Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-01-2020, 09:57 PM

Default First time moose hunting

I have an undersubscribed moose tag for 536 in November. I have never hunted moose but plan on giving it a whirl. I find it odd that there are still undersubscribed tags left....anyone have any info on a possible reason why for this area lol. I know there are people hunting in the area but many hunt the oil roads. My plan is to actually go in the woods lol. Any advice that may be helpful gladly accepted lol. I have been you tubing calling. Gonna be practicing in the truck on my way to and from work for the next month lol.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:59 PM

The undersubscribed tags are usually due to very limited access to the area.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:12 PM

Has anyone had moose success in 536? What’s your game plan? Hope for snow and bring snowmobile to cover ground? Looks kinda neat on google earth. If it stays warm bring a bear tag. I bet there’s some giants out there. Wolves too
Old 10-01-2020, 11:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3006 View Post
I have an undersubscribed moose tag for 536 in November. I have never hunted moose but plan on giving it a whirl. I find it odd that there are still undersubscribed tags left....anyone have any info on a possible reason why for this area lol. I know there are people hunting in the area but many hunt the oil roads. My plan is to actually go in the woods lol. Any advice that may be helpful gladly accepted lol. I have been you tubing calling. Gonna be practicing in the truck on my way to and from work for the next month lol.
That WMU is hunted heavily by Dene Tha' from Bushe River, Chateh and Meander plus oilfield workers from High Level and Rainbow lake.

Anywhere with access is pretty much void of Moose.

Off road hunting is hard in the area. There is a lot of wet ground that is too wet for quads. Plus a couple of outfitters that have camps in the less accessible places. One of those outfitters is my neighbor.

I spent a lot of years around there hauling cement and doing silviculture work. (That's cut block layout, regen surveys, and planting checks.)

In all I spent abut fourteen years working the area. In that time I saw less then a dozen Moose.

The Moose are there, but in places too hard to get to.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-01-2020, 11:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
Has anyone had moose success in 536? What’s your game plan? Hope for snow and bring snowmobile to cover ground? Looks kinda neat on google earth. If it stays warm bring a bear tag. I bet there’s some giants out there. Wolves too
You are right about the Bears in that area. Last years fires pushed a lot of bear out of their territory and they have been causing all kinds of grief in Paddle and High Level.
I haven't talked to anyone from Rainbow in years but I expect they are a problem there too.

And yes there are some true monsters up there.

A snowmobile might work, but I don't know what the cutlines are like other then they are wet. It's over thirty years since I worked the back country around there.

All my recent trips up have been on pavement only.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-02-2020, 05:22 AM

I have been on 3 separate bison hunts over the years, I always kept an eye out for moose tracks and in the 3 years, (approximately 20 days in all), I saw very few moose tracks.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:30 AM

I heard many residents of Chateh hunt 536, most around the Chin river and the winter road to BC. Many residents of Rainbow Lake go towards High Level from what I’ve been told. I have seen moose, a couple actually just outside Rainbow and have seen a few tracks while out for bears. Lot’s of bears.... but a lot of small bears. My plan is pretty simple. Scout around the area I seen the moose, hike in....try calling and hope for the best. If I am lucky enough to harvest I will make as many trips needed to haul it out. I know see this as a challenge accepted lol. If anyone is interested in giving it a go with me, I am more than happy to share. I am sure I can live with half a moose or less lol.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
I did in 2016 it was a fluke. 35 inch bull. A cow crossed the road and then the calf I figured just the 2 of em...... Nope!! Bull!! Bang !

Alot more to this story tho as I had my wife with me lol I almost walked home..... lol
Old 10-02-2020, 08:28 AM

Default First time moose hunting

Looks like you have your work cut out for you. My sole experience is from a bison hunt. We saw decent moose sign from snow machines along the Hay and Chinchaga rivers.

And by decent I mean a couple sets of moose tracks per day after averaging 80km per day on the machines.

Depending on ice situation, I would paddle one of the rivers and camp. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by dave99; 10-02-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somehunter View Post
I did in 2016 it was a fluke. 35 inch bull. A cow crossed the road and then the calf I figured just the 2 of em...... Nope!! Bull!! Bang !

Alot more to this story tho as I had my wife with me lol I almost walked home..... lol
Lol