Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-19-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
doesn't say it's a bow anywhere....wrong again!
Thx Greg......

But it's a Xgun...
Old 06-19-2013, 10:35 AM

Default WestJet: The Final Authority!

Sigh, a crossbow is archery equipment.

At least according to WestJet.

See? They say so, right here.

Quote:
Archery equipment
WestJet will accept one archery set consisting of a bow or crossbow, with a quiver of arrows and a maintenance kit in checked baggage.
So there.

Now, back to the OP: Sure appreciated the writeup that you started the thread with. I've had the pleasure of using some of Excalibur's products and I can say that shooting a crossbow is a lot of fun. Actually, it's how I got my start into using a stick and string.

Myself, I use a compound bow now and really enjoy it and prefer it to a crossbow for what I do, but that's just I can have only one.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Thx Greg......

But it's a Xgun...
Welcome...crossbow
Old 06-19-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Since you didn't want to read it the first time, i'll re post it!

Ohio big game season! ( Whitetail only)

- Muzzleloader season Jan 4 - Jan 7
- Gun season Dec 2 - Dec 8 ( and actually its only shotgun from my understanding)

- Archery season Sept 28 - Feb 2

In the Gun season they have 400,000 hunters for 6 days. Muzzy season is 250,000 hunters for 3 days.

In a state where RIFLES have no season. If rifles didn't have a minimum 1 month season here, perhaps we would be have a different discussion. Ohio also need a boost in recruitment. The Ohio model is no way similar to Alberta

Is that what we want here?
meh if im wrong im wrong! congrats to you, but another member already went over this with you. Everyones wrong a few times and everyones right. To quote, even hitler was right sometimes!

now go pout again.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
meh if im wrong im wrong! congrats to you, but another member already went over this with you. Everyones wrong a few times and everyones right. To quote, even hitler was right sometimes!

now go pout again.
For a guy who acts like he's thinks he knows something about the outdoors, but consistently starts threads asking advice.... it sure is refreshing to see you admit your constantly wrong and dont know what your talking about...

Ps you quoted the wrong post....wrong again jrolly
Old 06-19-2013, 01:12 PM

Lol k potty, you win. I concede. I pay homage to gortex cowboy.

As i said before, many of us enjoy these threads knowing sooner than later it will be a mute point, as xbows will be included. From a business standpoint to general principal it will happen. But hey, your hardcore right? Downtown highrise condo urban hunter right?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
Lol k potty, you win. I concede. I pay homage to gortex cowboy.

As i said before, many of us enjoy these threads knowing sooner than later it will be a mute point, as xbows will be included. From a business standpoint to general principal it will happen. But hey, your hardcore right? Downtown highrise condo urban hunter right?
Wrong again......lol

On both counts....you potty train your dog yet?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:12 PM

I had some free time today so I went out shooting with my crossbow to see how close I could get to the original posters results. I was also shooting off a proper bench rest with my Excalibur exomax which shoots a 418 gr. bolt at a chronied 333 fps one foot in front of the stirrup. I have been shooting a crossbow for several years now and I shoot regularly. I personally won't take a shot past forty yards but on the range why not.

The very best group I could shoot at fifty yards was about four inches and I thought that was pretty good.The OP was doing some amazing shooting because his 100 yard groups were better then my fifty yard groups and I practice a lot. My hat is off to him for being able to shoot so well because that kind of shot is way out of my league for sure. I won't say that kind of shooting is impossible but it is for me and I shoot more often the the average archer does for sure. I do not believe that any first time shooter could shoot three inch groups at 100 yards with a crossbow,I just don't see it.

How practical is taking the scope caps off and dialling the scope up 46 clicks in the field for a hunting shot? Its not practical at all. How many clicks up for say 91 yards or 67 yards? If a compound shooter is skilled enough to make those kind of long shots they will have their sights already set to that or very close to it.

This Xgun stuff is down right offensive.As is calling crossbow hunters unethical,poachers with no hunting skill. We are all hunters and we should be sticking together not fighting over stupid things or trying to stick to personal elitest belief's .More hunters is a good thing for hunting not less.

I think the extreme elitests are far worse for hunting then crossbows ever could be.

Goose smasher
Old 06-19-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose smasher View Post
This Xgun stuff is down right offensive.As is calling crossbow hunters unethical,poachers with no hunting skill. We are all hunters and we should be sticking together not fighting over stupid things or trying to stick to personal elitest belief's .More hunters is a good thing for hunting not less.

I think the extreme elitests are far worse for hunting then crossbows ever could be.

Goose smasher
Dang Goose you brought me back into this thread cause I completely agree with the above
Old 06-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
This summer I'm definitely going to have to try the 100 yd shoot with my Excalibur Exomax to see what results I get. I have it sighted for 30 yds which is a suitable distance for the type of hunting that I do.....in the woods from a treestand. My groupings at 30 yds, prone offhand, are similar to your 100 yd grouping so I'd be interested to see the results.

Quote:
The very best group I could shoot at fifty yards was about four inches and I thought that was pretty good.The OP was doing some amazing shooting because his 100 yard groups were better then my fifty yard groups and I practice a lot. My hat is off to him for being able to shoot so well because that kind of shot is way out of my league for sure. I won't say that kind of shooting is impossible but it is for me and I shoot more often the the average archer does for sure. I do not believe that any first time shooter could shoot three inch groups at 100 yards with a crossbow,I just don't see it.
Agreed........but I'm still going to try the 100 yd grouping just for fun.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I had some free time today so I went out shooting with my crossbow to see how close I could get to the original posters results. I was also shooting off a proper bench rest with my Excalibur exomax which shoots a 418 gr. bolt at a chronied 333 fps one foot in front of the stirrup. I have been shooting a crossbow for several years now and I shoot regularly. I personally won't take a shot past forty yards but on the range why not.

How practical is taking the scope caps off and dialling the scope up 46 c

licks in the field for a hunting shot? Its not practical at all. How many clicks up for say 91 yards or 67 yards? If a compound shooter is skilled enough to make those kind of long shots they will have their sights already set to that or very close to it.

Goose smasher

Maybe you would have more time to practice with your Xgun and improve if you werent juggling multiple accounts on here...

Love your 5/6 posts on Xguns....
Enjoy your trolling...

Last edited by pottymouth; 06-19-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe you would have more time to practice with your Xgun and improve if tou werent juggling multiple accounts on here...
What happened to a 3 year old being able to pick up a crossbow and instantly being able to get good groups? Are you now saying that practice is required in order to become proficient with it? One small step for Potty towards seeing the light.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
What happened to a 3 year old being able to pick up a crossbow and instantly being able to get good groups? Are you now saying that practice is required in order to become proficient with it? One small step for Potty towards seeing the light.
What's the light dave ?

Some people are brutal? That everything in this world needs practice ? Never disagreed with that at all. Some people are naturally good at things, others beyond help.

That I can sight in a xgun at 20 yards, crank back the 150 ibs, attach a bipod, on a table, in a vise, and have a 3 year old shoot 10x's all day!

If she can do it with a .22 , she can do it with a xgun, its just pulling a trigger!

But she can't with a bow, of any poundage.

You think its not possible or I'm wrong? Shooting and proficent two different things.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

That I can sight in a xgun at 20 yards, crank back the 150 ibs, attach a bipod, on a table, in a vise, and have a 3 year old shoot 10x's all day!

All day what about nappies and cookies and barny?
Old 06-19-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

All day what about nappies and cookies and barny?
Exactly
Old 06-19-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Maybe you would have more time to practice with your Xgun and improve if you werent juggling multiple accounts on here...

Love your 5/6 posts on Xguns....
Enjoy your trolling...
I only have one account Potty. I'm a legit new member.Have the mods check my IP address if you like. Its people like you who give hunting a bad name with your extreme ,elitest, my way or the highway attitude. I guess having no life and being an internet hunter gets you all the respect of having 5200 posts on an internet board and new members need not apply. So your saying post count = knowledge,nice job. Lots of guys are full of talk with zero knowledge on these boards,we all know some.I wonder how many people you have chased away from hunting with all your expert opinions? I guess every board has a few members who sit behind their computers all day looking to spread their "knowledge" and jump on anyone who has a different opinion or way of doing things. I guess on this site that would be you. Maybe we should do as you suggested and close all of the firearms seasons? That would surely help hunting right Potty? Less guys hunting would mean better hunting for you right Potty? Your like a greedy five year old who doesn't want to share the sand box. Grow up,guys like you are poison to hunting forums,I'm sure there's many members who wouldn't miss your constant attacks on others or their hunting methods.

I recently joined this forum and I asked a legitimate question that I didn't know the answer to. Many members offered great answers and I thank them for that but you launched into how crossbows are evil and that only poachers and unskilled hunters use them,welcome to the forum indeed. Twice you've discredited me because I'm a new member with a low post count. How many posts did you have when you first joined Potty? Must have been at least a thousand right?

Anti hunting groups will chip away at us a little bit at a time. Maybe they will outlaw crossbows? That would surely make you happy right Potty? But if they do don't go thinking that the crossbow hunters will stick up for your compounds when they come for them next.

You need to show respect to get respect Potty and you are very disrespectful.

Goose smasher
Old 06-19-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
How practical is taking the scope caps off and dialling the scope up 46 clicks in the field for a hunting shot? Its not practical at all. How many clicks up for say 91 yards or 67 yards? If a compound shooter is skilled enough to make those kind of long shots they will have their sights already set to that or very close to it.

Goose smasher
No need to dial the scope, just use a HHA optimizer speed dial. Crossbows are in their infancy as far as research and development go, compound bows seem to be topping out on what they can do. Crossbows will continue to advance so that they are well above any other type of bow in efficiency and accuracy. They have no place in a regular archery season with hand drawn and held bows. Are they a useful tool for hunting? Sure. Do I have any problem with people hunting with one? No, but they should remain in the seasons they are in now or have their own season like we have in Saskatchewan which is a month long season alongside muzzleloaders. I would even consider trying one for hunting but I would have no problem using it in the season it is already legal for.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Goose smasher

" More hunters is a good thing for hunting (not less)."

I agree, as a General rule.

Now let's relate it to the thread....

How does allowing Crossbows into the Archery season turn into "More hunters"?

Are you suggesting that crossbows in the archery season will increase recuitment to the hunting community at large?

Are there people not hunting because crossbows are not allowed in the Archery season?

More people wanting to hunt in the Archery does not always translate into more opportunity. The recent Antlered Mule Deer draw changes are an example where under present hunter management policy increased numbers of participants will REDUCE opportunity for hunters.

Is it easier to shoot yourself in the foot with a bow or a crossbow?
Old 06-19-2013, 05:06 PM

Goose smasher your getting to wound up. What do you care about potties opinion anyway he doesn't take a second thought about anyone else's. If you feel you have to impress him or change his mind your barkin up the wrong tree.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:09 PM

Hope I don’t come across as an elitist too…

I have a trad bow (can’t seem to find the time to master it), I have a compound bow (love it), and I have owned (no longer) an xbow as I wanted to personally test the situation about two and a and a half years ago – is the xbow easier?
My conclusions – Xbow is hands down easier:
- To learn
- To use (minus draw back into the lock – but withany draw tool back to being on par)
- And to hunt with

I spot and stalk for muleys. The year I was skunked during bow season (Sask draw as I live in SK now, used to be in Medicine hat then Sylvan Lake) I had the choice – keep hunting with bow, start carrying a xbow, or start carrying a muzzleloader. I chose to keep going with the compound but got burnt in several situations where I could have easily been successful with the xbow (based on my experience with my xbow). No draw movement combined with the ability to go prone and shoot off the world’s first shooter’s bench (the ground) would have cinched to deal. I know people will always try and say that I cannot be sure but sorry - F that, I was there already having crouched, crawled and crept to great spots but where raising to knees and drawing was the final step. In two cases the animals were within sight but I either had to draw or come to my knees and draw… both situations ended the stalk. With an xbow in the range I had reached – game over.

So here is my take on the debate…
I love the argument that a crossbow is no different than a compound bow is now different than a traditional bow by way of saying …
A bow is a bow is a bow.
It shows how well the person mastered the English language… they can find ‘bow’ in there everywhere!
(see the seahorse vs horse comment for corrective measure)

Also, pages of this debate can be deleted by getting rid of xbows or compounds being compared to rifles. While the numbers can be made to look compelling, it’s not just apples to oranges, it’s apples to Walmart.

In the end I even discount the immediately compelling/humorous argument of:
“If a rifle = a woman
A bow = a man
What would you call something with parts and mannerisms of both?”
While it is funny and does demonstrate differences, it too should not be used to disqualify the xgun (oops ) - xbow from archery season. Instead as stated by both sides of the argument, it needs to be judged as a hunting tool…

So of all of these are hunting tools/weapons which rely on arm power for their ability to be thrown and/or drawn and/or released…… knife, spear, trad bows, compounds, xbows. However, what you will find is a defining line that the majority of the archery community has used for the greater part of a hundred years (if not longer) to classify their tools… the knife and spear are obviously out (unless someone cares to argue this as well), but not the traditional bows or the compound. The difference has always been, that the crossbow is not considered a bow as it has 100% let-off. This is to say that a bow is bent AND HELD by muscle power alone. Crossbows cannot be classified similarly because despite all of the similarities they have that one, inescapable, inherent mechanical advantage.

Interesting that a spear-gun which bears many similarities with the xbow (drawn by arm, locked in place, fired by trigger) has ‘gun’ in its name…

Now someone, will of course, be clever enough to develop or find things like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kXhkD-JK-8
Google: Compound bow Draw loc

But these devices also move compounds out of their spot amongst archery equipment and move it to a ‘cross over’ equipment status… As in it now crosses over the aforementioned defining line. And due to that it is already outlawed nearly everywhere that classifies crossbows separately.

In the end the xbow IS a hunting tool. It is not grouped with ‘archery equipment’ by most – and rightfully so. Notice I said ‘archery equipment’ not archery season; just because a lot of jurisdictions have allowed it in that season does not necessarily mean it becomes archery tackle, despite wording.

And furthermore while some here want to believe that this will change “sooner than later”, this is actually doubtful. The higher percentage of people have always maintained that the xbow is not to be included in the definition of archery equipment and the increase in people who want it to be included has nothing to do with a change in facts but does have everything to do with 1) an increase in marketing and 2) better marketing along with 3) the continually stable human greed – not greed by the archery community but by those wanting the perceived benefits of the archery season.

As far as those in the archery season with archery tackle trying to horde animals to bowhunters – nope. My concern is herd management. And more often than not you will always find the squeaky wheel that wants to use their xbow in archery season has no real answers to increased activity in the early season. They will throw up all kinds of numbers and reassurances that all will be well, but when you peel it back more and more you will find the result to be decreased season length and/or increased draws which either limit the success rate by limiting time or by limiting the hunter inclusion rate respectively.

But they will be happy because even though this PO’s 10,000 other hunters they had made 2,000 crossbow hunters happy…?
Old 06-19-2013, 05:15 PM

I think that if crossbows were legal in all seasons you would see more hunters get into the sport. Yes this could mean limited draws for tags but more hunters would go afield in my opinion. The last two replies were the type of replies most people like to see on message boards. Good answers with opinions expressed but not negative and nasty. I live in Ontario until I move to Alberta and crossbows are fully legal here and have been for many many years.I really don't see any negative affects of using them during and regular archery season. I would never say a compound is easier to master but I wouldn't say the crossbow takes no skill to use either. In Ontario we can choose between traditional bows,compounds or crossbows and its really not a big deal here.I'm certainly not trying to pick a fight with anyone,I'm just saying what my experience has been. I respect any hunters choice to use whichever legal weapon they choose to hunt with. If it's legal then its fine with me even if its not the way I would choose to do it.

Goose smasher
Old 06-19-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3mhunter View Post
Hope I don’t come across as an elitist too…

I have a trad bow (can’t seem to find the time to master it), I have a compound bow (love it), and I have owned (no longer) an xbow as I wanted to personally test the situation about two and a and a half years ago – is the xbow easier?
My conclusions – Xbow is hands down easier:
- To learn
- To use (minus draw back into the lock – but withany draw tool back to being on par)
- And to hunt with

I spot and stalk for muleys. The year I was skunked during bow season (Sask draw as I live in SK now, used to be in Medicine hat then Sylvan Lake) I had the choice – keep hunting with bow, start carrying a xbow, or start carrying a muzzleloader. I chose to keep going with the compound but got burnt in several situations where I could have easily been successful with the xbow (based on my experience with my xbow). No draw movement combined with the ability to go prone and shoot off the world’s first shooter’s bench (the ground) would have cinched to deal. I know people will always try and say that I cannot be sure but sorry - F that, I was there already having crouched, crawled and crept to great spots but where raising to knees and drawing was the final step. In two cases the animals were within sight but I either had to draw or come to my knees and draw… both situations ended the stalk. With an xbow in the range I had reached – game over.

So here is my take on the debate…
I love the argument that a crossbow is no different than a compound bow is now different than a traditional bow by way of saying …
A bow is a bow is a bow.
It shows how well the person mastered the English language… they can find ‘bow’ in there everywhere!
(see the seahorse vs horse comment for corrective measure)

Also, pages of this debate can be deleted by getting rid of xbows or compounds being compared to rifles. While the numbers can be made to look compelling, it’s not just apples to oranges, it’s apples to Walmart.

In the end I even discount the immediately compelling/humorous argument of:
“If a rifle = a woman
A bow = a man
What would you call something with parts and mannerisms of both?”
While it is funny and does demonstrate differences, it too should not be used to disqualify the xgun (oops ) - xbow from archery season. Instead as stated by both sides of the argument, it needs to be judged as a hunting tool…

So of all of these are hunting tools/weapons which rely on arm power for their ability to be thrown and/or drawn and/or released…… knife, spear, trad bows, compounds, xbows. However, what you will find is a defining line that the majority of the archery community has used for the greater part of a hundred years (if not longer) to classify their tools… the knife and spear are obviously out (unless someone cares to argue this as well), but not the traditional bows or the compound. The difference has always been, that the crossbow is not considered a bow as it has 100% let-off. This is to say that a bow is bent AND HELD by muscle power alone. Crossbows cannot be classified similarly because despite all of the similarities they have that one, inescapable, inherent mechanical advantage.

Interesting that a spear-gun which bears many similarities with the xbow (drawn by arm, locked in place, fired by trigger) has ‘gun’ in its name…

Now someone, will of course, be clever enough to develop or find things like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kXhkD-JK-8
Google: Compound bow Draw loc

But these devices also move compounds out of their spot amongst archery equipment and move it to a ‘cross over’ equipment status… As in it now crosses over the aforementioned defining line. And due to that it is already outlawed nearly everywhere that classifies crossbows separately.

In the end the xbow IS a hunting tool. It is not grouped with ‘archery equipment’ by most – and rightfully so. Notice I said ‘archery equipment’ not archery season; just because a lot of jurisdictions have allowed it in that season does not necessarily mean it becomes archery tackle, despite wording.

And furthermore while some here want to believe that this will change “sooner than later”, this is actually doubtful. The higher percentage of people have always maintained that the xbow is not to be included in the definition of archery equipment and the increase in people who want it to be included has nothing to do with a change in facts but does have everything to do with 1) an increase in marketing and 2) better marketing along with 3) the continually stable human greed – not greed by the archery community but by those wanting the perceived benefits of the archery season.

As far as those in the archery season with archery tackle trying to horde animals to bowhunters – nope. My concern is herd management. And more often than not you will always find the squeaky wheel that wants to use their xbow in archery season has no real answers to increased activity in the early season. They will throw up all kinds of numbers and reassurances that all will be well, but when you peel it back more and more you will find the result to be decreased season length and/or increased draws which either limit the success rate by limiting time or by limiting the hunter inclusion rate respectively.

But they will be happy because even though this PO’s 10,000 other hunters they had made 2,000 crossbow hunters happy…?
Great post...

I'll say it again, I have no problems with xguns, I just don't believe they belong in the archery season. And for sure not in the bow zones!

And again, I do believe that xguns and muzzle loaders , should have a season of their own.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I think that if crossbows were legal in all seasons you would see more hunters get into the sport. Yes this could mean limited draws for tags but more hunters would go afield in my opinion. The last two replies were the type of replies most people like to see on message boards. Good answers with opinions expressed but not negative and nasty. I live in Ontario until I move to Alberta and crossbows are fully legal here and have been for many many years.I really don't see any negative affects of using them during and regular archery season. I would never say a compound is easier to master but I wouldn't say the crossbow takes no skill to use either. In Ontario we can choose between traditional bows,compounds or crossbows and its really not a big deal here.I'm certainly not trying to pick a fight with anyone,I'm just saying what my experience has been. I respect any hunters choice to use whichever legal weapon they choose to hunt with. If it's legal then its fine with me even if its not the way I would choose to do it.

Goose smasher
As far as your other post....I don't have to justify myself to you.... But ill touch on it...The numerous new hunters I've brought into archery, the countless first deer I've seen. The opportunity to hunt beside me in some of the most sought after permission around.... I can guarantee I've done more than most.

Computer hunter...lol.... Look me up! Don't get to upset at the small sample you may find on the net...

This one topic, that I'm passionate about, and willing to fight for on all levels. Xguns don't belong in the alberta archery seasons and bow zones.

Now...

Explain how you believe xguns will increase hunter recruitment?

And don't confuse it with a number swing in weapon categories..... (Check some of my previous posts)

111,000 licensed hunters in alberta, 16,000 licensed bow hunters...

Explain?

Last edited by pottymouth; 06-19-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:57 PM

Crossbows will give new hunters another option on which weapons to choose to hunt with. Many will give them up in favour of a compound due to the compounds many advantages over a crossbow.By your numbers less then 15% of Alberta's hunters are archery hunters. I think allowing crossbows in all seasons would raise that number even if it meant a lottery tag draw system. If more then 85% don't archery hunt maybe they should close the early archery season and open the firearms seasons then? I hope that never happens but if you want to keep the majority happy this would do it. I have no agenda as far as crossbows go Potty but you are the one constantly putting them down and insulting their users. Including crossbow in the archery seasons would increase the percentage of archery hunters in Alberta and it would have no effect on game populations.

Goose smasher
Old 06-19-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb View Post
no need to dial the scope, just use a hha optimizer speed dial. Crossbows are in their infancy as far as research and development go, compound bows seem to be topping out on what they can do. Crossbows will continue to advance so that they are well above any other type of bow in efficiency and accuracy. They have no place in a regular archery season with hand drawn and held bows. Are they a useful tool for hunting? Sure. Do i have any problem with people hunting with one? No, but they should remain in the seasons they are in now or have their own season like we have in saskatchewan which is a month long season alongside muzzleloaders. I would even consider trying one for hunting but i would have no problem using it in the season it is already legal for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3mhunter View Post
so of all of these are hunting tools/weapons which rely on arm power for their ability to be thrown and/or drawn and/or released…… knife, spear, trad bows, compounds, xbows. However, what you will find is a defining line that the majority of the archery community has used for the greater part of a hundred years (if not longer) to classify their tools… the knife and spear are obviously out (unless someone cares to argue this as well), but not the traditional bows or the compound. The difference has always been, that the crossbow is not considered a bow as it has 100% let-off. This is to say that a bow is bent and held by muscle power alone. Crossbows cannot be classified similarly because despite all of the similarities they have that one, inescapable, inherent mechanical advantage.
My feelings exactly - well put... Thanks
Old 06-19-2013, 06:15 PM

Not sure if I am doing this right. First post here ever. This discussion fascinates me. I have a question for anyone or everyone for that matter. Does anyone here know a hunter that has a crossbow licence? Not the friend of a friend or a cousin of a friends sister's mother in law, but actually know someone personally? What did they have to go through to get it and why? and I guess while we are at it what would your reaction be to meeting up with someone in the woods with crossbow in hand?
Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Banned

Bowhunting is great, one of the best and most rewarding ways to hunt, having a bow included that can fit all size/strength etc. is a good thing, bit more options bit more opportunity, nothing more. The positive far outweighs the negative.

Don't penalize the tool and the hunters of Alberta just because the managers already having a tough enough time getting it right. The tool fits, period.

Yes, I was told the other day, barrier to entry, making it more difficult to participate etc. Certainly helps club exclusivity. And sure seems that a lot want to keep it that way. Right thing? No...right answer for Alberta right now? Maybe. But I bet it stays out because not enough resources to assimilate it properly, the managers have nuff problems and this just one more headache they don't need right now...they already having enough issue with putting so much on draw already by the compound users. Or should i say poor management that penalizes hunters first etc. Is it right? No. I hope it comes some day....along with better management at same time.

U want to increase club exclusivity and opportunity then kick the compounds out....Shouldnt need those draws then...fire the compound into the general with it's like cousin and away we go...the good ole days can return!

Wherever the compound lives the crossbow should live with it.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocked View Post
Not sure if I am doing this right. First post here ever. This discussion fascinates me. I have a question for anyone or everyone for that matter. Does anyone here know a hunter that has a crossbow licence? Not the friend of a friend or a cousin of a friends sister's mother in law, but actually know someone personally? What did they have to go through to get it and why? and I guess while we are at it what would your reaction be to meeting up with someone in the woods with crossbow in hand?
Welcome Nocked.

I can't answer the first of your questions, I'm not handicapped enough to get a crossBOW permit, but I can't use my recurve anymore either due to a nagging elbow condition.

I can tell you the reaction I got when I first used my crossBOW in Alberta. It was extremely negative, which was shocking to me as I came out of Ontario where they are accepted side by side with other forms of BOWS. Being an ethical, play by the rules, guy, I was greatly upset at being called a lazy poacher and who was threatened with a beating and breaking my crossBOW to bits (musta been some of Potty's friends). I haven't taken the crossBOW out hunting since, especially since I generally hunt alone and don't want to become a statistic.

Fortunately up here I can use my firearms for three months anyway .
Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Welcome Nocked.

I can't answer the first of your questions, I'm not handicapped enough to get a crossBOW permit, but I can't use my recurve anymore either due to a nagging elbow condition.

I can tell you the reaction I got when I first used my crossBOW in Alberta. It was extremely negative, which was shocking to me as I came out of Ontario where they are accepted side by side with other forms of BOWS. Being an ethical, play by the rules, guy, I was greatly upset at being called a lazy poacher and who was threatened with a beating and breaking my crossBOW to bits (musta been some of Potty's friends). I haven't taken the crossBOW out hunting since, especially since I generally hunt alone and don't want to become a statistic.

Fortunately up here I can use my firearms for three months anyway .
Nope! My friends don't make threats, or give warnings. ..lol

Last edited by pottymouth; 06-19-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocked View Post
Yes....a friend of mine is in a wheelchair and has limited use of his hands, he has a permit to use a x-bow during archery season.

His brother takes him and gets him all set up in a ground blind.

LC