Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 PM

Default Range findinding binoculars

Ranging bino's is something I have been considering. How well do they work? What is the max range on a soft target? What kind of money would a guy need to spend?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:40 PM

Im thinking the new Vortex around $2,000.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:41 PM

I bought some Leica 10x42 rangefinder bino's a couple years ago... I can't remember exactly what I paid for them, but I think it was around $2200. I'm quite certain you can get them cheaper now that a few other manufacturers have them.
I'm a guide, so when I have a client beside me looking through hIs rifle scope, or at full draw on a mule deer, the extra 2 seconds it would take to lower a pair of normal bino's and raise a separate rangefinder, then get a range on the animal could make the difference between a dead deer or a missed opportunity.
Having said that, I don't think I would go back to normal bino's and separate rangefinder - unless I was treestand hunting or something like that.
Mine are good off a reflective surface out to 1000-1200 yards. The farthest I can recall getting a range was an elk at about 900
Look around for used ones from a good manufacturer. A lot of them now come with the unlimited lifetime warranty, so you can get one for cheaper, but also have it fully backed by the manufacturer.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:57 PM
Banned

I have had a pair of Zeiss rangefinding binos for a few years now. Got a really good deal. So far the only drawback is that they are heavy. On a reflective surface I have ranged over 1600 yards. Coniferous trees seem to offer a good reflection and I have gotten close to 1300 yards. As far as an animal I don't remember. Far enough that you likely would not be in shooting range.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:58 PM

I have the Leica Geovid HDs in 10x42. Elk and moose can be ranged at over 900 yards, and deer to around 700 yards. I paid around $2400 for mine several years ago when they were new on the market. I find them a real time saver, as I range the animal as soon as I see it in the binoculars, so I don't need to go through another step of putting down the binoculars and picking up a rangefinder to do the ranging.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 AM

Bushnell Fusion. $1100 at Cabelas. For the price point I'm happy that I bought these and didn't shell out another 1000 or more for Geovids. Haven't ranged anything real far on soft targets but have ranged over a mile on reflective targets. As well with any range finder, holding steading on an elk at 600 yards and being able to keep the range finder crosshairs on that target while pressing the button is difficult. I'd rather range on something that is next to the elk than the elk itself. I no nothing about the Vortex brand, the Geovids are excellent, spend your money on them if you must have them.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM

I got Bushnell fusions 5-6 years ago. I'm very happy with them. Did a side by side comparison with gevoids. The Bushnell glass doesn't compare but the range finder was much better. The gevouds couldn't range the 800m 24" targe consistantly, the Bushnell picked it up.
I constantly get a rang of 1845 on a spruce tree I can see from my front deck. Power polls about 900, cattle 1200, deer 7-900y.
In summary if you want great glass. Spend the money. If you want a useable glass and a great range finder save your money and get a Bushnell. This is my experience, yours may vary.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:19 AM

I don't know what your timeline is, but I know Leupold is releasing a range finding bino again at some point in the near future.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madball View Post

I don't know what your timeline is, but I know Leupold is releasing a range finding bino at some point in the near future.
So is Vortex (Fury), and Nikon (LaserForce)...

Old 04-20-2017, 12:03 PM

Default Buy once cry once

Glass and range finder are the best. Leica Geovids here
Old 04-20-2017, 01:20 PM

I got a smoking deal on a set of Geovids back before the HD models were released. For spot and stalk I prefer just a compact rangefinder tethered to my bow arm.

LC
Old 04-20-2017, 07:18 PM

The vortex fury will be on sale in July with an approx price of $1500... I've been fortunate to play with them a bit and can tell you that they are slick to use and have great optical quality. I believe that their range on soft target is 1100 yards (waaaay further than I intend on shooting) if I didnt already have a rangefinder and binos, this is where my $ would be going!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 07:38 PM

Iv used both the geo vids and the bushnell, the leica has far better glass and will give you about 15 mins of glassing after the bushnell runs out of light. The bushnell has a far better ranging system however, they will consistently range to 1800 yards. Iv ranged animals well over 1000 with them. The swarovskis are also a lovely peice of kit with impecable glass and a top notch ranger. Have yet to get my hands on the vortex but im sure they will be a fine peice of kit. Obviously the cheaper option is the bushnells, if its outright ranging ability one is after then there hard to go past. The leicas are my choice purely on the fact they have great glass that allows me to glass the hills until almost pitch black. They still range well further than im usually willing to shoot.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:08 PM
Banned

I handled a pair of Swarovski EL's today at Cabelas... Oh my...

To bad my $4000 is getting spent elsewhere. They are super nice though...

I would spend the $1500-$2000 on the Vortex or Nikons though, if either was available in Canada right now.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:04 PM

lieca HDB 10/42 with chip for cal balistics is awesome,each cal gets a chip and can be set in MOA or " or hold over no comparison IMO