Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-24-2016, 01:46 PM

Default selling essance or glands?

Is this something that we can do in Alberta?
who would you even sell to?

I read lots of stuff on trapperman about selling glands and skunk to lure makers, but I am not sure if there would be a market in Alberta even if it is legal.

even if the returns are low, it doesn't take long to take the gland out of a fox or coyote so I figure why not.

can I sell skunk essence to other trappers if I get more than I need for personal uses?
Old 03-25-2016, 07:33 AM
AO Sponsor

I suspect the law officers would get bent over that. Remember a year ago, somebody got scolded for trying to sell muskrat carcasses for bait. Want to change it? Do it through a resolution with the trappers association. Once in a blue moon the governement actually considers our proposed changes.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I suspect the law officers would get bent over that. Remember a year ago, somebody got scolded for trying to sell muskrat carcasses for bait. Want to change it? Do it through a resolution with the trappers association. Once in a blue moon the governement actually considers our proposed changes.
Yup I remember the muskrat thing pretty good since it was me..... Still shaking my head over that one........
Old 03-25-2016, 07:49 AM
AO Sponsor

A number of years ago I put a resolution in asking for the sale of teeth and claws of fur bearing animals to be legalized for sale, that actually did happen. If you put a resolution in, there is hope.

Meanwhile, I'm getting a feeling that they will only actually consider much for changes once every 5 years as they open the wildlife act for changes once every 5 years, any truth to that?
Old 03-25-2016, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Yup I remember the muskrat thing pretty good since it was me..... Still shaking my head over that one........
Kind of remember that. So, are you able to sell Muskrat carcasses for bait to bear hunters?
Old 03-25-2016, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Kind of remember that. So, are you able to sell Muskrat carcasses for bait to bear hunters?
No, you aren't allowed to sell them to anyone for anything.

I think that a resolution wrt to being able to sell muskrat carcasses the same as beaver would be excellent. What would F&W concerns be with regards to doing that I wonder? Perhaps worried about muskrats being trapped just for the carcass?
Old 03-25-2016, 08:36 PM
AO Sponsor

You can sell rat carcasses in Louisiana for human consumption. Maybe we should start the same thing here. How bout it Nube? Can you write the res up? Get it in before they close up the wildlife act for another spell.

We should sell beaver feet for high end Dawg treats... Maybe smoke em and sell them on facebook with the sealskin underwear!

To my knowledge, you can sell muskrat, raccoon and beaver carcasses in Louisiana specifically for human food. It's all supposed to be quite popular.

Muskrat is s'possed to be the sweetest meat on earth. Think it would be better thn hobbit?
Old 03-26-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
You can sell rat carcasses in Louisiana for human consumption. Maybe we should start the same thing here. How bout it Nube? Can you write the res up? Get it in before they close up the wildlife act for another spell.

We should sell beaver feet for high end Dawg treats... Maybe smoke em and sell them on facebook with the sealskin underwear!

To my knowledge, you can sell muskrat, raccoon and beaver carcasses in Louisiana specifically for human food. It's all supposed to be quite popular.

Muskrat is s'possed to be the sweetest meat on earth. Think it would be better thn hobbit?
Well i'll second that Marty I've tried it and it is very sweet and tasty IMO
Old 03-26-2016, 10:45 PM
AO Sponsor

Icky... Stink rats!

I'd rather eat a rat than a beaver, rather eat a beaver than a porcupine, and still rather eat a porcupine than a dawg. I might eat a cat before a porky tho, them pigs stink horrible! Stinking pigs... I can't believe people rant and rave over porcupig. They sure make good long range targets tho. Can't wait to warm up the ole .300 WSM once I get a long range turret put on.