Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-18-2021, 06:22 PM

Seems like the end of our big mature Mule deer is at hand. If they increase the harvest purely for a cull we could go back to the days when a three year old buck was considered a trophy on the prairies.

It will hit outfitters hard,Alberta is probably the premier place for a trophy in North America.

I wonder whats going on in Saskatchewan.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Wagon View Post
maybe its good you didn't apply, for all we know right now perhaps they will have numerous licences available through under subscribed?
Get your tag and still have your current Ant. MDeer priority points.
zones that take a high priority will still be draw, just at lower priority. Wont be any undersubscribed tags for anything thats P3+
Old 07-18-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
zones that take a high priority will still be draw, just at lower priority. Wont be any undersubscribed tags for anything thats P3+
Bang on
Old 07-19-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
If many WMU's are opened up to 3-400+ buck tags I think a fair amount of P3+ zones will have undersubscribed. If not this draw, next year IMO.
A fair amount of hunters don't want to hunt CWD "cull" zones and where there will be hunters everywhere. As well, the quality of bucks will drop after the first year or two which will drive more hunters away from hunting those zones.
Mulie does will probably not even have all the "cull" tags purchased before the season starts.....

Last edited by 7magtime; 07-19-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:46 PM

Default Nah

Nah, Alberta doesn’t rank very high in the books for mule deer anymore. Big hitters are Sonora, Arizona, Sask, Colorado etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Seems like the end of our big mature Mule deer is at hand. If they increase the harvest purely for a cull we could go back to the days when a three year old buck was considered a trophy on the prairies.

It will hit outfitters hard,Alberta is probably the premier place for a trophy in North America.

I wonder whats going on in Saskatchewan.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Nah, Alberta doesn’t rank very high in the books for mule deer anymore. Big hitters are Sonora, Arizona, Sask, Colorado etc.
Are Sonora Mule deer considered free range?
Old 07-20-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Why wouldn’t they be?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-20-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Much like bighorns down there, there are both options. Also keep in mind, a lot of the "fenced" ones are in fenced areas that are many, many, many thousands of acres of land, not saying its any better but theyre definelty huge tracts of land.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:00 PM

I just checked my Mule deer draw results on the AlbertaRELM App, the results are there. I pulled my buck tag!
Couldn’t see my kids mule deer doe results yet on the AlbertaRELM website, they don’t have the app yet…
Old 08-06-2021, 03:19 PM
Banned

Let the cull of 2021 begin
👎
Old 08-06-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Why wouldn’t they be?
The ranch’s are all pen raised and released mule deer and Sheep.

Last edited by pikeslayer22; 08-06-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Let the cull of 2021 begin
👎
The beginning of the end.

I wonder if the cull will be in place next year.What are the "target" numbers for deer reduction across the province,or are they taking a "shot" in the dark to see what happens.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
The beginning of the end.

I wonder if the cull will be in place next year.What are the "target" numbers for deer reduction across the province,or are they taking a "shot" in the dark to see what happens.
If you look at some of the mule doe tag #'s given out in specific wmu's this year,they came up with that # of tags from how many people applied in that same wmu in the 2020 hunting draw..if that makes sense...or no sense...lol...I think "Shot in the dark" is an understatement.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
I just checked my Mule deer draw results on the AlbertaRELM App, the results are there. I pulled my buck tag!
Couldn’t see my kids mule deer doe results yet on the AlbertaRELM website, they don’t have the app yet…
What’s afga stance on this?
Because if they support this bs they will never see a dime of mine ever again.
My guess is that they won’t have a opinion about this until after the season is over
Old 08-06-2021, 10:09 PM

mule deer draws are out now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
What’s afga stance on this?
Because if they support this bs they will never see a dime of mine ever again.
My guess is that they won’t have a opinion about this until after the season is over
Call ‘em on Monday and ask, let us know what they say.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:40 PM

Default More info needed

Theres no point getting spun up about increased tag numbers without knowing more. Like, what are the populations at? Have they increased over the past few years? Whats the trend? What percentage of bucks and does are being harvested? It doesn’t make sense to focus on how much is being withdrawn from an account but not know how much capital it holds, what the interest (growth) rate is and who else is making withdrawals.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Theres no point getting spun up about increased tag numbers without knowing more. Like, what are the populations at? Have they increased over the past few years? Whats the trend? What percentage of bucks and does are being harvested? It doesn’t make sense to focus on how much is being withdrawn from an account but not know how much capital it holds, what the interest (growth) rate is and who else is making withdrawals.
For sure the numbers have gotten better the last few years.what I don’t get is if mule deer bucks are the main carrier of the disease why they going after so many does and not near as many buck tags?
Old 08-07-2021, 12:12 AM

Bucks are more susceptible to the effects, but does also carry and contribute to spread. Its about the density of deer overall. More deer, more pathways to transmission and spread. No different than the approach to managing Covid before the vaccines, except we cant manage deer behaviour. So, reduce the number of infected individuals (density) and the opportunities for transmission (rate of spread). The greater the density and rate, the higher the likelihood of mutations and transmission to other species, like moose, elk, caribou and us. This is not a good situation, and the effects will be substantial in time.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Call ‘em on Monday and ask, let us know what they say.
They will probably be too busy supporting trudeaus campaign to take my call
Old 08-07-2021, 12:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Bucks are more susceptible to the effects, but does also carry and contribute to spread. Its about the density of deer overall. More deer, more pathways to transmission and spread. No different than the approach to managing Covid before the vaccines, except we cant manage deer behaviour. So, reduce the number of infected individuals (density) and the opportunities for transmission (rate of spread). The greater the density and rate, the higher the likelihood of mutations and transmission to other species, like moose, elk, caribou and us. This is not a good situation, and the effects will be substantial in time.
The problem is, is that they “believe” there is a increased risk of transmission to livestock or to humans
Even though there is no proof and it hasn’t happened

So, like covid, the increased threat of transmission is justification for a massive deer cull
Old 08-07-2021, 06:13 AM

Quote:
The problem is, is that they “believe” there is a increased risk of transmission to livestock or to humans
Even though there is no proof and it hasn’t happened

So, like covid, the increased threat of transmission is justification for a massive deer cull
It’s about managing risk, based on weight of evidence. Deer populations recover quickly from mortality factors like winter. CWD poses a bigger risk which could manifest in ways not foreseen. I’m betting the cattle industry isn’t happy with seeing deer become increasingly infected with a prion disease on land grazed by both ungulates and bovines.