Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-18-2011, 02:40 PM

There are guys that can do anything. I know guys that only want to hunt with throwing knives and spears. i know archers that can hit 80yrds consitantly but never take a shot that far during hunting season. Are you sure that 117yrd shot wasnt done with a cross bow? I find it pretty hard to imagine the angle a person would have to aim at to get the arrow to go 117yards. I find it not only tough to imagine aiming a bow at that distance ut being accurate? sorry, if that shot was made, (which i seriously doubt) with a compound bow? I dont see it happening. I dont believe it for a second. cross bow yes. easily. a compound bow... no f-ing way. not at 117 yards.
I have seen antelope dropped at 70-80 yards with a compound bow. but adding another 37 yards to hit a white tail? i need to see that in person before i believe a farce like that.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme hunter10 View Post
There are guys that can do anything. I know guys that only want to hunt with throwing knives and spears. i know archers that can hit 80yrds consitantly but never take a shot that far during hunting season. Are you sure that 117yrd shot wasnt done with a cross bow? I find it pretty hard to imagine the angle a person would have to aim at to get the arrow to go 117yards. I find it not only tough to imagine aiming a bow at that distance ut being accurate? sorry, if that shot was made, (which i seriously doubt) with a compound bow? I dont see it happening. I dont believe it for a second. cross bow yes. easily. a compound bow... no f-ing way. not at 117 yards.
I have seen antelope dropped at 70-80 yards with a compound bow. but adding another 37 yards to hit a white tail? i need to see that in person before i believe a farce like that.
Ya you're right.....its impossible....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03y2BarHcUs

There are SEVERAL people who have kills at over 100 yards with a compound. A guy only needs to spend a little time online to see videos, threads, etc, etc where guys have done it.

Do I agree with it? Doesnt really matter! Is it 'a farce', nope....hard to imagine? Maybe...
Old 09-18-2011, 02:55 PM

My crossbow loses energy much faster than my compound......
Old 09-18-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post

There are SEVERAL people who have kills at over 100 yards with a compound. A guy only needs to spend a little time online to see videos, threads, etc, etc where guys have done it.

Do I agree with it? Doesnt really matter! Is it 'a farce', nope....hard to imagine? Maybe...
i dont believe it at all. Just cause there is a you tube video on it, doesnt mean its true either. Dont you watch mythbusters? how many you tube videos did they conclude were hoaxes. Just because someone says something doesnt make it true. thats the length if commonwealth stadium field. ya, i want to see someone put up a deer target at the end of one end zone and see someone shoot it from the other end zone. When I can see someone do that, then I'll believe it can be done otherwise ya, its a farce.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:

I just watched that video and laughed my ass off! he was shooting from an elevated postion and using gravity to get his arrow there. that would be like shooting an arrow from the moon and hitting earth! lmao. ya, when you manipulate the circumstances anything is possible lmao. ya, still wsnt to see him do it from end zone to end zone standing on the field. lol. if i shoot from the top of a mountain i can hit the ground below with an arrow lmao! ya, real tough doing it that way. omg. its a joke.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:48 PM

My preferred shot is 40-45 yards. Yes I can get closer but at this range the animal isnt as apt to jump at the shot or stand there and look at you. I've had better hits on these longer ranges than most of the closer ones.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
This post somes it up pretty well.......

This OP does not know jack about bow hunting at all or anything to do about archery gear.....

Trust me 100yard shots are VERY doable......
Crossbows are way more range restricting than a compound bow.A compound bow takes years and thousands upon thosands of arrows down range to be able to even try a 60+ yard shot....
Do a lot more research before comeing on hear spouting BS...
Old 09-18-2011, 06:10 PM

I dont want to see anymore elevated " law of physics shooting." show me someone standing on a flat surface with the target on the same surface plane level with the shooter then i will believe it. otherwise dont bother posting elevated shooting. it wastes your time and mine.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Banned

Extreme, take a look a t the first video
Would you like some salt with that crow?
Btw, 100 yards is just a wArm up

Jamie
Old 09-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Banned

Extreme, how long do we all have to wait for a big old "I was wrong"?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTK View Post
Its OK to shoot 1000yrds with a rifle but 80 yrds with a bow is unethical?
The big issue here is the person making the shot.
What one considers "ethical" is not what another considers "ethical"
This term is theown around like popcorn these days.
i was once called unethical by a cmpound shooter because I did not shoot from a tree stand and practised hard shoots under trees , etc.
he said it was unethical because there was too much chamce of missing - that is precisely why I practised them!!

Time of flight s long, and deer can move a great distance at that range, so everything has to be perfect.

Cat
Old 09-18-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Extreme, how long do we all have to wait for a big old "I was wrong"?
If you believe that i got a bridge i wanna sell you. I can make a video of me shooting an arrow from 500yrds and hitting the target. just cause its on you tube doesnt make it true. If you can do it come to a gun range
and show me. Unless i see it in person I will
never believe it. 75-80 yards I have seen it with my own eyes, I have seen archers take antelope down. I have never seen anyone shoot an arrow from 100 yards on even ground and hit the target 9/10 times. If you know someone who can do it, let me know what range he is gonna be at and I will come and video tape it and witness it. Other wise just stop with the you tube videos. just cause its on you tube doesnt make them real.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
If you know someone who can do it, let me know what range he is gonna be at and I will come and video tape it and witness it. Other wise just stop with the you tube videos. just cause its on you tube doesnt make them real.
No one would let ya video it, god knows you cant trust video!!!

Wow....sometimes it surprises me how ignorant some people really are....truly ignorant.....
Old 09-18-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
No one would let ya video it, god knows you cant trust video!!!

Wow....sometimes it surprises me how ignorant some people really are....truly ignorant.....
or in this case gullable. If i posted a video of myself shooting an arrow 500yrds from a compound bow would u believe it?

Old 09-18-2011, 08:26 PM

Not now I wouldnt....but I'd probably at least be able to make a logical assumption that if you posted countless videos that its probably at least 'probable'....

Hell one of the links is from a national television show....lol

The earth is round too, ya know....
Old 09-18-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Not now I wouldnt....but I'd probably at least be able to make a logical assumption that if you posted countless videos that its probably at least 'probable'....

Hell one of the links is from a national television show....lol

The earth is round too, ya know....
ya, exactly my point. you need to watch mythbusters my friend. not everything you see on tv or the web is real.

If you know someone who can shoot an arrow and hit the target at 100 yards 9/10 times prove it. I should say 120 yards would be preferable

Old 09-18-2011, 08:32 PM

"the earth is round,too....."

WHAT !! When did they come up wit h that little gem.....
Old 09-18-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhunter View Post
As your rant started, I agree with you 100%. Not much of a guide for sure. Everyones abililties are of course different, but ethically a deer only would have to turn a bit to have a heart shot turn into an a??shot. Bow hunting is a challenge of your skill against the animals, not Best of the West. I feel that long range shooting is a joke also! Anyone can pull a trigger but get some of those guys 500 yds. closer and you may have accomplished something. My son just arrowed a good buck at 3 yards, now I think that took some skill and also a bit of luck. Just my opinion!
And it was definitely much more memorable being that it wasnt a long shot, seeing an animal blink and breathe right before you release... thats a rush! Thats what hunting is all about, working hard, getting the old heart pumping and always being rewarded by the memories and sometimes with a trophy! Thanks again for the hunt dad!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
ya, exactly my point. you need to watch mythbusters my friend. not everything you see on tv or the web is real.

If you know someone who can shoot an arrow and hit the target at 100 yards 9/10 times prove it. I should say 120 yards would be preferable
I know several people who can do it....but I also know several people who can do 50 pushups in a row, who can dunk a basketball, shoot rifles at 1000 yards, and who can do various other things that dont need to be proven to specific people to convince them that its possible.

Sorry dude....but I'm guessing you believe that the Twin Towers are still standing too eh? Or at least you'll think it until you see it with your own eyes right??

Some guys are too funny. I dont support long-range shooting in bowhunting, but I sure as hell think its funny that guys seriously are that close minded to believe that its not possible....
Old 09-18-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I know several people who can do it....but I also know several people who can do 50 pushups in a row, who can dunk a basketball, shoot rifles at 1000 yards, and who can do various other things that dont need to be proven to specific people to convince them that its possible.

Sorry dude....but I'm guessing you believe that the Twin Towers are still standing too eh? Or at least you'll think it until you see it with your own eyes right??

Some guys are too funny. I dont support long-range shooting in bowhunting, but I sure as hell think its funny that guys seriously are that close minded to believe that its not possible....
I find it far fetched at someone took a deer down at 117 yards. I dont believe it. its that simple. You also said that if i posted vids on you tube of me shooting an arrow at 500 yrds you would believe that even though we both no it would be a trick shot. so how can u throw up videos from you tube and claim it to be true? maybe intriguing but it doesnt prove anything other than its a video. you probably see big foot videos on you tube and think big foot is out there too. Well it must be true cause there are numerous ones on you tube if we use your logic. there is no point in trying to prove it to me unless you and one of your buddies wants to go to the range and prove it. Until then I will still believe thats improbable.

why did u bring up the twin towers? seriously do you have no respect for the men and women that died that day dear god man. you wanna call me an idiot for not believing an 117 yrd bow and arrow kill thats fine but have some respect for other people. How do you know I didnt have family that died that day? wow....

Old 09-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Gone Hunting

I can pin cusion a standard target at 100 yards 10 out of 10. When I say pin cusion, I mean it, but they are all on. Sure guys can do it, even with accuracy, and alot farther too,,, but the point is HUNTING SCENARIO shots,,, not controlled target scenario boys. There is a vast difference. Unfortunately some hunters apparently are not able to draw the line and differentiate between the two. Pretty sad stuff...

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 09-18-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.C View Post
This post somes it up pretty well.......

Crossbows are way more range restricting than a compound bow.A compound bow takes years and thousands upon thosands of arrows down range to be able to even try a 60+ yard shot....
Do a lot more research before comeing on hear spouting BS...
have you looked at the review Len Backus of long range hunting wrote on the PSE Tac15 crossbow. he states this crossbow is a legitimate 100 yard tool in the right hands.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 PM

xtreme hunter10 - You need to be introduced to competitive archery. I know of at least three guys that can group well enough to hit a deer at over 100 yards, I don't think any one of the three would actually take a shot that far as they are not that kind of guy, but I am sure they could. One of them is my hunting partner. I have seen their groups at 90m at a few shoots, a little over one yard short of 100 yards, and they would shoot a sub-6" group at that distance. I can see the disconnect between competitive target archery and hunting, the same as it is with rifles.

This guy lives just down the road from me, and he would make it four guys that can do it. He is a very nice guy, I am sure if you stopped at his shop he could introduce you to the world of target archery.
http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/...2-946b5c1d57fb
Old 09-18-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I find it far fetched at someone took a deer down at 117 yards. I dont believe it. its that simple. You also said that if i posted vids on you tube of me shooting an arrow at 500 yrds you would believe that even though we both no it would be a trick shot. so how can u throw up videos from you tube and claim it to be true? maybe intriguing but it doesnt prove anything other than its a video. you probably see big foot videos on you tube and think big foot is out there too. Well it must be true cause there are numerous ones on you tube if we use your logic. there is no point in trying to prove it to me unless you and one of your buddies wants to go to the range and prove it. Until then I will still believe thats improbable.

why did u bring up the twin towers? seriously do you have no respect for the men and women that died that day dear god man. you wanna call me an idiot for not believing an 117 yrd bow and arrow kill thats fine but have some respect for other people. How do you know I didnt have family that died that day? wow....
Hahaha....oh god buddy. There is no end to how deep you would go to prove your ignorance. I'm done with this one man.

You're right. The guy that you saw shoot at 80 yards is the best archer in the world, and shot the furthest shot in archery history that day. No one has done it further because you didnt see it with your own eyes....

Packhuntr summed it up nicely. Other than that, I'm done debating whether something is real of fiction because you think that anything on TV is fake....
Old 09-18-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Hahaha....oh god buddy. There is no end to how deep you would go to prove your ignorance. I'm done with this one man.

You're right. The guy that you saw shoot at 80 yards is the best archer in the world, and shot the furthest shot in archery history that day. No one has done it further because you didnt see it with your own eyes....

Packhuntr summed it up nicely. Other than that, I'm done debating whether something is real of fiction because you think that anything on TV is fake....
Once you grow up and get some ethics you can come back and review this thread and say "gosh I was such an *****"
Old 09-18-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisebuck View Post
Once you grow up and get some ethics you can come back and review this thread and say "gosh I was such an *****"
Some ethics? Please explain....

I've already stated I'm not a supporter of long-range archery shooting. In fact, I dont even own a bow!!!

But I DO beleive that people can shoot compound bows at well over 100 yards. Thats just simple physics!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:39 PM

Default Who'd of thunk...

I go rant rant. It turns into a tinfoil hat fencing tourney.

Let's stick to hunting shots, not target stuff.
I've been out to shoots at Cranbrook and I've seen what people can do to stationary targets.....
.. Never blood trailed a target in all my years..
I'm a little sensitive to the yahoo shooters b/c I've lost access two territories that some doofuses screwed by doing what I suspect were long bomb shots that paunched a deer. Landowner decided we all had to go.

That YouTube stuff annoys me b/c it emboldens the last minute archers to have a gO way beyond their abilities.

Let's get back on track... No one here seriously would take a 70+ shot...
..... Seriously????!!!! With all the obvious variables.... No way!

Don't troll me on this either !
Old 09-18-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Some ethics? Please explain....

I've already stated I'm not a supporter of long-range archery shooting. In fact, I dont even own a bow!!!

But I DO beleive that people can shoot compound bows at well over 100 yards. Thats just simple physics!!!
Any one with ethics would not advocate the shooting of any game at distances that you believe are comfortable.
Outdoor Obsesion lost any creditation with me and those I hunt with when they shot that elk last year at over 100yds.
It is up to all of us to portray hunting as ethical and humane, and shooting at game over these extreme ranges laughs in the face of ethics!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:47 PM

It would take some time to sight your bow into 70, 80, 90, 100 yards, but its no different than 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 that most hunters will have on a sight. By moving your sight way down and setting your pins you could hit a target. The tough part for most shooters who do not pull a bow back everyday and practice all the time is making these shots consistantly. To say it could never happen is crazy.