Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-03-2017, 12:39 PM

Default Neoprene vs breathable? (float tube)

So, just how much warmer are neoprene waders vs your average breathable these days? I found that I was getting into some trouble last year, especially late in the season on my float tube using my regular waders (Orvis Encounters), even with a decent merino base layer and fleece. Leg cramps might be largely due to being middle-aged and out of shape, but the cold water can't be helping. Any updated thoughts on this, as well as on 3mm vs 5mm neoprene?

Some discussion online (including a couple of threads here) from a few years back. I love how the American sites often reference fishing in Alaska as the tipping point to neoprene. I'd love to see some of these folks on Duck Lake in April in a tube
Old 04-03-2017, 02:07 PM

I wanted to replace some old Bare neoprene waders recently, and I found out that bare no longer makes them. It's actually hard to find any higher end waders from my experience, it seems that their popularity has diminished lately. Most guys seem to buy decent breathable waders, and layer up. For me it's always been my feet that cause me trouble.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:54 PM

Always used 5mm neoprene is the past, but now using breathables with lightweight poly under fleece pants. A pair of thin socks under some mid-weight socks. I do make sure I keep my upper body warm and wear a good toque and a wind breaker.
Once I go out on the water I rarely come off in less than 6 hours. Sometimes have to pull anchor and go for a swim to get the blood going.
Coldest day was fishing beside the ice in March on Duck. Pain would come and go in the feet...but couldn't leave the fish
Old 04-03-2017, 06:12 PM

Post Neoprene

If you have to have them I have a brand new pair of Guide weight(knee pads etc...) SpringBrook ones next to new in size Large yours for 100.00 cash. Hard to beat for warmth last time I wore them was at Duck when it was only partially free of ice and they kept me warm but also reminding me of how uncomfortable they are compared to breathables. If not they will be kept for hunting.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:25 PM

I've had neos and quality breathables, I would take the neos 9 times out of 10 for float tubing (which is what I did for years, even while there is still ice on the lake)

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-04-2017, 08:44 AM

I fish in very thin waders from ice-off to ice-on. I vary the weight of my fleece pants from 1/2" thick to very thin depending on water tempature.
I have never used wading boots as they are too constricting and will not allow adequate insulation. I wear 3>4 pair of socks, street, fleece, natural wool plus more natural wool. My socks I get made locally and are calf length.
I spend upwards of 8 hours on water w/o getting cold. The biggest change - dump the wading boots. To protect my waders I use slip on rubber shoes to get to the pond.

Regards,

Don
Old 04-04-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
If you have to have them I have a brand new pair of Guide weight(knee pads etc...) SpringBrook ones next to new in size Large yours for 100.00 cash. Hard to beat for warmth last time I wore them was at Duck when it was only partially free of ice and they kept me warm but also reminding me of how uncomfortable they are compared to breathables. If not they will be kept for hunting.
I think you need to work on your sales pitch... it started strong, but then got a little hazy toward the end Thanks for the offer. I'll pm you if I'm interested.

And thanks to everyone for their nickel's worth. Don, I seem to recall you mentioning the multi sock thing before, but don't think I put it together that you aren't wearing wading boots. Not sure how my cheapo fins would do without the boot, but am willing to give it a try. I've never really had super cold feet, even with just my wading boots and a couple pairs of socks. I wonder how warm otter fur socks would be?
Old 04-04-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
I think you need to work on your sales pitch... it started strong, but then got a little hazy toward the end Thanks for the offer. I'll pm you if I'm interested.

And thanks to everyone for their nickel's worth. Don, I seem to recall you mentioning the multi sock thing before, but don't think I put it together that you aren't wearing wading boots. Not sure how my cheapo fins would do without the boot, but am willing to give it a try. I've never really had super cold feet, even with just my wading boots and a couple pairs of socks. I wonder how warm otter fur socks would be?
Jg,

You will be pleasantly surprised how warm you will be after turfing the wading boots. Browning fins were great. They had a plastic insert when removed allowed boots or inserted for stocking foots only. Not sure if other fins share this neat idea. I use divers fins that I bought in 1972 for my first tube. They are a tad weather checked but still going strong.
Not sure if otter socks are made anymore.

Don
Old 04-05-2017, 04:44 PM

Thumbs up Sales pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post

Scary thing is I am in sales..... and they are warm .... I actually have wading boots that are a size bigger just for winter fishing.... just like no boots the extra room and circulation is the key!!!
Old 04-05-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
I've had neos and quality breathables, I would take the neos 9 times out of 10 for float tubing (which is what I did for years, even while there is still ice on the lake)
^^this^^
Old 04-07-2017, 12:15 PM

Just a heads up. As of today, no boats or felt boots on the Blackfeet Rez lakes