Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-12-2008, 11:06 AM

Default What would make you want to attend a 3D shoot

Just looking for some feedback an what things would entice you to attend a shoot.

What draws you to attend a shoot?

What turns you off from attending a shoot?

As a president of a club and planning on holding a shoot this year I want to know what we can do to have good attendance for the work we put in.

All feedback is welcome! if you do not feel comfortable posting publicly... by all means PM me. My boxis empty!

Also when you respond let me know if you have attended shoots in the past.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Banned

Ok, its been a while.
But this is what I would like to see in a shoot.

#1 a ride out to my first post and a ride back from my last.
#2 make it a 2 dayer. I like the camping
#3 games after the shoot.. Ex long shot at the steel target.. I love when people miss and that arrow BLOWS up. (Do carbons do that? When I quit, carbons were just coming in.)
#4 get it catered with a REAL BBQ. I would love to see a pig roast or something. Not just the standard Steak and Potato thing. I know this adds to the cost, but people will pay for a Texas style BBQ or something.
#5 not big on the dance idea.. but a MONSTER fire pit would be great. Lots of seating as well, perhaps a guy on Guitar.
#6 Run it on time, end early on Sunday so a guy can get home.

I miss 3d shoots. A guy need to look at getting back into them.

Jamie
Old 02-12-2008, 01:02 PM

Went to one years and years ago and had a blast - I may have been 14 yrs old. Loved the steel target at the end of the day. All ideas above sound great to me...
Old 02-12-2008, 01:03 PM

It's been a while for me as well, but I liked the comradery of being with other archers. It was really good practice working up to hunting season, not only for shooting in general but also for practicing your yardage guessing. Also, challenging yourself and a little bit of compettion is always fun.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Banned

Also, get a few Kegs of beer with that dinner.
It will add to the taste of the BBQ and add to the comradery.
I am not saying get everyone loaded.. just enough to enjoy a glass or 2.

Jamie
Old 02-12-2008, 09:05 PM

Default 3D Shoot

nekred

Do you hold 3D shoots at your club regularly now? Nothing really organized, but just pick a day a week that anyone can come in and shoot at various 3D's set up. The club I am shooting at does this once a week. There is 36 different critters set-up with various trees, fences, etc, etc, to shoot around rather than just setting up a deer or 2 at the end of a lane. Young children to old men, experienced and first timers are all there every week.

This would likely be a great way to get everyone involved that shoots there regularly. It allows the less experienced shooters to have a go first hand at it and when an organized event comes about they would likely feel more confortable in entering it. Also a great way to get people moving around and interacting, alot of good info can be shared in an evening!

Don't know if that really answers your couple of questions directly, but hopefully helps muster up a few for the shoot! Good luck!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:43 AM

All suggestions are helpful.

We have an outdoor range only and we usually set up 2-20 animal loops.

We have hosted shoots for the last few years and we want to increase attendance.

Maybe if people could post some specific reasns why they don't attend shoots so that we can draw them back, and some ideas to attract new people.