Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-07-2008, 09:48 AM

Default .17 HMR on yotes

Has anyone used a 17 HMR on yotes ? What kind of results have you had ?
Seems to me it might be just the ticket for a 100 yd max range gun that will do little pelt damage.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:01 AM

Check out this thread

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=23693
Old 12-07-2008, 03:43 PM

Be a smart hunter and use your head..the 17hmr is way to light for coyotes..You will here guys tell you they work..They also should not be hunting cause they are not ethical...204 and up..
Old 12-07-2008, 05:32 PM

Just asking. guess I'll use my .308. Is that enough ?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:49 PM

I'm shooting 30 cal Barnes MPG at coyotes this year. they're frangible so hopefully no ginormous exit wound like last year. if you load up MPGs for your 308 it would probably be a decent setup.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:09 PM

Default 17hmr

In my opinion the 17 hmr is a long distance gopher round and to small for any thing much bigger i love the cal and own one myself.......
Old 12-07-2008, 07:09 PM
willy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfast View Post
They also should not be hunting cause they are not ethical...204 and up..
You didn't need to add the last part, keep that kinda stuff to yourself. You're just gonna **** people off.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:31 PM

ive got 13 coyotes and 13 shots. it drops them like a sack-o-taters at 100 yards or so. it mushes them up pretty bad inside. if it will kill a human, it will kill a yote, and after seeing what it does to a body shot..ewww!
Stinky Coyote here on AO has done remarkable things with his

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 12-07-2008, 07:33 PM

Default 17 & yotes

I have shot 9 yotes in the last year with my 17 hmr, longest shot has been 125 yrds, all have been head shots, all have been drt, I would not shoot any farther than that at coyotes, I shoot this rifle usually on a daily basis and have gotten very good with it, know your limitations
Old 12-07-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
I have shot 9 yotes in the last year with my 17 hmr, longest shot has been 125 yrds, all have been head shots, all have been drt, I would not shoot any farther than that at coyotes, I shoot this rifle usually on a daily basis and have gotten very good with it, know your limitations
Well said. People used to use .22 cal to shoot deer and caribou before it became illegal. A .17 has alot more juice than a .22
As previously stated, know your limitations. No 300 yards shots on yotes with the 17.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:22 AM

i have a .17 HMR and it is easily the easiest to shoot gun i own....a 1/4" group at a 100 yards is cake off a bipod....i could take coyotes at that distance with head shots im sure of it

but when it comes to yote hunting the HMR stays home and the 223 gets to play....that way i dont have to pass on anything thats not a total "gimme" head shot
Old 12-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
ive got 13 coyotes and 13 shots. it drops them like a sack-o-taters at 100 yards or so. it mushes them up pretty bad inside. if it will kill a human, it will kill a yote, and after seeing what it does to a body shot..ewww!
Stinky Coyote here on AO has done remarkable things with his
Pretty sure i was just following your footsteps....i think you shot the first coyotes in Alberta with a .17 hmr? Anyhow, i just kept after them longer with that caliber than you and why i've shot more. My old man got another double with the ole CZ varmint a couple weeks ago...that gun has to be near 20 by now. I forget my number...17 of them maybe? I got a double last year with a remington semi-auto .17 hmr too....that was super fun! Thats the picture in my signature.

I like shooting them in the boiler room as easier to hit because much bigger kill zone. I've shot mine typically inside 100 yrds. Probably 55% of them spin/drop on the spot and the rest do a 50 yrd runner....kind of like double lung a deer with a bow....they don't go far just pay attention to exactly where they ran, not easy to find them when they are down in bushy country.

Its not everyones thing but it sure can be done and i guarantee its a lot of fun. Keep it to approx. 100 yrd game give or take another 30 yrds maybe and hit them in boiler room your good to go. Don't use the xtp bullets, stick with cci tnt's or the 17 gr v-max loads as they blow up the internals much better....the xtps don't do enough damage and they run much further...i did the test....so save yourself the trouble and stick to the explosive bullets....plus they rock on gophers too.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:43 PM

Thats what I was thinking. All my shooting will be under 100 yrds. By the sounds of some of the above posts you'd think I had to bring the 300 weatherby out there.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:55 PM

I shot and killed three yotes down south this year. I admit, i had to shoot one about three times before it expired, not very cool. All three were in the wheel house, but there was not enough jam at 230yrds. The other 2 were quickly dispached with head shots out to 180ish... I think the .17 is a great set gun, not so good for a run and gun...but that is just me.

G-len
Old 12-08-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhill View Post
but there was not enough jam at 230yrds.
G-len
yah thats a bit far my furthest was about 165, broadside on a pup at the hole. and averaged 125-150yds
i had one ordered from Bashaw sports 15 seconds after Randy told me about one and was us undoubtedly one of the first to take multiple yotes, back then, it wasnt cool and took alot of heat from the yanks on rimfirecentral. stinky coyote came along and backed me up with series of well written posts and proof beyond arguement.
the hmr is not the best for the job, but it does do the job. its like fishing for trout with ultralite line.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 12-08-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
yah thats a bit far my furthest was about 165, broadside on a pup at the hole. and averaged 125-150yds
i had one ordered from Bashaw sports 15 seconds after Randy told me about one and was us undoubtedly one of the first to take multiple yotes, back then, it wasnt cool and took alot of heat from the yanks on rimfirecentral. stinky coyote came along and backed me up with series of well written posts and proof beyond arguement.
the hmr is not the best for the job, but it does do the job. its like fishing for trout with ultralite line.
Nice you guys are on rimfirecentral as well??? Nobody likes shooting coyotes with the 17 there. It's almost as though they are all for using 300 weatherby's for coyote hunting. I'm pretty sure our dogs are bigger as well.