Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2018, 08:22 PM

Default GST on used items!!

I was Value Village tonight and bough a few used Items, as the lady rang it thru I was surprised that they charged GST on those used items.

I then went to Salvation Army thrift store they don't charge no gst anyone know why that is?
Old 06-15-2018, 08:29 PM

My guess is that Value Village is a business and that Salvation Army is charity.

BW
Old 06-15-2018, 08:31 PM
Banned

Buy some used vehicle parts..GST is charged fo-sure
Old 06-15-2018, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
I was Value Village tonight and bough a few used Items, as the lady rang it thru I was surprised that they charged GST on those used items.

I then went to Salvation Army thrift store they don't charge no gst anyone know why that is?
From what I understand, if the item is sold at more than was paid for it (in other words a profit is being made) GST is applied. If they are not making a profit, no GST is paid.
I have a feeling that where the difference in your case lay, the Salvation Army is a legitimate not for profit organization. Some people don't realize it, but Value Village is definitely a 'for profit' business.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
From what I understand, if the item is sold at more than was paid for it (in other words a profit is being made) GST is applied. If they are not making a profit, no GST is paid.
I have a feeling that where the difference in your case lay, the Salvation Army is a legitimate not for profit organization. Some people don't realize it, but Value Village is definitely a 'for profit' business.
Makes sense I guess , but I thought the proceeds would go to diabetes, or charities.

Good thing I don’t go there often as they are way overpriced, at times they charge more for used clothing than what Walmart or old navy would charge.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:35 PM

I was always under the impression they were a charity too.

Wonder how many people donate and have no idea they are just supplying a business with free inventory.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Buy some used vehicle parts..GST is charged fo-sure
Hell, go to pick 'n pull and you get charged an 'environmental fee'... I figure they should be paying me, not charging me!

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:48 PM

I understand retailers are allowed to include gst.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
I understand retailers are allowed to include gst.
Required, not allowed. You pay GST on an used car purchased a an auto dealer.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:20 AM

I think Walmart owns value village
Old 06-16-2018, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
Required, not allowed. You pay GST on an used car purchased a an auto dealer.
I don't understand your point.

I agree you are required to charge gst fore Sure!

But I think retailers are allowed to include the gst inside the price similar to vending machines .
Old 06-16-2018, 10:48 AM

Like a couple of others said, Value Village is a FOR PROFIT registered business. The only charity thing they do is buy bulk used times at so many cents a pound from charities that collect used stuff and don't have a store to re-sell it. As a business, they must charge and remit GST.

Good Will and Sally Anne are Registered charities. All the money they make, net of operating costs, goes to charity, they do not collect GST.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
I don't understand your point.

I agree you are required to charge gst fore Sure!

But I think retailers are allowed to include the gst inside the price similar to vending machines .
Ditto dude.

Retailers can have the tax hidden/included in the price, or add it after the sale.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:

I often buy used firearms from both P&D and Cabelas. There is always GST charged..
Old 06-16-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Good thing I don’t go there often as they are way overpriced, at times they charge more for used clothing than what Walmart or old navy would charge.
Value Village "overpriced"??
Can I get on your Christmas gift list? 😂🤣🤑🙂
Old 06-16-2018, 11:37 AM

Savers, Inc. headquartered in Bellevue, Washington, USA, is a privately held for-profit thrift store chain offering second hand shopping. An international company, Savers has more than 315 locations throughout the United States, Canada and Australia, and receives its merchandise by paying money to non-profit organizations for donated clothing and household items, and through direct donation by individuals. Savers is known as Value Village in the Pacific Northwest of the United States and most of Canada, and Village des Valeurs in Quebec.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Value village is a private for profit company that makes over a billion dollars in revenue a year, I would hope they pay gst!
Old 06-16-2018, 08:32 PM

You donate clothes to “charity “

That charity sells those clothes to places like Value Village who pay about $1.30 per pound.

And, some people drop their clothes off right at VV’s door.

And VV makes 100% profit

Research your charities. Most, like almost anything with “cancer “ in its name, isn’t doing anything but paying wages to people who “donate “ a minuscule amount of what they collect.

I support ZERO charities anymore.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
You donate clothes to “charity “

That charity sells those clothes to places like Value Village who pay about $1.30 per pound.

And, some people drop their clothes off right at VV’s door.

And VV makes 100% profit

Research your charities. Most, like almost anything with “cancer “ in its name, isn’t doing anything but paying wages to people who “donate “ a minuscule amount of what they collect.

I support ZERO charities anymore.
I don't drop clothes or anything off for hat matter at VV, only Salvation army or Bibels for mission. VV only gets rich from free donated inventory.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Have you tried the new thrift store in the old Cowboys nightclub location? (By the old Lotus Nightclub) I heard its a charitable church group that owns it. I admit I don't know much about it tho.
Are going insane.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
Have you tried the new thrift store in the old Cowboys nightclub location? (By the old Lotus Nightclub) I heard its a charitable church group that owns it. I admit I don't know much about it tho.
Yes we did check out last Friday, pretty nice store.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Like a couple of others said, Value Village is a FOR PROFIT registered business. The only charity thing they do is buy bulk used times at so many cents a pound from charities that collect used stuff and don't have a store to re-sell it. As a business, they must charge and remit GST.

Good Will and Sally Anne are Registered charities. All the money they make, net of operating costs, goes to charity, they do not collect GST.
I think Value Village is kind of a double hit against charities , in that a lot of people donate to them " thinking " that they are a charity for one and secondly as Dean points out , they buy clothing that was donated to actual charities , by the pound.... so for example , someone could donate a 15 lb bag of high end designer clothing vs someone donating a 15 lb bag of ...socks , and VV pays the charity the same amount ( likely the value of the sock bag ) for each bag .

Can you imagine going into a retail clothing store and your purchases are put on a scale at the register to figure out what you owe.

I'm far more in favour of " Goodwill " as ...1/ ...they ARE a charity , and ...2/ what they take in at each store , is sold at that store .

And Yes . No GST
Old 06-17-2018, 10:48 AM

As of May 2016, I absolutely will not be found in any VV's no longer.
Was walking around the clothing aisles, spotted a nice Led Zepplin
shirt, but for $29, seemed outrageous for a 2nd hand T-shirt.
Fast forward about 9days later, exact same T-shirt spotted in
Walmart for 11.99, told me everything about the scams of Villages
of no value..old clothes with above new pricing mark ups.