Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2021, 10:58 PM

Default An Alaska grizzly encounter. Yikes!

Saw this posted today but it happened on July 16th in Alaska. Turns out his pistol wasn't enough protection. Luckily he lives to tell the story.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8051769/a..._UhBPpI-iHbPnE
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-23-2021, 04:49 AM

A good lever 45/70 is what i would carry in that situation
Old 07-23-2021, 05:28 AM

That's quite the story, the stuff of nightmares for sure.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:48 AM

The Coast Guard officers spotted a “HELP ME” message scrawled on the roof of the man’s small mining shack on July 16, in a chance helicopter flyover during an unrelated mission.

Incredibly lucky man.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-23-2021, 08:18 AM

Good thing this didn't happen in Canada where carrying a handgun for self protect is mostly illegal (miners can sometimes get a permit).
Wonder what caliber gun he had?
Old 07-23-2021, 08:41 AM

I read that story last night. Crazy situation considering he was initially drug by the bear down to the river, I’m only speculating that his sidearm was used to buy him some time to get back to the cabin….
Old 07-23-2021, 09:36 AM

Sounds alot like that movie,,NIGHT OF THE GRIZZLY,,very lucky to be alive.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:10 AM

The stars were with him for his recue! Better than nothing, a pistol is easy to carry and almost useless...
Old 07-23-2021, 10:21 AM
Banned

A handgun is not useless but shot placement is and in this case, only a head shot will suffice.....difficult to do if the bear was charging......of course a handgun of calibre is needed but who up there would pack a .22..??
Old 07-23-2021, 10:51 AM

I am reading someone wasn't very effective with a handgun.

Bears are not made of something that bullets don't kill. Especially in a situation where he didn't need to kill it immediately.

If the bear came back several times over several nights. He should have been able to land a fatal shot in one of these interactions even with an under powered handgun.

I cant understand someone going into a environment like this without having a some understanding of the risks and planning to have adequate resources to mitigate them. But then again i don't understand a whole bunch of what i see and hear these days.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:44 AM

Yeah I'm not sure how over several days, armed with a pistol, he wasn't able to kill that damn bear. Even if he had a .22 caliber pistol, unload on center mass and the bear will bleed out eventually, especially over several days. Bears aren't bullet proof, they just won't die quickly with an inadequate caliber. There must have been some other circumstances we don't know about.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:28 PM

Wow. people utterly certain what they would do in a life or death situation have never been in one. How old are you guys? Do you get out?

One has to assume there were multiple encounters that went poorly

Bear breaks in and drags you down to the river. You get away and have nothing taller than a bear to get on, surrounded by scrub and the only shelter the bear already tore the door off of and acted bullet proof and is lurking around the perimeter.
I would have punched it harder than I would ever punch a man.... Then Shat my pants and got in his belly.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:59 PM

Sue Aikens went through a wild encounter. I'd say she was darn foruntate.....

https://www.radiotimes.com/travel/me...l-bear-attack/

You have to accept cookies, but the article is worth the read.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENINC View Post
Yeah I'm not sure how over several days, armed with a pistol, he wasn't able to kill that damn bear. Even if he had a .22 caliber pistol, unload on center mass and the bear will bleed out eventually, especially over several days. Bears aren't bullet proof, they just won't die quickly with an inadequate caliber. There must have been some other circumstances we don't know about.
In a life and death situation where you are being predated on by a bear, bleeding out “eventually” is not an acceptable option. Sure if you shoot a griz in the flank it may die but that could take weeks or months. I have pursued multiple bears hit multiple times with the following rounds 9mm 44mag 45 colt 10mm and I can tell you unless you by chance or skill get a vital hit where you hit the spine or atlas or take out an artery, the blood trail dries up quick as fat plugs the hole or the blood coagulates.

I would be curious what pistol caliber the guy was using and his level of competence with it. As for the rest, I wasn’t there don’t know the guy and haven’t seen all the facts so I can’t comment on what should/shouldn’t have been done or why he did/didn’t do something etc….
Old 07-23-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
Wow. people utterly certain what they would do in a life or death situation have never been in one. How old are you guys? Do you get out?

One has to assume there were multiple encounters that went poorly

Bear breaks in and drags you down to the river. You get away and have nothing taller than a bear to get on, surrounded by scrub and the only shelter the bear already tore the door off of and acted bullet proof and is lurking around the perimeter.
I would have punched it harder than I would ever punch a man.... Then Shat my pants and got in his belly.

Yep. One only needs to ask your sister right?
Old 07-24-2021, 09:52 AM

Largest grizz ever shot in Alberta (B &C) was shoot by little lady from Slave Lake with rabbit gun with 22 longs. However some hunter knowledge would be required in the Guy in Alaska to get job done.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:15 AM

Default Better story

More believable story.

http://www.nomenugget.com/news/coast...talked-grizzly
Old 07-25-2021, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
Its almost like the media embellished the story......
Old 07-25-2021, 10:15 PM

The globalnews story was the first draft they sent to the history channel to be made into one of those 60 minute documentaries with 43 minutes of comercials and 27 cliffhanger segways in and out of each commercial block.

I can hear the dramatic music and the deep worried voice of the narrator in my head “death hung in the air as the seconds turned into sleepless fear filled hours!!!

he had only one bullet left. Should he save it for the next invasion or use it to end his own misery. ….. stay tuned!!!
Old 07-25-2021, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
The globalnews story was the first draft they sent to the history channel to be made into one of those 60 minute documentaries with 43 minutes of comercials and 27 cliffhanger segways in and out of each commercial block.

I can hear the dramatic music and the deep worried voice of the narrator in my head “death hung in the air as the seconds turned into sleepless fear filled hours!!!

he had only one bullet left. Should he save it for the next invasion or use it to end his own misery. ….. stay tuned!!!
I wonder if dicaprio will play the lead role
Old 07-26-2021, 10:13 AM

If banning firearms and bear spray "saves just one life"
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:09 PM

On the radio they were saying this was faked. Guy crashed his quad and was too embarrassed to tell his mates so came up with the bear story. No bear tracks were found and the scratch marks on the shack were done with a screwdriver
Old 07-29-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannas View Post
On the radio they were saying this was faked. Guy crashed his quad and was too embarrassed to tell his mates so came up with the bear story. No bear tracks were found and the scratch marks on the shack were done with a screwdriver
Even better. Now it’s a shoe in for a History channel Minnie series
Old 07-30-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannas View Post
What did the guy look like when the helicopter arrived? Minor cuts and bruises? Every grizzly survivor I've ever seen footage of had enough damage to probably wish they were dead.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:09 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...MWi?li=AAggFp4
Old 07-31-2021, 12:46 PM

This is what happens when you run out of meth alone in a mining camp by yourself.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
What did the guy look like when the helicopter arrived? Minor cuts and bruises? Every grizzly survivor I've ever seen footage of had enough damage to probably wish they were dead.
Most of the people I’ve talked to on griz encounters faired much better than most would expect. Few scratches and bites but nothing too serious. Of course I’ve also had some die from their injuries so it’s all over the board.