Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-22-2017, 08:43 PM

Default Backpack hunting gear

Wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for a light weight sleeping bag.

I am considering running a bag that is rated for warmer temps and then adding a liner for cooler hunts.

Does anyone have experience with liners? iE do they really boost the ratings as much as they advertise?

I'm well aware how important a good bag is on a sheep hunt, but also have a budget. Can a person get away with a high quality light weight bag with a liner, or do you bite the bullet and just buy two good bags.

Any experience would be helpful
Old 04-22-2017, 08:51 PM

Look up "outdoor vitals" sleeping bags

They have great reviews, high quality down sleeping bags, and are inexpensive compared to the better known brands... I recently bought two from them - mine is an XL size, rated for 0 degrees Fahrenheit, is super lightweight, and cost about $200. I also got one for my son that's regular size, even lighter in weight, rated for 10 degrees, and was about $140.

They're available on amazon, as well as direct from them.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:52 PM

I've tried liners and don't like them. I also don't believe that they give the warmth value that they claim. My bag is mountain hardware rated for -9 C. I forget what I paid for it but it wasn't overly expensive ( or I would have remembered the price ). On later season hunts I just wear the clothes I need to stay warm to bed.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:34 PM

For light weight, I love Snugpak.

I started with a Softie 3 Merlin, but upgraded to the SF system as it gave me the flexibility of have either 2 varying weight summer and fall bags or the combined rig for winter.

I have an unused Softie 3 Merlin that could be for sale.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:34 PM

I've used a bag liner before and it certainly did add some warmth. I'm not sure it added as much as they claim though, although I could be wrong. I won't be using a liner again - I got too tangled. I've also used a +5C bag and brought one of those 1 lb Down Throws they sell at Costco for about $25. I folded it over myself inside the sleeping bag, and was roasting hot in -2C for a few nights in a row last year and that was sleeping on a 3.4 R value pad. I would certainly recommend taking one of those over a liner if you're looking to add more warmth. This year I picked up an Enlightened Equipment -6C (20 oz.) quilt to try. I'm heading out the next couple weekends to the mountains so I'll be hopefully able to get an initial impression of how accurate the rating are for my body.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:54 PM

I use an overbag instead of a liner. If you have a down bag, a synthetic overbag (mine is the MEC Penguin) it brings the condensation point further away from you, keeping the down dry.

But like mad mountain mike, usually I just wear the clothes I need to add warmth, usually my set of dry backup fleece thermals.

You can also make sure to eat just before bed, somethin fatty like nuts or chocolate to burn all night. I spent a night without a sleeping bag in the alpine once by waking up a couple times to eat whenever I was cold.

I also have made a hot water bottle out with a Nalgene in a pair of socks. Works great. It also makes sure you have some water in the morning that is not frozen!

I also stuff my legs in my backpack on really cold nights, or use a jacket slipped over my legs (zipped up with the arms pulled inside).

And if it is seriously cold I have even used a candle lantern in my tent. l

Sorry for the derail. Long story short, even if you are poor or o a budget you can still be warm. But if I was choosing again, I would still pick an overbag instead of a liner. Its a good system and allows flexibility, and uses the same layering principles as your hiking clothes.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:19 AM
Banned

Default silk liner

I really like a silk liner with a hood. I think it adds some warmth. It is a good idea to use some kind of liner to keep the bag clean.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:35 AM

I use snugpac. All year in the fall and winter I'll layer my sleeping bag with a fleece linter followed by a ranger blanket liner then my snugpac sleeping bag if it's cold enough I'll have another sleeping bag and followed that by a gortex outer-shell. It is a terrible idea to sleepin your clothes I only did for one night and never again. I have had multiple tenting and snow shelter experiences in below -20 degrees from years in the military. If you sleep in your clothes you'll be colder in the am then if you don't yea it's fun getting dressed when it's freezing out but your clothing will hold its r value a lot better if you don't sleep in them. And of course use a good air mattress or foamy for underneath you it does help a lot.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:50 AM

I like a silk liner as well. I usually sleep in my clothes which can get dirty (or bloody) on a hunt. The silk liner with a hood adds warmth and keeps my bag clean. Its way easier to clean a liner than a down bag.

To other points if you have enough fuel to put hot water in a nalgene every night it will temporarily help although in my experience over the course of a trip thats a lot of extra fuel and outweighs the benefit of a better more expensive (heavier) bag.

I always have a down jacket for safety in my pack no matter what the season. Sleeping in that makes a noticeable difference.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, this is an interesting topic to me, what are the other "don't leave home without it" items on your gear lists for backpacking hunts?

I have more hunting gear than any person needs, but the whole light weight carry everything on your back style of hunting is newer to me.

My thought is I would like to build my kit out to not exceed about 50 lbs all in, and a surprising portion of that seems to be optics when I start scaling my gear. Between a spotter, binos and tripod things add up quick.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:33 AM

Has anyone tried Wilderness Excursions out of Calgary? They have some really good prices sleeping bags.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:03 AM

Holy! Your not kidding about the prices. The fill weight etc seems about right, they look decent but seems like maybe too good to be true? Would love to hear if anyone has tried this stuff out.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:48 PM

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Would be nice to hear from someone who has tried a bag out from them. Although at 250 for a -27C bag might be worth trying anyways
Old 04-23-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
I've tried liners and don't like them. I also don't believe that they give the warmth value that they claim. My bag is mountain hardware rated for -9 C. I forget what I paid for it but it wasn't overly expensive ( or I would have remembered the price ). On later season hunts I just wear the clothes I need to stay warm to bed.
I love my Mountain hardware - 9 down bag. Caught mine on sale, $160. Hard to beat. And yes, the right kind of clothes instead of a liner for me..

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
I have this bag as well and I definitely recommend it - the ratio 15: http://www.campers-village.com/14655...-Sleeping-Bag/

Packs up small and fairly warm for the weight. I also bought a liner for mine from Campers village. You may not get all the added warmth they say but the versatility is nice without having to buy another bag.
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 04-26-2017, 03:06 PM

I have a kuiu bag. Not sure the temp rating off hand, but it's the mid rated one.
I've used it to late October with no problems, and just sleep in long underwear, but I'm a warm sleeper. A well designed neck collar and hood on a sleeping bag can make it much warmer.
For the temp rating of the mid temp kuiu bag, it's pretty much the lightest on the market. Not cheap though.
I wouldn't buy a bag that's not water proof down. Maybe synthetic but it's gernrally heavier and doesnt pack down as small

In cold temps I wear a toque and ski goggles. The goggles trap the warm air against your face and work really well when using a bivy sack when it starts to dip below zero. Would help in a tent I'm sure too
Old 04-26-2017, 03:58 PM

my go to sleeping bags for Back country high alpine camping with the wife and I, is my 2 military surplus sleeping bags. It has a cotton liner and a fleece liner as well ( the fleece is a homemade liner). I usually carry the bivy bag, and the compression sack it comes with along with my ranger blanket. I carry it all on my military surplus 64 pattern ruck sack. I use a military surplus half shelter as a tent as well.

I am ex military and I go with what works well for me