Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-20-2021, 09:24 PM

Default Finding Buck sign in deep bush

Hi all!
I have a question for those of you who are experienced in hunting Whitetails in the deep bush. I’m in the far North area of the province, near High Level. I’ve only been hunting a few years, and I want to become proficient at hunting whitetails in the bush where they are rather than waiting for them to come out into the open. I e read everything on the subject I could find on this forum already, and gleaned much valuable info. I work in the bush pretty much year-round, doing layout for future harvest, so I walk pretty much every habitat there is, and I’m usually walking the transition between two forest types. In all my walking, I’ve never seen buck sign like scrapes or rubs. I know deer are around, because I see them occasionally and find tracks, but never buck sign. My goal this summer is to keep my eyes open while I work, and be able to start pinpointing areas where there are higher concentrations of deer, and especially signs of bucks in the area. So my question is: what should I be looking for? What types of bush should I pay attention to? What kinds of trees usually have trees on them? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2021, 10:24 PM

Bucks rub on smaller trees, rarely over 4” on poplars. They’ll thrash willows too.
Both of these signs are visible for years afterwards. If they’re there you must be missing seeing the rubs, which is kind of easy after the first year. Rublines are usually on the edges of bush or along trails, at least that’s where I see them.
But these are just signs that bucks are around, you don’t need to hunt rublines or scrapes… but I’ve had my best success near scrapes. Some of the scrapes I’ve made myself then the deer took them over.

Sitting still for 45 minutes or more is a good way to see the deer, they already know you’re there but will kind of forget after awhile. Still hunting in thick bush is a lot of fun but not as productive as sitting and waiting for them to come to you.

At the right time calling, rattling etc. can help- or mess you right up

The safest is to sit and wait. A treestand helps, I hate them they’re so cold but they really will greatly improve your lines of sight.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:03 PM

I have never been to high level so no clue what kind of bush you are hunting so I can only offer basic principles. Whitetail will adapt to almost any kind of habitat but you will find they have things they prefer within it

Best way to learn is start following game trails in the areas you are seeing deer or deer tracks. Cover ground but pay attention to the sign and the kind of terrain you find it in. Over time you will notice trends on the kind of habitat the deer in your area prefer. You will also start to notice trends on where they prefer to bed, make scrape lines, and there preferred paths they take according to the terrain

This may not give you a lot of information but it’s hard to beat the knowledge you will gain about your area and deer in it if you do it

Rubs in my opinion are easy to find because they are made to be markers. The edge of open or semi open areas are good starting points. You will often find them where trails go in/out of the bush. Walking pipelines, clearing edges old roads, leases and even watching closely driving down the road. Deciduous trees seem to be preferred anything from 1/2-4inch around usually

Mixed timber both species and age. If there is thick young timber on the edge of mature mixed timber this can of be a good are to look for scrape lines. They are often under the evergreens. Finding scrape lines gets easier when you understand the areas that are main travel routes. In wet areas it is often the dry ground even small ridges. Often it is the secluded paths of least resistance. In Brocken ground the tops of ridges or valleys. Old partly grown in systemic lines. Fence lines from cattle gaurds Or leases. They are often on or near heavy game trails in moderately thick bush. Most cases the are found under evergreens

Hope that helps
Old 07-21-2021, 01:25 AM

Indeed, getting out and walking the trails is the only way to find out and learn, really, imo. I haven’t had anyone to learn from, so I learned most of it in the bush. In the beginning, it seems lifeless, as far as deer and other ungulates go. Then little by little you start noticing things and things get better. Once you find a rub or two, you will be seeing them all over: it’s just like a model of the vehicle you never notice around, but once you buy one - they are everywhere, even if it’s a really rare one.

In my experience, best rubs where they really work and always come back to are left on spruce (that’s about the only evergreen in my neck of the woods). The bush I hunt is mostly poplar, willow, and other low- and medium-growth vegetation. Spruce is kind of rare in comparison. Birch is even more so. They would rub both of those with more effort (again, in my experience). Not sure if it is the tar content or what, but they definitely prefer those. They will rub poplar/aspen as well, but they will choose spruce (and birch) every time if there is one around. If you find a good rubbing spot (a few trees that were really worked on), there will always be a scrape or a few on the trail coming in or out. These places are usually fairly secluded but are never far from an opening of some kind.

There isn’t really much to say. I mean there is a lot to say, but none of it will make sense until you experience it yourself. It really is just a matter of walking the trails (game trails), seeing where they take you, what’s around and what’s out of place (though it is all in place and where it should be, but these things eventually become so obvious that they look like they are out of place, they stick out).

Rubs vary by the angulate leaving them behind. Whitetail work at them the hardest (in my experience) and they will rub the thickest trees. I saw them rubbing a foot in diameter spruce and making quite a bit of damage. They also trash some brush, which is hard or impossible to distinguish from the mule deer or even elk. This tree was trashed by a mule deer the evening before the pic was taken:

This was the work of an elk last season (you can see the roughed up spruce and the “stick” in front of it of whatever it was prior to rubbing”):

Here is another “rub”:

The one above is also work of an elk, but it is a complete opposite of the one before that. On the one before the “stick” was broken off at the height of about 5 feet (or higher); on the latter, it isn’t taller than 3 feet (I don’t recall exactly).

Here are a few more rubs (none are likely whitetail; the last one is elk):

And now here is a whitetail:

These rubs are a year old from when the pic was taken with the exception of the most left one, which is from prior years.

Here is another one, with rubs of just a week or a few old:

This is what a solid rub on a spruce looks like up close:

I take a lot of random photos when I am out, so… lol. Unfortunately, my phone died last year and took all the pics with it (the back up got messed up too). I had some very good examples there, but no more. The threads here where I could have posted some pics no longer have them either, it appears (the last three were taken from this thread: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=371573).

The scrapes can also look differently. Some look like someone moved the leaves around on the trail, others are actually “deep” holes 2-3 feet long. Don’t have good examples, but here are a few.

With snow on the ground, they are quite obvious.

Not sure how much of help this post is, but this is what to look for as far as scrapes and rubs go.

Seriously, get out there and hit those trails. Walk around, look, listen, etc. No one will teach you better than the bush.

Good luck!
Old 07-21-2021, 09:19 AM

Another reason to get out and just follow trails is sometimes deer can act different in different areas. Also hunters develop different preferences for the terrain they choose to hunt. Like I mentioned earlier whitetail adapt to a wide variety of habitat but it’s a matter of finding what they like within each kind of bush

For example by looking at Fishnguys post I can see in his pics and his descriptions we prefer to target different styles of bush. Neither is right or wrong because we are both hunting where we find the deer/sign. It is also an on going learning process for example up until last winter I avoided the flat areas dominated by muskeg in favor of areas with broken ground/small elevation changes. Well after investing time and KMs in the areas dominated by muskeg I am finding some good pockets of deer within it. I have drove past this style of bush for years but I now look at it in a different light

Whitetail are so adaptable they can be found just about anywhere. I have hunted them in so many different styles of habitat over a good portion of Alberta/BC that I have come to the conclusion they can live anywhere. The only trends that always play true is they use the paths of least resistance to get around and prefer to use cover of some sort when traveling in daylight vs being in the open

Think of them as paranoid and lazy.

If it’s swampy look for the the areas they can travel without sinking. If there is elevation changes follow the contours of the land rather then fight it. If there is too much blow down and debris causing you to trip or crawl over look for clearer ground. If the under growth is thick enough you feel you are getting tangled or pushing through it find where it thins out. Mature evergreens kill the under growth making it easier to travel especially if the branches start high on the trunk. Once you realize they are lazy and efficient with their travels you can just look at the bush and know where the main travel routes are. If you are looking from the road don’t look straight at the bush as the first few yards can be thick.Look at the tree tops and see where it thins or the mature trees are

If it’s open terrain look for any form of cover that makes it harder for them to be see it could be a simple dip bush, or even tall grass. I can think of a ton of areas that deer travel literally right under everyones nose on heavily trails just out of sight

Just approach the bush like a lazy meth bead that is scared of everything and start exploring

Last edited by Smoky buck; 07-21-2021 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:31 AM

Love this thread.
OP, your totally on the right track, I also applaud you for asking help on the how too rather than the " hey hunting wmu*** can someone tell me where the big bucks are?" Kind of question so often asked on these threads..... good on all the guys sharing hard earned knowledge...this is how our hunting community should be.
Must say for myself I've spent decades hunting but never really worked hard at hunting WT deer, usually I tag a buck every year, but never really perused them as a main target species. Appreciate all the info shared here
Old 07-21-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Love this thread.
OP, your totally on the right track, I also applaud you for asking help on the how too rather than the " hey hunting wmu*** can someone tell me where the big bucks are?" Kind of question so often asked on these threads..... good on all the guys sharing hard earned knowledge...this is how our hunting community should be.
Must say for myself I've spent decades hunting but never really worked hard at hunting WT deer, usually I tag a buck every year, but never really perused them as a main target species. Appreciate all the info shared here
Asking how I hunt is not an issue because I enjoy sharing my experiences and know someone needs to put in the work to get results. Ask me where to go I am vague and I know when it comes to public land it will just resort to more hunters driving in circles. Truth is I don’t hunt anywhere special I just put in the work to learn my area and I know if anyone chooses to but in the effort to learn other areas they will get results

There is hidden gems of hunting spots even in WMUs people think suck or are over hunted. You just may need to bust your butt and eat your tag well you learn where the good pockets are with whitetail
Old 07-21-2021, 04:08 PM

Thanks everyone for your input! Some very helpful information here. The pics were great too, gives me an idea of what to look for. I’ve never seen a run like that on a spruce tree while walking the bush, but then I have to keep my mind on working and probably miss lots of stuff. I always keep my eyes open for sign when I’m out though. One of these days, like y’all said, I’ll find some time to get in the bush and follow the game trails and see where they take me. Is there any point to doing that now, or is it better to wait til later in the fall?

The terrain here is pretty flat, lots of low, wet/swampy ground. Most elevation changes are pretty gentle, and a few feet higher ground makes a big difference in the bush type. What about willow flats? Have you found whitetails like those, or like being next to them?

I’ve gotten so frustrated with sitting still for hours in an area I know there’s deer, and never seeing anything! I want to learn to get in the bush with them and try still hunting, a bit of calling and rattling, and maybe do some tracking if the conditions are right just to see what happens. Really my goal is just to get more proficient at filling the freezer, not necessarily taking the biggest buck in the bush. Thanks again for all the input and time taken to write; it is much appreciated!
Old 07-21-2021, 04:28 PM

I prefer to use a tree stand in areas that would not work for still hunt but I do still hunt and grew up hunting that way. Look for mature timber that is mostly large evergreens that back on to poplar groves. It is easier to move quietly and you get good visibility. Still hunting works but you need to pick areas that give you the ability to move silently and cover reasonable amount of ground that offers visibility. It works but it’s a skill you need to learn

Being in a wet area with minimal elevation changes look for the dry ground. If it’s a narrow strip it creates a natural funnel often creating a heavy path for the area

I use calling often a combination of bleats, rattling and grunt calls

As for willow flats they do use them but I don’t seek them out as hunting locations. I prefer to target poplar/aspen groves for feeding areas and evergreens for bedding areas
Old 07-23-2021, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
For example by looking at Fishnguys post I can see in his pics and his descriptions we prefer to target different styles of bush.
You are talking about that first pic in my post, aren’t you?

Most of those photos are from the last season elk hunting, which stretched to be the whole season for me (until November 28, if I recall correctly), which was my own fault/choice. So I didn’t really get to hunt deer last season, womp, womp. Hopefully, this year. Though I grabbed an undersubscribed November moose tag in an unfamiliar to me area, so maybe not, lol. I wouldn’t hunt that area for whitetail from what I know about it.

The bush I hunt for deer mostly looks like the photos in the thread I linked in my previous post. There are a few other threads and posts I made before, but I can’t think of any particular at the moment, and likely the photos aren’t there anymore anyway. The bush is usually thick with “short” visibility. Some places you can’t see ten yards out or less, but if the sign is good… I think you and me talked about it in some other thread(s), lol. Deja vu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcG View Post
I’ve never seen a run like that on a spruce tree while walking the bush
You will see it on aspen/poplar (and other trees) as well. In my experience, those are more random though. Most they never come back to and it’s just a one time thing. Not all, by no means, but most. I couple (?) of years ago, a buck kept rubbing on poplar about 8 inches in diameter pretty much from root to his head height a few days/nights in a row and I never “caught” him. Areas like that first whitetail rubs pic in my previous posts would have a number of trees with rubs from small to really big. It’s “their” area when the time comes. That particular spot has a couple dozen trees, easy, with some heavy rubs. They are mostly spruce, but a few birches as well. That guy actually broke a couple of birches while working them. There is a couple of pics of the buck that left all those behind in the thread I linked, apparently, at the end of the thread.

Quote:
Is there any point to doing that now, or is it better to wait til later in the fall?
It really depends on what your goal is. When I started out, I knew the bush I was hunting like my neighbourhood because I have spent a lot of time there walking/hiking year round prior to that (not so much in the winter because of limited access). I had no clue about any signs or anything hunting related because it wasn’t my concern; I simply loved the area and hiked there a lot. Of course, when I started hunting, I found out a lot more about that place.

There is nothing wrong with going out and hitting the trails any time of year. Many people would say to stay away after the season or in spring in particular, to give them space, etc. I don’t see it that way. You are not there to literally chase them or anything like that. You are just passing by. If you hit a bedding area (you will recognise one easily by seeing a bunch of “beds”), look around and move on. Chances are they won’t be there anyway or hear you coming from a distance away and move out of your path and come back to it later. If you happen to bump them off, don’t follow, let them be. There is absolutely nothing you can gain by chasing them around in the off-season.

Walking those trails now won’t give much understanding of bucks’ movement or their habits during the hunting season because their behaviour and movement will change, most often drastically, when the hunting season starts. Some of it has to do with additional pressure from hunters, later with the rut season. Once rut comes around, for example, areas where you mostly see plenty of does, will have a few new bucks roaming around, those that weren’t there since February-ish.

However, by walking around now, or any other time, you will learn the area, learn the trails. Trails don’t change, they are always there. They may not be used from time to time, but they are always there. That’s how you know they are game trails. The more of those trails you know, the better. Knowing the “trail network” is for your advantage for obvious reasons, but one example being if it snowed last week and you come to a usually busy trail that has no tracks, you would know where to go next. You can also create a trail (as long as it makes sense) in the snow to benefit yourself, and so on. Knowing the area is pretty crucial, especially if you are planning to still hunt.

And then again, neither rubs, nor good scrapes magically disappear after the rut is over. They might be harder to spot due to green vegetation, but they are always there. In all likelihood, every scrape you can actually find in the summer will be scraped again the following season. Those are significant and likely permanent scrapes.

Quote:
What about willow flats? Have you found whitetails like those, or like being next to them?
In my experience, if we are talking about the same thing, they are mostly pass through areas. I wouldn’t hunt one any of those spots in particular, but would also pass through them if they are in the vicinity out of my own curiosity.

Quote:
I’ve gotten so frustrated with sitting still for hours in an area I know there’s deer, and never seeing anything!
Imagine walking all day or a few and not seeing anything anyway, lol. And that’s how it will mostly be in the beginning. I am not a sitter myself. Can’t spend more than a few minutes in one spot (doubt I stayed over an hour in any particular spot). When still hunting, an important aspect to learn is to slow down when necessary (and when is necessary is something learn as well), stand still, etc. Sounds like an easy enough task, right? It isn’t. There will be frustration, no doubt about it.

They also say that there is more success hunting from a stand than still hunting. As long as your stand is in the right place.

Quote:
I want to learn to get in the bush with them
Need to know the bush first. So back to walking the trails

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2021, 05:44 AM

Fishnguy that first pic looks like a prime honey hole

It’s very possible we have talked bush whitetail it’s an easy subject to get me rambling on and my memory is not the best. But somehow I can walk straight to a tree I have not sat in for 10years way in the bush without missing a beat

I will have to remember to take pics of the bush next time I am checking cams to give MarcG some ideas. My cams are spread out over two WMUs where I target multiple styles of bush. I pass through some great still hunting locations to get to my ambush spots.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:52 PM

Scrapes are worth more than rubs.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:25 AM

^ Yes, but then it depends. If there is a spot like I talked about above, “his” zone with numerous rubs on multiple trees, I would pick that over a scrape any day. Plus, a spot like that will have a scrape or two within a couple dozens yards from it as well, from what I have seen anyway. Problem is that in that particular case, no matter which I pick, the buck I want hasn’t been caught, lol. At least not by me - I have no idea if he is still alive. Maybe I should set up a couple of cameras again this season and see if they can catch him.

Quote:
Fishnguy that first pic looks like a prime honey hole
Haha. You should see my elk spot!

Ran into this bad boy today. Actually spotted it from the car when driving (lol) but then happened to be next to it when walking with my daughter (lolx2). Of course I walked up to it to check it out. Not in my neck of the woods (you can see plenty of pines, which we don’t have).

The cool thing about rubbed conifers is that they often hold hair for quite a bit of time, so you can figure out who worked the tree sometimes years after. This one lost a good chunk of it’s bark thanks to an elk, that put quite a bit of effort into it too and stripped it pretty much from all sides and worked himself into the wood as well.

Also ran into this alder that has been worked on last year:

Old 07-26-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input! Some very helpful information here. The pics were great too, gives me an idea of what to look for. I’ve never seen a run like that on a spruce tree while walking the bush, but then I have to keep my mind on working and probably miss lots of stuff. I always keep my eyes open for sign when I’m out though. One of these days, like y’all said, I’ll find some time to get in the bush and follow the game trails and see where they take me. Is there any point to doing that now, or is it better to wait til later in the fall?

The terrain here is pretty flat, lots of low, wet/swampy ground. Most elevation changes are pretty gentle, and a few feet higher ground makes a big difference in the bush type. What about willow flats? Have you found whitetails like those, or like being next to them?

I’ve gotten so frustrated with sitting still for hours in an area I know there’s deer, and never seeing anything! I want to learn to get in the bush with them and try still hunting, a bit of calling and rattling, and maybe do some tracking if the conditions are right just to see what happens. Really my goal is just to get more proficient at filling the freezer, not necessarily taking the biggest buck in the bush. Thanks again for all the input and time taken to write; it is much appreciated!
Yes the biggest bucks will bed on the smallest amount of dry ground in those willow flats, because nothing can get to them without splashing and scraping and snapping twigs. They will also bed in tamarack hell holes for the same reason. But there’s very little deer food in either.

What you are looking for is a series of higher “ridges” that connect. A ridge in this case being just high enough to be dry all the time, and leading to better browsing. There will be trails on them, it’s easiest to scout these areas before greenup as you are looking for buck sign and droppings. Once you find it, you can look at a sat map and backtrack to the bucks likely bedding area. Once you have that figured out, you have to pick a spot in between that you can get to undetected with the wind in your favor and has a good shooting lane or two. Then you sit still in that spot during November and stay quiet. If you use calls, they circle down wind 95% of the time. If you get busted, they’re gone, and they will scent check that spot every time for the rest of the season. These things survive by avoiding wolves, they don’t act dumb the way farmland deer sometimes do.

If all this sounds hard, that’s because it is. Bush bucks occur in very low densities, and may only travel during shooting light for 2-3 weeks in nov. You could be in the perfect spot and sit there for a week or two before getting a sighting, and that’s with no mistakes.

Now since you’re in forestry, you may know of some place that’s been harvested in the last couple years and not sprayed. Go back and check for deer sign. There will probably be a deer trail 10-40 yards in the bush, paralleling the clearing on the downwind edge. If you find a good trail, get back into the bush downwind of both the trail and the feeding area. That’s where the buck will be at last light in November.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Indeed, getting out and walking the trails is the only way to find out and learn, really, imo. I haven’t had anyone to learn from, so I learned most of it in the bush. In the beginning, it seems lifeless, as far as deer and other ungulates go. Then little by little you start noticing things and things get better. Once you find a rub or two, you will be seeing them all over: it’s just like a model of the vehicle you never notice around, but once you buy one - they are everywhere, even if it’s a really rare one.

In my experience, best rubs where they really work and always come back to are left on spruce (that’s about the only evergreen in my neck of the woods). The bush I hunt is mostly poplar, willow, and other low- and medium-growth vegetation. Spruce is kind of rare in comparison. Birch is even more so. They would rub both of those with more effort (again, in my experience). Not sure if it is the tar content or what, but they definitely prefer those. They will rub poplar/aspen as well, but they will choose spruce (and birch) every time if there is one around. If you find a good rubbing spot (a few trees that were really worked on), there will always be a scrape or a few on the trail coming in or out. These places are usually fairly secluded but are never far from an opening of some kind.

There isn’t really much to say. I mean there is a lot to say, but none of it will make sense until you experience it yourself. It really is just a matter of walking the trails (game trails), seeing where they take you, what’s around and what’s out of place (though it is all in place and where it should be, but these things eventually become so obvious that they look like they are out of place, they stick out).

Rubs vary by the angulate leaving them behind. Whitetail work at them the hardest (in my experience) and they will rub the thickest trees. I saw them rubbing a foot in diameter spruce and making quite a bit of damage. They also trash some brush, which is hard or impossible to distinguish from the mule deer or even elk. This tree was trashed by a mule deer the evening before the pic was taken:

This was the work of an elk last season (you can see the roughed up spruce and the “stick” in front of it of whatever it was prior to rubbing”):

Here is another “rub”:

The one above is also work of an elk, but it is a complete opposite of the one before that. On the one before the “stick” was broken off at the height of about 5 feet (or higher); on the latter, it isn’t taller than 3 feet (I don’t recall exactly).

Here are a few more rubs (none are likely whitetail; the last one is elk):

And now here is a whitetail:

These rubs are a year old from when the pic was taken with the exception of the most left one, which is from prior years.

Here is another one, with rubs of just a week or a few old:

This is what a solid rub on a spruce looks like up close:

I take a lot of random photos when I am out, so… lol. Unfortunately, my phone died last year and took all the pics with it (the back up got messed up too). I had some very good examples there, but no more. The threads here where I could have posted some pics no longer have them either, it appears (the last three were taken from this thread: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=371573).

The scrapes can also look differently. Some look like someone moved the leaves around on the trail, others are actually “deep” holes 2-3 feet long. Don’t have good examples, but here are a few.

With snow on the ground, they are quite obvious.

Not sure how much of help this post is, but this is what to look for as far as scrapes and rubs go.

Seriously, get out there and hit those trails. Walk around, look, listen, etc. No one will teach you better than the bush.

Good luck!

haha I swear I hunt that same rub area, maybe not but looks exactly like a spot I hunt.

To the OP finding buck sign in the bush is all well and good but not necessary during the rut. Just need to find the does and a buck will show up if he is not already there.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:00 PM

Remi Warren has a really good podcast called Cutting the Distance that you can listen to while driving. He goes into extensive detail on what to look for and how to find it for all types of game. For both archery and rifle.
I would highly recommend listening.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2021, 03:08 PM

My own method is pretty simple... find places where a ridge in the topography, and an edge in the vegitation exist in close proximity. Idealy I snowshoe these areas the winter before, if not I just start "speed hunting" them early in the season... stillhunting but covering 5-8 km a day. I'm looking for buck sign, but mostly I'm looking for high concentrations of deer sign, if you have lots of deer then when the rut kicks in you are going to have some good bucks swing through. By the time the rut kicks in I have generally decided on 3-4 areas that I like best, I still hunt these on a rotation much slower through November... probably covering about 1-3 KM a day.

Its so simple it might sound stupid to some, but I beleive my results speak for themselves.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Especialy in swampy area you are going to want to look for high ground. It can be tough, because a hill or ridge in these types of areas is often so subtle that it wont show up on a Topo map. River or creek vallys can provide the same effect as a ridge and are easyer to find.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Scrapes are worth more than rubs.
Only primary scrapes (ones that many bucks and does visit) are productive for me. Tracks tell the tale.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Only primary scrapes (ones that many bucks and does visit) are productive for me. Tracks tell the tale.
Bush hunting success is 100% about tracks... the tracks you make, and the tracks you find. The better you get at making tracks in the right direction, and the better you get at interpreting the tracks you find, the better your success will be. It really is that simple, tracks.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Bush hunting success is 100% about tracks... the tracks you make, and the tracks you find. The better you get at making tracks in the right direction, and the better you get at interpreting the tracks you find, the better your success will be. It really is that simple, tracks.
Valuable tool without a doubt but reading the bush and contour of the land is right up there if not more valuable when snow is lacking

A good mix of knowledge and using the right skill to capitalize on the conditions is what I have always considered to be what brings the most success

But all hunters have there strengths and often lean towards them
Old 08-08-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Valuable tool without a doubt but reading the bush and contour of the land is right up there if not more valuable when snow is lacking

A good mix of knowledge and using the right skill to capitalize on the conditions is what I have always considered to be what brings the most success

But all hunters have there strengths and often lean towards them
True enough, but I think learning to read the brush/ topo is mostly developed by making and reading tracks when the conditions are right. I just think, for a new bush hunter, tracks are the foundation that everything else gets built on. If one were to skip this step, or underestimate its importance, one's progress is likely to be much slower and more frustrating.

I do pretty well hunting bare ground, even in places I've never hunted before, but its directly because of the considerable time I've put in looking at tracks and drawing parallels in the seasons prior to such a hunt.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-08-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
True enough, but I think learning to read the brush/ topo is mostly developed by making and reading tracks when the conditions are right. I just think, for a new bush hunter, tracks are the foundation that everything else gets built on. If one were to skip this step, or underestimate its importance, one's progress is likely to be much slower and more frustrating.

I do pretty well hunting bare ground, even in places I've never hunted before, but its directly because of the considerable time I've put in looking at tracks and drawing parallels in the seasons prior to such a hunt.
It’s a great skill and in Alberta you are going to get good conditions for tracking. No argument once the snow flies tracking can teach you a lot

I grew up hunting in areas and time of year where tracks were not the best option do to conditions so likely we were just taught different. Tracking outside of recovery I did not learn until I was in my 20s. 9 times out of 10 I can still just look at the bush and have a good idea where to look in new ground

Either way time in the bush is still the main factor some just learn differently
Old 08-09-2021, 12:27 AM

Quote:
It’s a great skill and in Alberta you are going to get good conditions for tracking. No argument once the snow flies tracking can teach you a lot

I grew up hunting in areas and time of year where tracks were not the best option do to conditions so likely we were just taught different. Tracking outside of recovery I did not learn until I was in my 20s. 9 times out of 10 I can still just look at the bush and have a good idea where to look in new ground

Either way time in the bush is still the main factor some just learn differently
Just to clarify, I was not specifically talking about tracking, I've taken more than a few animals by tracking but it makes up a very small portion of my deer hunting. Its by far the most difficult and physically demanding method of killing a bush deer, including using a bow from a blind IMO, and I would not recommend that someone without a fair bit of experience concentrate on it to any great degree.

I simply mean, covering enough ground, and making note of the tracks you find, to get a perspective on what types of areas are likely to hold good concentrations of deer. Basically as you said, spend lots of time in the bush and keep your eyes open, learn to interpret the sign. Actual tracking is a totally different subject IMO, though also highly educational.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-09-2021 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Just to clarify, I was not specifically talking about tracking, I've taken more than a few animals by tracking but it makes up a very small portion of my deer hunting. Its by far the most difficult and physically demanding method of killing a bush deer, including using a bow from a blind IMO, and I would not recommend that someone without a fair bit of experience concentrate on it to any great degree.

I simply mean, covering enough ground, and making note of the tracks you find, to get a perspective on what types of areas are likely to hold good concentrations of deer. Basically as you said, spend lots of time in the bush and keep your eyes open, learn to interpret the sign. Actual tracking is a totally different subject IMO, though also highly educational.
That makes more sense and definitely taking note of sign along with the habitat you find it in is huge
Old 08-09-2021, 09:36 AM

I totally agree with Bushleague. "Tracks and Tracking" When you track a deer or elk they will lead you to their buddies. Both old and fresh tracks tell a story! Even in dirt and mud tracks still tell a story. Also the poop should be read.
Still cannot figure it out but every track I have followed seems to lead right to an animal.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:52 PM

After reading this thread this morning I remembered I said I would post a pic of some decent still hunting timber. Well at least the kind of stuff I like. This is mixed timber with mature trees that gives reasonable visibility that backs onto younger thick spruce, tamarack, and willow. The young timber is full of grown in systemic lines and it’s too thick to hunt even from a stand. This provides a sanctuary for deer to hide/bed without being disturbed. They feed in the mixed timber

We call this area the land of 8’s because every single buck I had on cam was an 8 point and there was lots of them

The other kind of timber I like is mature evergreens with high branches and minimal debris on the ground. Find where this transitions to mixed timber or poplar and work the edge about 50yards into the evergreens. If there is a moss floor that is wet after a rain or snow melting you can travel like a ninja lol

If you can and in land contours even small ridge even better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2021, 01:59 AM

^ That’s probably nice to hunt, smoky. Nice and open (good visibility a distance away). Don’t have that where I hunt. The bush is way more closed. There is no way I would be able to take a pic like that in the green months. Maybe in some small pockets, but not in general and probably not even close. I do find that there is an advantage to that too though. For example, if you bump a deer, whether randomly or the one you were tracking, there is a high probability that it will run 10 yards (or less even) and freeze trying to figure out what is going on or waiting for your next move. The deer can see only as far as you can in the thicket. Unfortunately, the senses of hearing and smell are on deer’s side, lol. That doesn’t mean we can’t win though. If the deer did, in fact, run/jump a negligible distance away and stopped, just wait and see what happens while trying to get a visual of it. If you wait long enough, it will start moving again and show itself. Sometimes it isn’t the case and the wind is in your favour (and in a situation like this it must be because otherwise that deer would run much further and likely before you even know it was there in the first place), bump it again and pay attention because now it isn’t random and you should at least know where to look when it moves again. You can also move more freely or faster when the deer moves and before it stops again. Not sure if it makes sense talking about it, but it sure does out there, lol. Your number of tries with this strategy is pretty limited but it works. Unfortunately, often there is nothing to shoot at even if you know exactly where that deer is and even if you see some of it. Also, and mainly, you still need to see what you are shooting at. There are definitely way easier (though less fun) ways to get a doe or a small buck into your freezer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendmethem View Post
haha I swear I hunt that same rub area, maybe not but looks exactly like a spot I hunt.
Haha. Doubtful (never saw a footprint or any other sign of human presence there), but who knows. Which WMU?

It appears the consensus is getting out there works best, lol.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ That’s probably nice to hunt, smoky. Nice and open (good visibility a distance away). Don’t have that where I hunt. The bush is way more closed. There is no way I would be able to take a pic like that in the green months. Maybe in some small pockets, but not in general and probably not even close.
Yeah, I have some areas that look a little like that once theres snow on the ground, but most of the areas I hunt are conciderably worse. As long as I can see 20-30 yards most of the time I'm pretty happy with that, often though it is less. Basically I just try to remember that if I cant see very far, neither can the deer, and just try to stay positive.

Hunting rugged territory helps allot though, when one is looking down from a ridge, or even at the side of the ridge from the bottom, the effect of at the landscape rather than accross the landscape can be a game changer. When ground conditions are not good I tend to heavily base my stillhunting around this.

This is about as ideal as it gets for me. Conditions were obvously pretty ideal for stillhunting that day.

DSCF1244 by , on Flickr

This area is much worse, I tracked this guy for about half a day and for most of it the visibility range was absolutely terrible. Obviously well worth the frustration in that case. Most days you just have to have faith that if you hunt hard the chips will fall in your favor when it matters.

DSCF1816 by , on Flickr

This buck was shot at less than 10 yards, stillhunting in the first week of the season. Visibility was generally pretty bad, almost nobody would have reccomended stillhunting.

DSCF1205 by , on Flickr

Tracked this guy down too, Heather shot him at about 30 yards which would have been the absolute maximum range we could shoot.

PA110230 by , on Flickr

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-10-2021 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:19 AM

Thant pic is not what most of my area looks like but there is pockets like that if you look around. The visibility is 20-60 yards but looks like more because I am on a slight slope. If I took a pic of the bush behind me it’s so thick you have to push through and zero visibility. I said it was nice bush to still hunt not what is readily available

This is where burning boot leather and scouting for hours pays I find all the good spots

A lot of my area looks no different then what bushleage posted but also areas dominated by evergreens. I am in Drayton Valley so very similar habitat. I hunt from a tree stand for my ambush hunting for a reason. Visibility from the ground is extremely lacking in most areas

Fishnguy a trick I use when still hunting is I carry a communication bleat. This works wonders when you bump a deer and it doesn’t know what you are. This call is great for causing deer to step out because they think you are another deer instead of being unsure of what you are. This call is not great for bringing in deer from a distance but works wonders for creating opportunities in close quarters.

Last edited by Smoky buck; 08-10-2021 at 05:44 AM.

Tags
buck sign, bush bucks, timber hunting