Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 05:45 PM

Default Wild Horses?

Being from Saskatchewan, I have very little experience or knowledge about wild horses and how they behave towards other animals and vice versa. I saw a couple of them out today and just gave them their space. I did notice their presence in this area for sometime now but this is my first time being up.close to them. I have noticed that there seems to be considerably less deer sign in this area where they seem to frequent? Please share any words of wisdom and advice. Thanks. Ken
Old 11-19-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
Being from Saskatchewan, I have very little experience or knowledge about wild horses and how they behave towards other animals and vice versa. I saw a couple of them out today and just gave them their space. I did notice their presence in this area for sometime now but this is my first time being up.close to them. I have noticed that there seems to be considerably less deer sign in this area where they seem to frequent? Please share any words of wisdom and advice. Thanks. Ken
The deer in the area I hunt definitely tend to vanish when wild horses move in - for whatever reason. And unfortunately there can be a lot of horses around. They can really ***** up a hunt in my experience.

J
Old 11-19-2017, 06:13 PM

"But they are so wonderful and free" and identify as 'free spanish mustangs"....or some such "rot" that the horse huggy-kissy crowd keeps pushing in alberta.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:16 PM

Does anyone know the history of the horses? Are they really "wild" horses or did they escape etc..
Old 11-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
Does anyone know the history of the horses? Are they really "wild" horses or did they escape etc..
I think in some cases if you don't want to pay to feed and board Trigger anymore he gets taken for a one way road trip to run away and be free.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:27 PM

So, is it illegal to get rid of old trigger by dumping him off in the woods?
Old 11-19-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
The wildies around Nordegg are descendants of the work horses that were turned loose when the coal mines shut down. I'm sure people have been trying to catch them since the first ones escaped or were set free, so I don't understand why they needed protection when the population has exploded for 50 years.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-19-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Escaped,abandoned and turned loose by loggers,guide and outfitters,eastern slope ranchers,first nation reservations,tourists,horse huggers and also farmed and selectively culled by some enterprising local ranchers. Started showing up in larger numbers after WW 2.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:08 PM

So the Alberta Animal Protection Regulation governs horses, they clasify as livestock, so if the are abandoned is it not the responsibility of the government to spend our tax dollars to round them up? The spca rounds up strays all the time, why are these horses any different? Its not our Heritage that miners and loggers let horses run free, its the miners and loggers that are our Heritage, just my thought
Old 11-20-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post

Photos.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WHWap.jpg (92.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg WHW.jpg (60.3 KB, 117 views)

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology