Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-21-2021, 07:58 PM

Default Trail Cam Check

Hey guys, just curious how often you guys check your trail cams that aren't cell cams? I set a stand and a half dozen cameras out this year in the area around it for whitetail (first time ever archery stand hunting for whitetail) but going in can be tough as I am essentially walking in on the path I am hoping the deer to be coming in on. Thoughts?
Old 07-21-2021, 09:09 PM

Don’t walk on the path you expect the deer to be using; use this time to clear a path an come in where they won’t smell you. As soon as they can smell the residual scent you leave behind this can cause them to change their habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2021, 09:25 PM

If it’s an area I have set up to hunt or decided I am hunting max twice a week. At this time of year when I am shuffling cams and trying to decide on my stand locations every week to 10 days.

Once I have decided I am going to set up a location I try to minimize activity.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:42 AM

Usually a about once a month till hunting season starts

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2021, 06:32 AM

I don’t have any cell cams just regular cams. No cell service where I hunt. I check my cams every 1-2 months. Don’t check too often. Also I put them up in a tree about 16 ft to discourage theft and so animals don’t see the glow at night
Old 07-22-2021, 06:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Once a week or every two weeks depends on what is being picked up....ohhh and yes many of my cams get nudged around by other critters if placed too low....chewed on by bears, licked by moose.....especially moose so I tend to put them up higher.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-25-2021, 09:00 PM

HA whenever I remember too.....
Old 07-29-2021, 01:24 PM

Put mine out March 31 just started checking two days ago for first time,change batteries and cards. Wont check again till late august. I try and check just before a forecasted rain even so that rain can help wash any scent away. Oh and hang a 4 foot vertical licking branch just off trails with cameras pointing at it, branch about 4 ft off ground. Camera's I checked yesterday have hundreds of pictures of bucks ,does, even fawns and moose all checking out the branch's rubbing and smelling
Old 07-29-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Put mine out March 31 just started checking two days ago for first time,change batteries and cards. Wont check again till late august. I try and check just before a forecasted rain even so that rain can help wash any scent away. Oh and hang a 4 foot vertical licking branch just off trails with cameras pointing at it, branch about 4 ft off ground. Camera's I checked yesterday have hundreds of pictures of bucks ,does, even fawns and moose all checking out the branch's rubbing and smelling
Been watching lots of videos about the licking Branch I'll be putting one up next week and also I'm going to try a rubbing post.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2021, 04:11 PM

I have never worried about scent while doing cams, and haven’t had any changes in animal behaviour because of it.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I have never worried about scent while doing cams, and haven’t had any changes in animal behaviour because of it.
Same here, deer don't just up and leave an area that easily. I have found that a sudden change like opening week or in some cases lots of bushwhacking hikers makes them a little skittish though. Whitetails are reluctant to leave their home area,they know the escape routs and where the thickest cover is.

Just based on my own observations over a lot of seasons.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:06 PM

I have had mature bucks leave or change routes do to too much traffic or altering their area. I have had increased traffic from ATVs or hunters alter a bucks routine many times. They don’t move far but it can be enough where a planned ambush point is now useless or into bush too thick to hunt. This can be for a short period or till the end of the season

If you are hunting deer in open areas this can be less of a issue but if you are hunting tight bush that a buck choosing a trail 20-50yards away can mean you don’t see him at all.

In my opinion it’s less about scent and more about them noticing changes to their area or noticing you/people in general. When you travel the same trail over and over you alter it more then hooved animals. Also just because you didn’t see them or they did not bust running doesn’t mean they didn’t watch you without you knowing. A lot of deer will freeze and hide in hopes the threat passes

I am not crazy about scent I **** out of my stand, and took many animals smoking cigars before I gave up the habit but they do notice heavy traffic
Old 07-29-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I have had mature bucks leave or change routes do to too much traffic or altering their area. I have had increased traffic from ATVs or hunters alter a bucks routine many times. They don’t move far but it can be enough where a planned ambush point is now useless or into bush too thick to hunt. This can be for a short period or till the end of the season

If you are hunting deer in open areas this can be less of a issue but if you are hunting tight bush that a buck choosing a trail 20-50yards away can mean you don’t see him at all.

In my opinion it’s less about scent and more about them noticing changes to their area or noticing you/people in general. When you travel the same trail over and over you alter it more then hooved animals. Also just because you didn’t see them or they did not bust running doesn’t mean they didn’t watch you without you knowing. A lot of deer will freeze and hide in hopes the threat passes

I am not crazy about scent I **** out of my stand, and took many animals smoking cigars before I gave up the habit but they do notice heavy traffic
You findings are about the same as mine. I have had deer stick there nose in my business while I watched from my camp,that's a lot more human scent than pee.
Change in human traffic seems to be the main cause of deer becoming illusive. On one particular lease I hunt that's wide open permission, its rare to see a buck after the first few days of rifle season. Go there in January and there back.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
You findings are about the same as mine. I have had deer stick there nose in my business while I watched from my camp,that's a lot more human scent than pee.
Change in human traffic seems to be the main cause of deer becoming illusive. On one particular lease I hunt that's wide open permission, its rare to see a buck after the first few days of rifle season. Go there in January and there back.
This is why I put in just as much effort thinking about avoiding other hunters/human traffic as I do looking for locations that may hold nice bucks

Too many times I have scouted out a location or nice buck to have other hunters or recourse workers or ATV traffic impact the area. It often changes the bucks travel routes or they go nocturnal and plans go out the window

I will take lower deer numbers in exchange for less pressure hands down
Old 07-31-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Same here, deer don't just up and leave an area that easily. I have found that a sudden change like opening week or in some cases lots of bushwhacking hikers makes them a little skittish though. Whitetails are reluctant to leave their home area,they know the escape routs and where the thickest cover is.

Just based on my own observations over a lot of seasons.
Agreed. The guy from Whitetail Institute was saying to keep a regular routine and not act any different when you are hunting. Impossible to control on crown land but can be done if you have sole access to your hunting area.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2021, 10:07 AM

Something to remember it’s pretty common for a whitetail buck to have a home range of around 5 sq km that means he doesn’t need to leave his comfortable home range if he shifts to avoid pressure

Often only a portion of that 5 sq km is provides reasonable hunting opportunity

Tags
archery, trail cam, treestand, whitetail