Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-25-2021, 08:08 PM

My hunting style/strategy has not changed in 30 years. Yes, there were several years of tag soup but all in all, it's a way to get out of dodge dropping all the daily grind of work without cell phones. It has also taken me numerous years to understand the lay of the land pattering animal movement. However, a lot of miles have been spent burning out footwear to get this done to consistently harvest an animal. Previously I was an avid migratory hunter with a whitetail tag in my pocket. Now I exclusively hunt big game and upland while continuing to burn out the footwear. Now that the majority of zones in Alberta have removed the use of OHVs before noon. It will be interesting to see how this will affect the movement of the game. I may have to readjust and potentially start over going deeper in the bush or revert to migratory. Everything old is new again.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:03 PM

My hunting really hasn’t changed in over 40 years of hunting. What has changed is the number of animals being shot. I shot way more animals in my first 20 years of hunting than in the last 20 years. This is mainly because of the draws. I can remember shooting a moose almost every year on a general license or low priority draw. Now, it is the long wait times for draws that restrict me from being able to hunt like I used to.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Gracefully....no rush....no issues....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-26-2021, 12:19 PM

Hasn’t changed much either. But in the last few years, it’s been less about me and more about getting others to join the sport. I’ve upset many significant others by taking out their significant others hunting! From beavers in the spring, to gophers, waterfowl, deer, moose, elk and coyotes in the winter. Even wing shooting pigeons at the farm yard. The more we as hunters get others to enjoy the sport, the better off we’re gonna be.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:50 PM

45 years ago I used to be a killer of everything I could legally hunt. That didn't last long and in my 20's it was trophy hunting, 40 years later it still is trophy hunting...well it's just one of the excuses I use for never shooting anything. Excuses like it's too far from the road, it's on the road and that's not fair, It's too far away, even though it's a cinch shot at 200 yds or it's too close to the end of the day. Then there's the "I don't want to get my hands dirty" or "I'm too tired" excuse, The "I don't care for game meat" excuse, The "taxidermy would cost too much" excuse and just about any other excuse I can come up with for not shooting anything.

It really comes down to I just like to wander around in the woods with a rifle for old time sakes and shooting something is a pain in the ass.

Then again maybe one of these years I just might shoot something.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:35 PM

Default changes

I used to walk miles for big game and shoot them in some of the ugliest places! First, just to fill the tag and put meat in the freezer, and later just to show I could still do it. Bird hunting was just sitting in a blind and waiting.
Lately, I walk much less for big game, only shooting where it is easy to retrieve (This means only having to make two trips to the truck in one day, instead of six loads over two days!). I find myself turning down many shots in areas I'm just happy to get my own self out of, not even tempted to think about shooting game there. Matter of fact, been building elevated stands to sit all day, and quite content just enjoying being out there.
On the flip side, my bird hunting now involves chasing a pair of dogs over more ground every day than I would have even of thought of in my earlier big game days. My dogs are such a huge part of hunting season now and I cant figure why I went so many years without the companionship of a good dog.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:45 PM

Started with nothing more than old gear and ambition. Had the good fortune to catch the last couple years of high whitetail numbers, so I could make mistakes and still progress. Got into bowhunting. Loved the chess match. Finally started being able to draw tags. Learned a lot of painful lessons. Figured out where the bow is useful, and where it isn’t. Eventually had some success on animals other than whitetails. At the point where I’m limited more by time, money and access than by fitness, knowledge or skill. Enjoy new species and terrain, but doing so in a more organized manner than before. Never cared much for headgear after eating a couple tags that I had done a lot of pre season work on and passed on perfect opportunities - that’s probably the biggest change. Full realization that meat and adventure are my only goals. That hasn’t changed for a while, and it doesn’t feel like it will.

I don’t subscribe to the “stages” thing either...being a hunter is a path you forge for yourself, and the reality is not everyone is working with the same set of opportunities.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:15 PM

Over the years, I've proven that my preferred tools are capable of completing the task. That excitement has waned. What I enjoy these days is that time between the first thought of the hunt, up to the point that the trigger could be pulled. Sure, I love pumping shells through the 12 gauge or the stout kick of a rifle, but I could just as easily turn my head and say, you take this one.
For me its the journey, not the endgame.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
There are 4 stages of hunter evolution.
1st Young hunter needs to shoot at everything that moves.
2nd Hunter starts to concentrate on volume hunts.
3rd Hunters want to only shoot largest trophy.
4th Self actualization stage. Hunter just enjoys the experience of being in the woods.
There is a “method”’stage where hunters will switch from rifle to bow, or use methods that add more skill to the hunt.

There is an article written on this very topic that’s a few years old.

LC
Old 07-27-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Started with nothing more than old gear and ambition. Had the good fortune to catch the last couple years of high whitetail numbers, so I could make mistakes and still progress. Got into bowhunting. Loved the chess match. Finally started being able to draw tags. Learned a lot of painful lessons. Figured out where the bow is useful, and where it isn’t. Eventually had some success on animals other than whitetails. At the point where I’m limited more by time, money and access than by fitness, knowledge or skill. Enjoy new species and terrain, but doing so in a more organized manner than before. Never cared much for headgear after eating a couple tags that I had done a lot of pre season work on and passed on perfect opportunities - that’s probably the biggest change. Full realization that meat and adventure are my only goals. That hasn’t changed for a while, and it doesn’t feel like it will.

I don’t subscribe to the “stages” thing either...being a hunter is a path you forge for yourself, and the reality is not everyone is working with the same set of opportunities.
I believe there are stages but not all people follow them in order nor do all people touch on all stages. It’s up to the individual.

LC
Old 07-28-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I believe there are stages but not all people follow them in order nor do all people touch on all stages. It’s up to the individual.

LC

Exactly….no set way of enjoying a hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-28-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Exactly….no set way of enjoying a hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The variety is what.has made this thread such an interesting read. People hunt for all sorts of different reasons. That is why, as long as it is legal where they are, I never criticize what other hunters choose to do. I might never want to do that but it sure doesn't mean they shouldn't.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The variety is what.has made this thread such an interesting read. People hunt for all sorts of different reasons. That is why, as long as it is legal where they are, I never criticize what other hunters choose to do. I might never want to do that but it sure doesn't mean they shouldn't.
I hear ya.....I sit there so often overlooking what item to take to the field to pursue the game I want to legally take...bow, smoke pole, open sighted lever, fandangled bean field rifle, shot gun, pellet pistol pistol or rifle....or just get out and have a good long peaceful snooze

Old 07-28-2021, 09:20 AM

Can't say I fall into the typical stages. Before I was old enough to hunt, I would tag along with my Dad on bird and deer hunts. Even then I couldn't get enough. I loved wild country, wild animals and everything about it. Still do.

University, starting a family and earning a living all made it hard to find enough time in the field. 30 years later, work still makes it tough to find the time to get out enough (although 'enough' is a subjective term!). Still, I found enough time to start bowhunting early on, and it is what I mostly do. And, compared to when I started, I hunt smarter. I understand the animals better. I see some comments about not going as far, not needing to push as hard. It's the opposite for me. I go further - I look for tough areas where others don't often go. Being in those wild places, trying to figure out the animals, immerses me in the whole experience. Should I take an animal, I know how to properly take care of the meat. That often means multiple pack loads on my back, but knowing I can do it makes it more comfortable to keep going further.

I've been fairly successful and wild meat is what we rely on. But, I still get excited seeing a doe. Don't think that will ever change. Still love wild country, wild animals and the entire hunting experience.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:27 AM

this has been a Interesting thread so far. I thought I'd add to it. not to much has changed for me. type of firearm has been fairly consistent, areas I hunt also same, I still solo hunt 90% of the time, but having a 5 yr old has DEFINITELY changed things when I go with him, but the main thing that has changed is my clothing, when I started it was cheap camo, then expensive camo, but the last few years it's been earth tone clothing that looks just as in place in a mall as it does hunting, or blue jeans, checkered shirt and a hat, that has been the biggest change my clothing, haven't noticed any difference in my freezer being filled
Old 07-28-2021, 09:35 AM

Not much has changed in my style /method other than getting better at it. Used to hunt fields 70% of the time and bush 30%, now its bush 80% and fields 20% as such equipment/ weapon choices change up a bit , but its a minor change.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:21 AM

When I started hunting it was nearly 100% ambush (tree stand or blind) hunting. Now I mostly do spot and stalk.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:11 AM

When I was a single guy with single friends, with more energy and less responsibilities, I was more adventurous. It was a different era in Alberta hunting then as well.

With kids, it changed significantly. It was more about the walks in the woods, and enjoying watching them discover nature, learning about tracks and spoor, weather, etc. It became less about the kill and more about the experience. I bonded with my Father-in-law when we went out for deer and grouse. He helped instill a love of nature and hunting with the kids too.

As they grew older, they did their hunting and firearms courses, and it was fun to take them out to shoot grouse, and learning about basic survival skills (what to do in an emergency) and how to avoid emergency situations in the first place - teaching risk management etc. We'd hunt for deer, but it was tough. I sometimes managed a hunt with a buddy or two, but coordinating with our work and family lifestyles was challenging.

Now two of my kids have their first deer under their belts. They participated in the whole deal, from field to table. One deer they processed entirely themselves, and they are so excited with the tasty results. The oldest will soon be going with his friends without me.

The kids and I started to learn archery together. That added a new dimension.

I started to get better at stalking, and am at the point where I don't always plan a hunt around where I will set up my tree stand. My best hunting partner has taken an interest in archery/stalking now as well, so this is a major shift in how we hunt. He has always been a good elk/moose caller, and he's upping his game there.

There's a bittersweet aspect to things too - my Father-in-law is not physically up to those grouse walks anymore. At least he still loves to come out, even if it's just to take a short hike and then relax in a lawn chair while we go exploring.

This year, the youngest has pulled his first moose tag. Another major shift! I'm really pumped!
Old 07-29-2021, 06:53 AM

Been hunting for 50 plus years. Alberta since 1977.

Harvested my fair share of moose in the early years. I still enjoy it very much, even though draws and decline in numbers have lessen opportunities.

We still have great elk, Mule deer, and WT hunting where our hunting camp is located. Moose draw success is now at around priority 4. We still manage 1 or 2 bull tags a season between us.

During my years, I have shared my knowledge to many younger hunters, and enjoy how they have grown up to be responsible and ethical hunters. They too still enjoy my company.

Nights at camp are still a big part of the experience. Many stories and tales told every year. Hard to beat, even though many of the "same" stories are told every years.

I still enjoy going out, which I do every year on many occasions. If I pull the trigger, great. If I don't, was still a great day.

Another thing that changed is that animals are now heavier compared to 20 years ago. Go figure!

Biggest difference between then and now, I really enjoy a power snooze after brunch...
Old 07-29-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrossbow View Post
this has been a Interesting thread so far. I thought I'd add to it. not to much has changed for me. type of firearm has been fairly consistent, areas I hunt also same, I still solo hunt 90% of the time, but having a 5 yr old has DEFINITELY changed things when I go with him, but the main thing that has changed is my clothing, when I started it was cheap camo, then expensive camo, but the last few years it's been earth tone clothing that looks just as in place in a mall as it does hunting, or blue jeans, checkered shirt and a hat, that has been the biggest change my clothing, haven't noticed any difference in my freezer being filled
Clothing choice depends on your style of hunting too. If you sit in a box blind on a cutline with a rifle you can pretty much wear what you want as long as you stay warm and comfy.

If you spot and stalk in open country with a trad bow you prob want to try and blend in a bit.

LC
Old 07-29-2021, 09:33 AM

Dad took me big game and bird hunting when I was young like gr 1 or 2. I used to marvel at his guns and my uncle’s when they’d let me look. Hunting with Dad was the highlight of my world. In gr 4 my bro and I got pellet guns. Regrettably, like many kids on the farm or t the cabin, we shot every living creature that moved. Soon as I could get my licence, I was hunting with my Dad or my buddy’s dad. When I got wheels, I was out every weekend in the fall. Then I got hunting dogs in high school. Literally, I would go to the high school library, and ask the librarian if I could go back where they stored all the old magazines. They had Outdoor Life and Field and Stream dating back to the 60s. I read and read and read. Then I joined the Edmonton Pointing Dog Club, and started trialing my good dog. Then I saved money to send her to a pro in the US, where she started winning trials. I even saved money to fly down to Spokane to be around a pro trainer and high class dogs.

Can you see a theme? If you guessed “obsession” then you would be right.

Then university years, and women, came and I slowed down my hunting.

A few years later, my dog died which caused me to give up bird hunting, and I focused on big game.

I was now young, married, no kids, and little money. As obsessive as I was about dogs, I became obsessive about deer and moose. I would hang tree stand behind CFRN and sit for hours and call deer, and watch their behavior. I hunted every weekend, and my best friend and I would shoot everything that moved. They started giving out supplemental tags and I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. I was not, and never will be about horns. It was about the hunt and the meat. We ate everything we shot and were grateful to have full freezers.

Then bow hunting added a new wrinkle.

Then kids came along early for my best friend. It was nice having youngsters join us, and have a hand in how they learned. Then I had kids who grew up and started coming. The focus became my son more than filling tags. Though that was still important, as we have always relied on meat in the freezer at the end of the fall.

Then I got the itch to head back towards dogs. First it was going out with Densa44 taking my young son and I out with his dogs. Man was he nice to my son. He still asks about him. Then I met another , Elk11, who had also gotten into dogs, and he has become one of my best friends and an outstanding hunting partner. He also took my son under his wing, sharing tags and hunting with him. Has been wonderful to watch Elk do for my son, what I did for my best buddy’s boys.

Then I got bored with big game, and started into bird hunting. Thought it was something that would be more action packed and I could enjoy it with my son, as I did with my father. PM’d Pixel, who I didn’t really know, and he gave me tons of advice. I wrote everything down, and dang if we didn’t start to have a bit of success. Invited him out to join us, and saw what a highly trained Labrador Retriever could do. That was it for me. Pup on the way from the US.

Now, I hate to say it, but my life revolves around my Lab. Pixel continued to be a big help in training, and now my dog is doing the same things I marvelled at when I saw Pixel’s prize dog (who tragically passed just a few months later to a rare disease).

My passion is now waterfowl hunting. The bug has spread to my young friends, and it is very satisfying seeing them getting tuned on to birds. Such fun. Such camaraderie in the blind.

Due to injuries, I now have my disabled hunter’s permit, so a crossbow is now sitting in my garage, and I hope to put a moose or elk in the freezer with it in the next couple months.

Hunting is life to me. It brings me out into nature with my friends. It can be relational or provide solitude. It literally works to restore my soul. It makes memories like nothing else I know.

Last edited by sns2; 07-29-2021 at 09:39 AM.