Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-03-2020, 09:21 AM

Default Hearing protection for hunting

Does anyone use any of the hearing protection while they are out hunting I think I damaged my ear this summer and I'm looking at buying something for hunting I have hearing protection for shooting but would like to know if anyone uses anything while they are out hunting thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2020, 09:34 AM

I've been recommended the Howard Leigh impacts.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:21 AM

I hate wearing muffs while hunting. ( ok for target but not and uncomfortable for me while hunting) I used to wear surefire plugs until I found pro ears stealth 28. In ear electronic ear protection. Been using them the last 4 seasons

Last edited by obsessed1; 10-03-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:30 AM

i use walkers razor slim, they are a slim low profile design good for rifle shooting. I use them for target shooting and hunting. Ive done enough damage to my ears over the years that i make sure i always have good protection even when hunting. I even double up with ear plugs when im at the range especially when its busy and everybody seems to have breaks on their barrels these days.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I hate wearing muffs while hunting. ( ok for target but not and uncomfortable for me while hunting) I used to wear surefire plugs until I found pro ears stealth 28. In ear electronic ear protection. Been using them the last 4 seasons
I wear glasses. How would these work with glasses?
Old 10-03-2020, 10:47 AM

I also use the walkers for hunting. You can turn up the volume on them so you don't have any noise reduction until you take the shot. It never 100% as good as when you have turned off, but pretty close.

I only use plugs if I am hunting something where no quick shots will be taken and I have time to put them in, ie antelope, or sheep.

I have hearing damage from when I was a little kid, I dont need anymore.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:13 AM

Your clear hearing for noises in bush a very important part of effective still hunting especially for trailing/stocking game. The one or two well placed shots when shooting at game will have minimum impact on your hearing.
While shooting ducks/geese then hearing protection recommended or at shooting range with high number of gun fire.
PS You also want to hear when that grizz tries to sneek up on you.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:18 AM

what!

There are no absolutes
Old 10-03-2020, 11:24 AM

I've been looking at the walkers and the Howard Lee ones so you guys like them for hunting I'm looking at buying a pair for years now I have this ear problem thanks

Old 10-03-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I wear glasses. How would these work with glasses?
No issue. They are ear bud style electronic sound amplifier/ canceler. Turn them low and you hear just like normal turn them up and you can hear a deer fact 400yds away. They noise cancel just like muffs when you shoot. They don't interfere with glasses or check weld
Old 10-03-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
No issue. They are ear bud style electronic sound amplifier/ canceler. Turn them low and you hear just like normal turn them up and you can hear a deer fact 400yds away. They noise cancel just like muffs when you shoot. They don't interfere with glasses or check weld
Thanks. I have hearing damage and horrible tinnitus in my right ear ( I shoot left) from shooting an elk 6 yrs ago with a braked 340 Wby. Usually have time to push in an ear plug, but things happened real fast that morning. I need to be able to hear elk while calling them. Gonna give these a try, price is right.

Cheer
Bruce
Old 10-03-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Your clear hearing for noises in bush a very important part of effective still hunting especially for trailing/stocking game. The one or two well placed shots when shooting at game will have minimum impact on your hearing.
While shooting ducks/geese then hearing protection recommended or at shooting range with high number of gun fire.
Minimal impact isnt that minimal when it doesnt come back.
Electronic muffs allow you to hear more in the bush then without them. You can turn up the volume, then they automatically cancel out noise above a certain db.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Electronic muffs allow you to hear more in the bush then without them. You can turn up the volume, then they automatically cancel out noise above a certain db.
Yup exactly. And even one gun shot can damage your hearing , anything over 140 db will do immediate damage. Wish i would have wore protection more religiously when i was younger now i deal with tinnitus and hearing aids.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:01 PM

I use electronic muffs. They have the adjustable volume level, so I don’t find I’m missing out on sounds in the forest. I do find them stifling in this warm autumn, but I’m not chancing my hearing and tend to lose ear buds.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:40 PM
Banned

I use the Walkers as well. As much as they aren’t as comfortable as wearing nothing, I want to be able to hear my grandkids when that time comes. I’ve spent a lot of time in construction where those one or two loud noises in a day “won’t hurt you” and I do suffer from some loss already. Take care of your hearing while you still have it. I can’t imagine hearing aids being worn full time to be very comfortable.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Problem is everyone now days seems to put a break on every rifle they own.

One shot at these levels can result in permanent hearing loss.

Last edited by EZM; 10-03-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Problem is everyone now days seems to put a break on every rifle they own.

One shot at these levels can result in permanent hearing loss.
Out of all the folks I know who hunt, there’s only 1 guy running a brake.

Wanna guesstimate again.

All the guesstimating aside, if you’re running a brake, you better consider hearing protection even while hunting. If you’re 4 guys shoulder to shoulder in a goose blind it’s just a matter of time before somebody “speaks outta turn“.

Electronic muffs are dirt cheap, why wouldn’t ya?

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 10-03-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Exactly. I have permanent hearing damage from work and hunting/shooting over 45 years. Even with my hearing aids I'm still challenged. When I hunt, I use MSA electronic muffs with gel cups, very comfortable, and I hear way way more than I would without them (I turn them up)...and when I shoot, it protects what little hearing I have left. Not cheap, but way cheaper than hearing aids, or going deaf!

Been using these for a few years, very good quality. And I have started working as an RSO at a local range, so this helps me communicate and hear, while protecting my hearing as well:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00QV33ZRK/..._.erEFbSTZS4GA

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-03-2020, 06:13 PM

My hearing protection for hunting is a SilencerCo Omega...
Old 10-03-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
My hearing protection for hunting is a SilencerCo Omega...
Every time, you gotta rub it in....

I wish we could, but we are governed by ideological idiots.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-03-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Where did you buy these from? I see them on Amazon for $100, seem expensive but maybe that’s what they go for?
Old 10-03-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Exactly. I have permanent hearing damage from work and hunting/shooting over 45 years. Even with my hearing aids I'm still challenged. When I hunt, I use MSA electronic muffs with gel cups, very comfortable, and I hear way way more than I would without them (I turn them up)...and when I shoot, it protects what little hearing I have left. Not cheap, but way cheaper than hearing aids, or going deaf!

Been using these for a few years, very good quality. And I have started working as an RSO at a local range, so this helps me communicate and hear, while protecting my hearing as well:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00QV33ZRK/..._.erEFbSTZS4GA
Those look nice a little expensive but you're hearing you only have once

Old 10-03-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
Where did you buy these from? I see them on Amazon for $100, seem expensive but maybe that’s what they go for?
I paid 99$ at a LGS a few years ago. Way cheaper than walkers or other in ear electronic type.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:37 PM

I started wearing foam plugs in the goose blind, but muffs effect my wingshooting. I don't wear anything while hunting big game, but I won't hunt with anyone using a brake.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Every time, you gotta rub it in....

I wish we could, but we are governed by ideological idiots.
Ha one of the few things I can hold over my friends up north lol. Took a while to get it here in Montana but now we have it there hasn’t been any outbreaks of poaching or more importantly accidental hunter shootings. I still wear muffs when using it at the range but sure helps reduce the report when hunting.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4hugh View Post
I've been recommended the Howard Leigh impacts.
These are awesome. I also got replacement cups for them. Makes them very comfortable.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:59 PM

Default Ear plugs

My som gave me the razor walkers for Father’s Day a few years back,and I really like them,they amplify normal noise and block louder noises (gun Shot)and a person can talk very quite to someone and be heard easily.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:15 PM

I wear muffs whenever I shoot because I didn't when younger.

I can hear quiet sounds, people talking and when hunting they keep my ears warm.

I have pro ears, Howard Leights and walkers. They all work well but I find the walkers more comfortable.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:11 AM

The best I have found are custom moulded esp in ear plugs. They are made to fit your ears and can be turned up or down to hear your surroundings the best part is for you folks with tinnitus you can ask to have them programed to adjust for your hearing damage so you can always hear perfectly.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-04-2020, 12:49 PM

I have used the Walker hearing aid- style plugs that are adjustable but got the most part I use the North plugs with the shut off valve in them .
Cat