Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-05-2021, 02:54 PM

Default 2021 Stettler Pheasant Festival

Hey everyone, registration is open for this years Stettler Pheasant Festival. This years date is October 15-17. To register go to www.stettlerpheasantfestival.com. Any questions shoot me a pm and I'll help you out.

Thanks, hope to see you there!
Old 07-06-2021, 02:39 PM

Arto, you should drop some of your sites. Your festival has gotten a bad rep, deservedly so, from some of the land you send hunters into.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2021, 02:58 PM

Good comment. We basically had very very little cover. Having people know how to release helps. Seen a few vehicles release and not many birds stayed in that field. Covered the whole ground and not a feather. Hunted ditches for next few quarters and things looked up lol. Overall good festival and otherwise organized!
Old 07-06-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Arto, you should drop some of your sites. Your festival has gotten a bad rep, deservedly so, from some of the land you send hunters into.

X2
Old 07-06-2021, 08:20 PM

Default I was on the founding committee

Excellent points, I was unsuccessful in making my points. I wanted the hunters to release their own birds.
There will be a new CEO this year so write and make your complaints, also suggestions, remember that they are all volunteers. We don't want to lose any of these festivals.
Hope you can come and all have a good time.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

That has kept me away from this event. I like it when my dog has to work, but he can't find birds that left the field before we arrived, due to a lack of cover.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it! Anymore please send them my way and I will do the best I can. We're always looking for ways to improve what we have and new things we can do.

This year for the Friday night smoker we are doing a whisky tasting, which should be good, but everything else will be the same as past years

Densa, it's pretty much the same core group of us organizing it minus Stacey this year. So those of you that do come will see a new face or two at registration.

As for the land, we have the same battle every year. There's stuff that we love, and stuff we hate and try to replace it every year. Just cause we don't like it doesn't mean others feel the same way. We have about 5 pieces that I myself wouldn't be happy with but they get requested every year by people. We also have some phenomenal land but it's further from town and people don't want to drive more than 10 minutes from town for it.

The releasing, I know we have to make some improvements there as well. Every year there's birds released from tailgates of trucks or pulled out of the crate and thrown in the air and they never set foot on the property they were released on. All the volunteers are told to go to the middle of the property, find cover and tip the crate upside down and to let the birds walk out. Some will get up and fly off the property but there's nothing we can do about it, they're birds.

Densa we can't allow the hunters to release their own birds for several reasons. We've had a crate get shot while the birds were still in it, the crates get taken home by accident or stolen while hunters were out hunting but mainly cause we don't have enough crates to allow everyone to release their own birds. The birds get released and then brought back to us so we can then use it again to release birds the next day. Like you said were run off of volunteers and we struggle to get enough to do what were doing.

Thanks again guy, and if any of you want to shoot me a pm I'll give you my number and we can discuss further. Sorry for the long winded post
Old 07-21-2021, 06:33 PM

Hey guys, also new for this year is that each crate will have 1 melanistic rooster. Harvest your bird and your name will go into a draw
Old 09-13-2021, 09:28 AM

With the festival a month away there are still some spots available but going fast. As of this morning Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning hunts are sold out with Friday afternoon and Saturday morning being nearly sold out as well.

Each crate will have a melanistic rooster in it and if harvested submit a pic of you and the bird in front of the site sign for a chance to to win getting it mounted for free.

The Friday night smoker is a whisky tasting and appetizers. The 6 whiskys are Canadian Club Chronicles Edition #3 which is a 43 year old, Little Book Chapter 2 "Noe Simple Task", Aberfeldy Madeira Cask Finish 21 year old, Craigellachie Single Malt 17 year old, Single Malts of Scotland Bunnahabhain Marriage of Casks 27 year old, and The Glenrothes Soleo Collection 18 year old. Tickets are $75.

Saturday night smoker is the same as usual. Roast beef dinner, with potatoes and salads. There will also be some live and silent auction items, as well as a 50/50, a couple rooster raffles for a chance to win either $500 cash or a full days hunt at next years festival. Tickets are $50.

We also have some merchandise again this year which are black hoodies as well as nice orange hats.

Hope to see some of you guys there
Old 09-15-2021, 01:07 PM

Just an FYI that the hunt for this year is sold out but we still have tickets left for the Friday night whisky tasting and the Saturday night banquet
Old 09-15-2021, 01:37 PM

Hope you guys get great weather, hunters do well, and those shtty parcels of land are not used
Old 09-22-2021, 04:15 PM

Due to the new restrictions the smoker and banquet are cancelled for this year