait 1-4 years for my white tail to come home...
my first experience with clarence was a 12 inch antelope rack mounted on a plack with a cape over the skull...easy enough to do...i was happy with the results & he charged me a cheap rate....
that winter i took a couple of 12 & 13 inch perch to him with in 6-7 months i had them back & a perfect job....well done clarence....i also brought a nice set of jaws from a bull shark to him for bleaching and i was happy with the job once again...my last experience with clarence was him helping me out with a broken moose rack...in which he did not charge & was very helpful...
guys who bash claence i hear what your saying,& i would be choked too...
but i have no bad words for clarence...a good guy,a little disorganized,but still good work & a good guy....
There is no dought he is a GREAT guy, A litlle disorrganized is one thing but his work over the last few years that i have seen is brutal actually down right terrible and the waiting time is out of this world, My buddy took a elk to him 6 years ago and still nothing, wont return phone calls or nothing. Either he takes on too much work or he just has no interest in it no more, Like may other have said and i will say the same that he is a great guy personally and USED to do great work but not no more, Sorry Clarence i hope you pay the price for what has happened.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 AM

yikes. Sounds like this guy is up the creek right now.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:36 PM

Default Kriaski

Does not supprise me. I had some poor work done by these guys previously. My whitetail cape came back to me with a rust stain on the neck. It would never go away and their solution was to paint it white. Far from good, good from a far.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:

While I wasn't going to pose the question in the same manner I was wondering why he continued to get, what seems to be alot of work with so many unhappy clients.

I won't kick guys while they are down but I thought it was a fair question. I guess he had built up so much street cred that he could get away with almost anything.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle30 View Post
While I wasn't going to pose the question in the same manner I was wondering why he continued to get, what seems to be alot of work with so many unhappy clients.

I won't kick guys while they are down but I thought it was a fair question. I guess he had built up so much street cred that he could get away with almost anything.
whats your point ?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
whats your point ?
Point is I thought you raised a fair point. How was this guy getting so much work?