Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-24-2017, 08:23 AM

Default Chronographs

In market for one.. see a few models around edmonton.

Shooting F-1. $149
Caldwell Ballistic Chronograph $149
Caldwell Ballistic Premium kit $249

Anyone use any of these? Are they reliable? Recommend one over the other?

Think I saw one that looks like a bullet at P&D as well.

Only need it so I can get speed of bullets so I can send info to get my custom CDS dials. I don't mind just owning one just to have . Lol

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 04-24-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:31 AM

I have owned most makes, except the new Magnetospeed. I have tested readings between the very expensive Oehler, Pact and Ballistics research to Chrony etc. Chrony are nearly as accurate as the really expensive stuff.

For regualr use by the everyday shooter, Chrony gets my vote. I now use the Beta Master, it puts the read out on the table with you where it is much easier to see and won't get shot. Chrony has the best return/fix policy on shot chronos of any one. Laugh if you like but use it enough and you are someone with you will eventually shoot one.

Iff you only need it to speed test one cartridge we could probably work it out os you can use mine.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:44 AM

I have owned two Chrony units, and they can be quite accurate, but they are sensitive to lighting conditions. I have seen the velocity suddenly swing 100fps when the lighting changed. I now use a Manetospeed, which is not at all light sensitive, and as such, I find it much more reliable.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 AM

The magnetospeed is the one that straps onto your barrel correct? I'm assuming that's a pricey unit . Starting to think chronographs fall into the category of you get what you pay for.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
The magnetospeed is the one that straps onto your barrel correct? I'm assuming that's a pricey unit . Starting to think chronographs fall into the category of you get what you pay for.
Yes the Magnetospeed straps to the barrel. There is actually a Sporter model available now, that is more affordable than the original models.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:07 AM

Magneto Speed is out if you want to chrony bows or xbows.

LC
Old 04-24-2017, 09:21 AM

I have both the magnetospeed and chrony. The magnetospeed is much simpler to set up but you cant shoot groups with them on. I find the magnetospeed more reliable as its not sensitive to light. However my chrony is within 30fps of the magnetospeed.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I have both the magnetospeed and chrony. The magnetospeed is much simpler to set up but you cant shoot groups with them on. I find the magnetospeed more reliable as its not sensitive to light. However my chrony is within 30fps of the magnetospeed.
Why can't your shoot groups with the magnetospeed?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Why can't your shoot groups with the magnetospeed?
Strapped to the barrel it buggers up the harmonics.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:13 AM

It's not impossible to shoot groups with the Magnetospeed but there are two things to note before trying. One, your POI will change. Two, and probably the most important, is that the bayonette unit has a tendency to change position due to recoil and barrel taper. This will affect any group in a big way.

I use tape wrapped around the barrel just ahead of the barrel strap on the Magnetospeed bayonette to prevent forward movement. A check of bayonette position is required after each shot, even when just checking velocities.

Always good to remember that the Magnetospeed is a first and foremost a Chronograph and was not designed to be used in conjunction with shooting for groups, but it can work to an acceptable degree for initial load development.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
snip
For regualr use by the everyday shooter, Chrony gets my vote. I now use the Beta Master, it puts the read out on the table with you where it is much easier to see
snip
I Chrony and log all shots during load development, (and also whenever convenient & possible.)
Like any measuring tool, they become more valuable as I better learn how to make use of the data.

I have successfully used a Chrony F1 for many years, (without shooting it, YET).
Low angle lighting can be problematic, but lighting can be controlled,
(solid overcast cloud is best, I would also like to try mounting under a translucent tube).
Concussion from an adjacent bench can cause readout to reset, try to shoot last or read quickly.
(I suspect this would be less of a problem with the Beta models that retain previous shots in memory.)

I have recently purchased an F1 Master with the remote readout for easier reading with old eyes.
I would gladly trade my F1 + cash for an F1 Master.
Chrony does offer an upgrade trade-in program but the cost including freight is uneconomic.

I have recently upgraded my tripod system to a much more solid dual tripod system with two Chronys mounted in tandem,
(poor mans Ohler, / make do with what I have).
I hope it will reduce my measured ES and provide confirmation of accuracy, (and be able to use prone).

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
It's not impossible to shoot groups with the Magnetospeed but there are two things to note before trying. One, your POI will change. Two, and probably the most important, is that the bayonette unit has a tendency to change position due to recoil and barrel taper. This will affect any group in a big way.

I use tape wrapped around the barrel just ahead of the barrel strap on the Magnetospeed bayonette to prevent forward movement. A check of bayonette position is required after each shot, even when just checking velocities.

Always good to remember that the Magnetospeed is a first and foremost a Chronograph and was not designed to be used in conjunction with shooting for groups, but it can work to an acceptable degree for initial load development.
I have yet to see any "movement" on mine. I have all the barrel pad adapters too. I've shot small rimfire, .22WMR, all the way up to .338LM. Never had one move on me. Also, with the proper barrel pads, you can use it with any barrel contour with and without brakes.

As far as shooting groups with it on, why would you want to do that? I load test until I find my best load, and then chrony the load for the ballistic software. I never have it on while developing a load. So the poi change is really a moot point.

I've owned the Labradar unit too. I decided to sell it mostly because of the cost. I bought another rifle with the funds from that unit. The Labradar and the Magnetospeed were within 1% deviation. So the Magnetospeed was the obvious choice for me. Also, it is very easy and quick to set-up and use. Lighting conditions do not affect the Magnetospeed as well.

Last edited by 6MT; 04-24-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I have yet to see any "movement" on mine. I have all the barrel pad adapters too. I've shot small rimfire, .22WMR, all the way up to .338LM. Never had one move on me.
I haven't had issues with mine moving either.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:46 PM

Just purchased the F1 Chrony at Cabella's on Saturday, $119.00. About 3 wks, I put a bullet in the brain of my Beta Chrony, It was 10 years old, but it did not need to be put down. Any ways I did not use any of the advanced feature of the Beta. I Always used the pencil and paper accessory.
I did have an RCBS Chronograph But it was so confusing in it's instructions, and I would lose velocities I wanted.
So I purchased the F1.
I do use my Chrony when shooting groups, So a device that clamps onto the barrel is useless, and 1/2% accuracy is fine for my needs.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
I have yet to see any "movement" on mine. I have all the barrel pad adapters too. I've shot small rimfire, .22WMR, all the way up to .338LM. Never had one move on me. Also, with the proper barrel pads, you can use it with any barrel contour with and without brakes.

As far as shooting groups with it on, why would you want to do that? I load test until I find my best load, and then chrony the load for the ballistic software. I never have it on while developing a load. So the poi change is really a moot point.

I've owned the Labradar unit too. I decided to sell it mostly because of the cost. I bought another rifle with the funds from that unit. The Labradar and the Magnetospeed were within 1% deviation. So the Magnetospeed was the obvious choice for me. Also, it is very easy and quick to set-up and use. Lighting conditions do not affect the Magnetospeed as well.
All good , however your experiences with Bayonette movement are obviously different than mine. I have close to 800 rounds through my Magnetospeed with calibers from .20 to .366 and found it is good practice to
check the bayonette position often. They are great units but the nylon web strap and tightening mechanism leave a bit to be desired on smooth tapered barrels and heavier recoiling rifles . A bit of sandpaper work on the smooth rubber barrel pad seems to help a bit as well.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:37 PM

Got this on Amazon.. Like it a bunch, so far. Dead simple to use. Made in the USA.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
All good , however your experiences with Bayonette movement are obviously different than mine. I have close to 800 rounds through my Magnetospeed with calibers from .20 to .366 and found it is good practice to
check the bayonette position often. They are great units but the nylon web strap and tightening mechanism leave a bit to be desired on smooth tapered barrels and heavier recoiling rifles . A bit of sandpaper work on the smooth rubber barrel pad seems to help a bit as well.
I just did a bit of research regarding the MS barrel mounting system. They now offer optional tapered barrel pads for use with tapered barrels.
No doubt these will correct the bayonett movement situation that was apparently non-existant.

"Should the need to mount the bayonet on a tapered barrel arise, MagnetoSpeed sells tapered spacers (the two red ones seen in some of the photos). These can be stacked in either direction to create various degrees of cant."
Old 04-24-2017, 02:49 PM

Basically, it doesn't matter which one I buy.. the readings will vary from unit to unit. Lol
Old 04-24-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Just a FYI, they offer special rubbed pads for tapered barrels as an accessory now, not sure how they work haven't used them with mine, just saw them listed.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:55 PM

Magneto speed here. So far I like the convenience. No set up and slowing down the firing line at the range and not light sensitive , that for me sealed the deal.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Ok. But with the pads I have, both hard and soft, I have never had mine move.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Ok. But with the pads I have, both hard and soft, I have never had mine move.
I wasnt aware they made a hard and soft pad. Mine is the sporter model that came with 2 different thickness pads. I have a hard time to keep mine from moving as well.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I wasnt aware they made a hard and soft pad. Mine is the sporter model that came with 2 different thickness pads. I have a hard time to keep mine from moving as well.
The hard ones are spacers .. the soft ones are the barrel pads.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, go on the Western Metals site. They have all the different pads available. I have lots of different contour barrels, most with brakes. I have yet to find a combination that I can't mount. I have a total of 10 different pads, both hard and soft. I believe that's the total that they make. It covers all bases.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:55 AM

Default Prochrono

I use a prochrono like the one above. Don't seem to get any errors and it records lots of shot strings. Price was also right compared to labradar which is way cooler!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Banned

I have a Caldwell. I didn't get the premium kit but the chronicle is the same, it's just the add ons. I like that I can hook it up to phone and save the groups on it, as I'm sure some others do as well. So far I have only used it for my bow. I marked each arrow and shot them through. Multiple times daily, over the course of a few days and I got the same reading on the same arrows every time. I will be testing it out in a few weeks with the rifles I hope.