Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-21-2021, 07:20 PM

Default Extremely new hunter advice

So, I am set to hit 2 milestones this year - I turn 65 and hope to begin hunting for the first time. This is not a ‘get your PAL and start blasting’ kind of plan, I think I have been methodical in my preparation but hope you all will be patient with my inexperience!
I have purchased my first two firearms, a Marlin model 60 .22 semi auto and a Weatherby PA-08 12 gauge with a 28” smooth barrel. I ordered a 26” rifled slug barrel for the shotgun and mounted a scope. I have a rangefinder on order.
I joined the SPFGA and have range privileges at their range.
I’m in the process of working my way through the Alberta Hunter Education course. I do not anticipate any problem passing, but I may be presumptuous...
I grew up with air rifles as a teen, and in my older years I have developed a keen sense of the need for safety with firearms. I also have a keen desire for ethical harvesting of animals or birds with an eye to the regulations. Included in that is ensuring the harvest is done cleanly, meaning that I must know my firearms and their limitations, develop a level of accuracy that ensures clean kills and to fully understand my own limitations, ensuring high percentage shots.
All this will be well established BEFORE going hunting.
I am on a limited income, so I cannot afford high end equipment. I buy the best I can afford.
In anticipation of the possibilities, I have already gained owner permission to hunt on two excellent properties in Alberta, one by Two Hills, one by Lac
La Biche. Both offer the chance for geese, white tails or Mule deer, my prey of choice.
My question is - what am I missing? I am aware that there may be advantages to going with an experienced hunter, that is on the books, but what other steps would you recommend for me? I have already read some excellent threads on this forum, and will attempt to implement many of the fine suggestions. Anything else?
Old 07-21-2021, 07:34 PM

Regs.
Permission.
Go kill stuff. Keep it simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2021, 09:14 PM

Practice your shots on the range so you know your capabilities; time spent on the range will help you when the time comes in the fall.

Be mindful of what’s behind your game; avoid a boo boo by making sure the shot is safe.

Thank your landowners who let you hunt, those relationships will be key year after year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2021, 09:22 PM

Farmed in the Two Hills area. Gopher utopia. Great for developing basic shooting sense. Meet more landowners, scout the area.study your intended prey.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:23 PM

Looks like you on the right path, dont worry about all the marketing crap. You are much better off getting in the bush with what you have, than spending time worring about gear.

The Still Hunter by Theodore VanDyke
Was written in 1880's but much is relevant today. It was an enjoyable read.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:54 AM

Knife, weapon, binoculars, and a way to get animals back to the truck are the only true must haves for big game

Maybe add a hunting partner with a strong back and a weak mind lol

Sounds like you are on the right track with your thoughts on ethics regarding knowledge of your weapon. Looking at pics of a deers anatomy so you can consider shot selection and angles is wise.

If you get the opportunity to go with an experienced hunter with good ethics it would help
Old 07-22-2021, 07:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Invest in quality clothing from the head down to ensure you can endure what Mother Nature Will throw at you.

One thing that I have invested in that I really enjoy is a little buddy heater and one of those pop up blinds complete with the chair built in....-30 and the wind blowing right during the rut sure makes me stay out there all day....just a thought....

If you can hook up with the people who are experienced in hunting, not to say they are good at it but you will pick up something from each one to assist you in developing your style from pre scouting, harvesting game, field dressing, and even butchering....

Best thing is getting out and enjoying what you do...

Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-22-2021, 07:47 AM

It's never too late to start!
Range practice as was mentioned, is paramount, and once you get your rifle zeroed, learn too shoot it in the positions you will be hunting from.
That is, get off thee bench, and shoot kneeling, standing, leaning against a post , etc.
You will quickly find out just how far away your maximum range is!
It's nice to shoot tiny little groups, but if you can take a first round shot and put it into a pie plate sized circle every time, that is your maximum range.

You need a decent set of binoculars, and a good knife for sure.
keep reading and asking questions, because there are all kinds of little things that make hunting easier that many of us take for granted but are important.
Cat
Old 07-22-2021, 08:13 AM

I like how your approaching this great sport. As mentioned good set of bino's is a must , get the very best that you can afford.
You seem to be switched on with the safety but one thing i tell new hunters and especially people new to firearms is that there are a lot of people killed with 'un-loaded guns" control muzzle direction always and at end of day , getting in vehicle , check and check again to make sure the weapon is safely un-loaded.

Cheers and have fun !
Old 07-22-2021, 08:51 AM

Welcome to the club and agree with others that you're on the right path to starting out in the hunting world!

Some great points so far. One I would add is to do some research and watch some videos on field dressing big game, this includes having game bags/coolers on hand. This is especially important if you're hunting in the early season when temps can be warm and meat can spoil quickly. "After the shot" can sometimes cause unwanted stress if you're not prepared to deal with the animal you harvested.

Also, consider how you're going to get the animal out of it's current location before you pull the trigger. Especially if it's in a nasty spot and temps are warm.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:05 AM

Find the Alberta Wildlife Act online, and read the sections pertaining to hunting. Then read them again, and then a third time, if you are not absolutely certain that you understand the regs. Unlike many things, you need to know all regulations before you start, you can't learn the regs as you go. Nothing will ruin a hunt like being charged for violating a regulation that you didn't know existed, and most officers will not accept ignorance of the law as an excuse.
I also recommend checking out some online videos showing how to dress game in the field, and paying special attention to retaining evidence of sex, class, etc. I know multiple people that harvested their first animal while alone, and didn't know where to start, as far as dressing it in the field.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:41 PM

Default Great suggestions

This is exactly what I was hoping for, I see the need for some more work on how to get an animal out of the woods, field dressing, regulations, etc. A big thank you to the member who contacted me privately with an offer of assistance, this is a great forum. I will be spending time at the range but I thought the suggestion of practicing from the position you will be shooting from to be very practical, too.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!
Old 07-22-2021, 11:34 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Perhaps another one that is often overlooked is just getting active, walking etc can really benefit you once you hit the field too....walks in and out daily and then if successful getting the game home all take a little bit of energy so preparation with regards to strength and conditioning will go a long way.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-23-2021, 09:15 AM

Work towards finding a mentor hunter. It takes a long time to learn by "Trial and Error" Most of us hunters were lucky to have a mentor father that gave us a detailed course on hunting.
My father directed a one day hunt few years back and we harvested 5 moose that day.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:24 PM

Things I wish I had earlier in my hunting career:
8x40 binos
Bino harness (AGC or FHF)
Outdoor edge flipnblaze knife
Good headlamp (flashlights suck when you need both hands)

You will need some kind of game retrieval device, quad or game cart or pack. I never leave home without a pack of some kind, as deer often die in places you can’t get anything else near.

Learn the gutless method, especially if hunting solo. Dragging sucks. YouTube it.

Meateater: “complete guide to hunting, butchering, and cooking wild game” is a book every new hunter should buy and read cover to cover 3 times.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:20 PM

Get out of the truck!

When I stated I figured driving many km’s of lease roads would eventually end up with me filling a tag. Boy was I wrong. Barely saw anything and when I did it was heading away from me fast.

I became much more successful burning boot leather, and not even far off the roads, couple hundred yards and that’s where they are.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:50 PM

Default Common thread

Again, thanks for your input!

I sense a growing inclination on the part of contributors to this forum to suggest just getting out there and trying! As another thread mentions; advice from Fred Bear- “sitting still is the best Camo...”.

I like the idea of parking myself (not my vehicle) nearby a scrape or trail and just being patient. It is a hard learned lesson that one cannot tramp through the bush like a youngster when you hit 65, so work smarter, not harder. I agree that taking a deer deep in the bush would make it difficult to get him out, but could I not be a bit more strategic in my thinking and follow cut lines or openings in the bush that would allow me to bring in my vehicle to extract the animal? Buying a quad is not an option, maybe a game cart, but that’s it.

Anyway, I have appreciated all your thoughts and will mine the nuggets for my first hunt. If anything else comes to mind - post it, please!
Old 07-28-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Btfsplk View Post
Again, thanks for your input!

I sense a growing inclination on the part of contributors to this forum to suggest just getting out there and trying! As another thread mentions; advice from Fred Bear- “sitting still is the best Camo...”.

I like the idea of parking myself (not my vehicle) nearby a scrape or trail and just being patient. It is a hard learned lesson that one cannot tramp through the bush like a youngster when you hit 65, so work smarter, not harder. I agree that taking a deer deep in the bush would make it difficult to get him out, but could I not be a bit more strategic in my thinking and follow cut lines or openings in the bush that would allow me to bring in my vehicle to extract the animal? Buying a quad is not an option, maybe a game cart, but that’s it.

Anyway, I have appreciated all your thoughts and will mine the nuggets for my first hunt. If anything else comes to mind - post it, please!
Using brains over brawn will put more game on the ground anyway. A game cart or sled would be worth while
Old 07-29-2021, 09:20 AM

Joe, be careful of driving truck down cutline or poor bush road to haul your game out. Your work will not be in extracting kill, it will be in getting 6000 lb truck out of the swamp.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:59 PM

Default Hmmm....

Good point. You can tell I am new.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:42 AM

Look for crossings on funnels and cut lines. Park your butt downwind and wait. Be ready, they appear out of nowhere sometimes. If a doe crosses a buck may soon follow.

Good luck.