Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2014, 01:32 PM

Default Smokercraft boats

Hi all just wondering if anyone has owned one and there boats thoughts on there boats are they worth buying?Whats there pros and cons ? Iam looking hard for a fishing boat around the 20,000 mark and any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:00 PM

Great quality for price! May not have all bells and whistles other boats have, but my 2009 Pro Angler has been a solid investment from my experience with it!
Lots of room/good layout/lots of power/handles rough water well.
Just make sure that you go with enough horsepower for the size of boat you buy. What model are you looking at buying?

Last edited by Stally77; 03-29-2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-29-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stally77 View Post
Great quality for price! May not have all bells and whistles other boats have, but my 2009 Pro Angler has been a solid investment from my experience with it!
Lots of room/good layout/lots of power/handles rough water well.
Just make sure that you go with enough horsepower for the size of boat you buy. What model are you looking at buying?
Iam looking at the pro angler 162 XL seems to be a decent boat for the price the one iam looking at comes with a 75 mercury should be enough power for my needs. Should be able to get this boat for around the 20 mark kinda my budget.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:16 PM

I would recommend at least a 90 hp engine on that boat. If u fill it with more than a couple people and gear too. It may not perform to your liking. JMO.
With my 115 on my 172 and 4 Adults it takes a bit longer to get up on plane.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:25 PM

While the Smoker Craft is a decent boat. For your budget I would for sure take a look at the Tracker at Bass Prol

See more and more of them on the lakes every year and their 16 is priced I think well within your range.

Another option is a good used one, keep your eyes and ears open you never know what will pop up. Walleye Central has a good list of used boats as well.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:13 PM

Default Horsepower

Get maximum horsepower allowed by the spec plate. My 172 with a 115 disappoints me. Wish I would have maxed it out.

Full load of people and gear is embarrassing. And I think the resale would improve if I had maxed the hp out.

Happy with the boat. Now. Make sure You do a complete and thorough predelivery inspection and get all of the issues addressed.

I won't slam the dealer I got mine from now. It took the five years to finally square issues up that were present and addressed at delivery.

Max the motor out and enjoy.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:19 PM

Default Smokercraft

Ni believe smokercraft , legend , tracker are all the same hulls ......
The .100 Aluminum hulls are lesser grades of Aluminum compared
To Lund , Alumacraft , Crestliner ,

The 162 weighs 1000 lbs is 16 ft. So a 75 should work but the better
Boats in that size range all weigh 1200 to 1350 lbs so the guts on that Smoker are suspect .

The Mirrocraft 1687 with a Merc 90 is at the price point you are looking at
And is a better made boat .

The 1650 Crestliner Fish Hawk is not far off that mark ....

Google , " make of boat " and problems .....you'll get tired of reading the Tracker problems ...

http://youboat.net/diy/metalBoats/aluminumAlloys.aspx
Old 03-29-2014, 04:55 PM

I've spent 27 years of my life in smokercraft boats.

The first two in a 12 foot alaskan, which is my dad's but my g-pa is still using today. He's re-done the transom and seats... only because he's retired and likes to keep himself occupied.

My dad has a 14 foot alaskan
(same model as this... not his actual boat)

we've drifted the Atknarko river, jetted up the cariboo river, ran the lower fraser river, fished all sorts of lakes. He's had the boat for at least 25 years... love the boat.

Not sure about the new ones... haven't had to buy one in a quarter century
Old 03-29-2014, 08:28 PM

If your in Edmonton, and buying from the "local dealer" run away and buy anything else ..... they will not service your boat, argue about warranty and steal parts off your boat when it is in for service.

I owned a 162 XL and it was okay quality. It is no comparison to a Lund but you can get a Crestliner for not much more $.

If you can't budget to max the horsepower, go to a 2 stroke, it has more torque.

I would also run away from Trackers. according to many, many post and on-line reviews They are the worst boats ever made and their packages are so under-powered the boats barely get on plane.

I looked at them closely and they seemed very poorly constructed.

I would look at a Lund Fury XL - you can get a 75 hp 2 stroke on one of those for about $22K. This might be the best boat for your money.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:50 PM

I love my ultima 172 with 115 merc. Even with 3 guys in the boat I can get a wake boarder out of the water.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:55 PM

Crestliner makes great boats, but at the time I was buying they didn't have the seating configuration the smokercraft did.
AND I hate the Crestliner dealer/service here in Calagry. I will never walk in there except to show off pictures of my Smokercraft bahahaha!
Old 03-30-2014, 04:29 PM

1) 16'-9" Lund Rebel XL with a 90 hp 2 stroke ............ $ 23,700.

2) 16'-9" Lund Rebel XL with a 75 hp 2 stoke ............. $ 22,000

3) 16' Crestliner Fishhawk with a 75 hp 2 stroke ......... $ 21,000

The 4 strokes are roughly the same money per hp, but I always suggest a 2 stroke for smaller boats as they just have far more torque and far better overall performance at a much lighter weight. They are stinkier and noisier.

The 4 strokes will be quieter, better on gas, but a little heavier, possibly sluggish if you are under powered and require more maintenance.

Little tinners benefit from lighter motors hanging off the transom. You will notice this if you have run both like I have.

The worst thing you could do is get a smaller hp 4 stroke ...... IMHO
Old 03-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Banned

I have a 1990 18 1/2 Sylvan Super Sportster (made by smokercraft) boat with a 115 Mariner, which I purchased in 1995. I have 4 sons and at that time, they and my wife went on all fishing trips. I had looked at a 16-17 ft, but on the advice of the salesman at Hunters where I bought the boat, he said I would probably be happier with one a bit bigger, and he was right!

IMO, it is really important is to consider what you are going to be doing with the boat 80% of the time and purchase your boat with that in mind. Mine was family fishing, so seating, floor plan, stability and how far the gunwales were above the floor were very important. It also happen to have a huge livewell, which was in the middle, not the front of the boat, which worked out good for the tournaments.

I still have this boat and have fished tournaments with it ever since, as well as countless trips with my family. The only addition I did to the boat beside adding electronics, holders, trolling motor etc., was to make a casting deck for the front of the boat.

This boat is 24 years old this year, and still does not leak a drop, and has never been repainted. I have spent literally hundreds of hours in this boat, in all kinds of conditions, and there is not one tear in the upholstery or one tear in the carpet (there is wear in the carpet though) either. I am happy with the fit and finish, both inside and out on this boat.

I do not really care what name is on the side of the boat, never did, what I care about is how the unit performs, and having a large family the stability and safety, of the boat. Resale was not important to me either, as you can see, I have kept my unit for many years.

Take your time, buying a boat is great "fun" get the feed back from people who have owned the different boats you are looking at, as those are the only opinions of any real value IMO.

I do not know if the boats today are made as well today as back then, I think they are better, but I would not hesitate to endorse a Smokercraft boat. There are stronger boats, fancier boats, and faster boats, but for me the Sylvan has stood the test of time and has proven to be good value for the money.

I have to agree with EZM on the Edmonton dealer though, I would drive to Sk. to buy, before I would deal with them.

Last edited by bobalong; 03-30-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
1) 16'-9" Lund Rebel XL with a 90 hp 2 stroke ............ $ 23,700.

2) 16'-9" Lund Rebel XL with a 75 hp 2 stoke ............. $ 22,000

3) 16' Crestliner Fishhawk with a 75 hp 2 stroke ......... $ 21,000

The 4 strokes are roughly the same money per hp, but I always suggest a 2 stroke for smaller boats as they just have far more torque and far better overall performance at a much lighter weight. They are stinkier and noisier.

The 4 strokes will be quieter, better on gas, but a little heavier, possibly sluggish if you are under powered and require more maintenance.

Little tinners benefit from lighter motors hanging off the transom. You will notice this if you have run both like I have.

The worst thing you could do is get a smaller hp 4 stroke ...... IMHO
I was wondering where u could get those boats around calgary for those prices?ive been to BAndL marine the fishhawk was around 28 and the Lunda out at alberta marine those Lunds where prices around 28-30 I would love to get a Lund for that price I just don't no where to find one around calgary.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going fishing View Post
I was wondering where u could get those boats around calgary for those prices?ive been to BAndL marine the fishhawk was around 28 and the Lunda out at alberta marine those Lunds where prices around 28-30 I would love to get a Lund for that price I just don't no where to find one around calgary.
I looked at the 1650 FishHawk at B&L, it's a really nice boat, I don't see how a guy could go wrong with one. That one was loaded with all kinds of nice upgrades, I'm guessing at least $5-6000 worth of stuff. I don't think you'd have too much trouble getting a 1650 with only the standard features and a 75 two stroke for somewhere close to the $21,000 mark.

The exchange rate is a killer these days though, you're looking at adding 10-12% to the cost compared to buying a boat last year.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going fishing View Post
Call one of the Lund Dealers in Edmonton or St.Albert.

I purchased my 1800 Lund Tyee with a 150hp Honda for under $40,000 last year from the St.Albert dealer. It had many options like the ski package, full canopy, air ride seats, etc....

The crooks at Nanton Lund quoted me just under $60,000 for the exact same set up. I was stunned when they didn't have an explanation for the difference in price and were arrogant when I inquired about their price.

"If you can REALLY get it for that price, you should buy it", with a laugh, the crook/saleman told me ........ so I did ....... and I laughed last with an extra $20,000 in my pocket.

With the money I saved I added lots of cool toys and electronics.

I am surprised when so many Calgary area guys complain about the prices of Lunds, when, in fact, equally equipped they are only a few grand higher.

An 18ft Sylvan/Smokercraft would have saved me only $3000 on this $40,000 purchase.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:03 PM

Default Not in Calgary

Unfortunately you cannot buy a Lund in Calgary for a competitive price .

Lethbridge has a reputable Lund dealer ....The last two Lunds I bought

Came from Kevin's Marine in Fort Quappelle Sask . Cost me $ 225.00

In Gas and one day to pick it up ......saved 7 k over Nanton .on each deal .

This is the most important part ...Was Rigged Perfect .....

Check out Rainbow or Riverside ... Closer . I prefer the Lund 1675 Impact

With 90 4strk ......25 k range ....but worth it ....
Old 03-30-2014, 11:18 PM

Default same aluminum tracker and lund

They both use the same aluminum according to there websites 5052 aluminum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Ni believe smokercraft , legend , tracker are all the same hulls ......
The .100 Aluminum hulls are lesser grades of Aluminum compared
To Lund , Alumacraft , Crestliner ,

The 162 weighs 1000 lbs is 16 ft. So a 75 should work but the better
Boats in that size range all weigh 1200 to 1350 lbs so the guts on that Smoker are suspect .

The Mirrocraft 1687 with a Merc 90 is at the price point you are looking at
And is a better made boat .

The 1650 Crestliner Fish Hawk is not far off that mark ....

Google , " make of boat " and problems .....you'll get tired of reading the Tracker problems ...

http://youboat.net/diy/metalBoats/aluminumAlloys.aspx
Old 03-31-2014, 08:30 AM

The key to hull design and strength go far beyond the grade and thickness of the aluminium.

The way it is welded and/or riveted and the way the re-enforcing beams are constructed is key.

The old SmokerCrafts were fantastic boats. I clearly see a departure from that commitment to quality in the newer models as they focus to reduce cost and drive up product margins. This is not unique to SmokerCraft.

When you look deeper into boat construction, look at the overlap of the sheets and the rows, spacing of rivets and/or size of the welds.

Look at the cockpit finishes beyond the cosmetics - hinges and latched on doors, construction of doors and hatches, materials used for glove boxes and live wells, etc...

Look at the seats, the bases, the construction of the floor, the grade of aluminium used for the rails on the canopy, are the hinges and fittings HDPE plastic on the canopy frame, are they high quality nylon or cast crappy steel?

Knowing what to look for is the key to getting beyond cosmetics and arm chair expert opinions.

Look at the max hp a boat can operate with - the more hp per foot clearly tells you the transom and construction is strong enough to support the weight of, and the torque of, larger and more powerful motor.

If you go to the company website and you see a 16ft full console (full windshield) boat with a standard 40HP motor .......... that's your first indicator of how well the boat is constructed and what their focus is. Cheap boats in a low priced market.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:59 PM

I bought the exact boat you are looking at last year. Smokercraft Pro Angler 162 XL. I put the Merc Optimax 2 stroke 75hp on it. Interesting enough, the U.S. Coast Guard badge on it says max recommended hp is 75. The Canadian badge says 60. I put a ton of hours on it in one season. It is a good boat for the price, but i wish i had gone with a 17 or 18 footer. My biggest complaint with the boat was the bow hop. The 75hp is pretty heavy motor on the back end of a 16 foot boat. Plus you'll notice that the cockpit of the boat is biased to the rear. And the boat is very wide for a 16 footer. So in my opinion the design of the boat doesn't work too well with the bigger motor. At full throttle the boat would VIOLENTLY bow hop if you trimmed up the motor even a hair. I put all the weight i could to the front of the boat to try help. Even with the front livewell full of water it wouldn't help. My dealer ended up installing trim tabs at no charge. They did solve the problem, but it cost me about 4mph off my top speed. Now with the tabs the boat handles a little weird also. There is a sweet spot with the trim where the boat will track straight. Not enough trim and it pulls one way. Too much trim and it pulls the other way. And not just a little, but a lot! Other than that, the boat has been rock solid. Handled some pretty rough water on Cold Lake no problem. Pulls a tube with one adult very easy. Have even pulled a tube with 3 kids. still does pretty good. 95% of the time i'm fishing with the boat and the width is nice. Two people fish very comfortably out of it. Three is still pretty good. Four gets too crowded. I probably put well over a hundred hours on it in it's first season and nothing broke. Only minor defect was the glove box quit latching shut.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:55 PM

Step up to the Harbercraft (kingfisher) 16 footer. Built 3X better and stronger handles big water better has more floor space but not all the nice to have compartments.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:04 PM

take a look at my sylvan 17ft for sale. some maker as smokercraft. comes with lots of bells and whistles and you will have 5k in your pocket.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywarje View Post
I bought the exact boat you are looking at last year. Smokercraft Pro Angler 162 XL. I put the Merc Optimax 2 stroke 75hp on it. Interesting enough, the U.S. Coast Guard badge on it says max recommended hp is 75. The Canadian badge says 60. I put a ton of hours on it in one season. It is a good boat for the price, but i wish i had gone with a 17 or 18 footer. My biggest complaint with the boat was the bow hop. The 75hp is pretty heavy motor on the back end of a 16 foot boat. Plus you'll notice that the cockpit of the boat is biased to the rear. And the boat is very wide for a 16 footer. So in my opinion the design of the boat doesn't work too well with the bigger motor. At full throttle the boat would VIOLENTLY bow hop if you trimmed up the motor even a hair. I put all the weight i could to the front of the boat to try help. Even with the front livewell full of water it wouldn't help. My dealer ended up installing trim tabs at no charge. They did solve the problem, but it cost me about 4mph off my top speed. Now with the tabs the boat handles a little weird also. There is a sweet spot with the trim where the boat will track straight. Not enough trim and it pulls one way. Too much trim and it pulls the other way. And not just a little, but a lot! Other than that, the boat has been rock solid. Handled some pretty rough water on Cold Lake no problem. Pulls a tube with one adult very easy. Have even pulled a tube with 3 kids. still does pretty good. 95% of the time i'm fishing with the boat and the width is nice. Two people fish very comfortably out of it. Three is still pretty good. Four gets too crowded. I probably put well over a hundred hours on it in it's first season and nothing broke. Only minor defect was the glove box quit latching shut.

Hope this helps.
Severe porpoising like that is not normal, and can be dangerous.

Adjustments in motor height and/or propeller design will generally help solve mild porpoising issues. Severe cases are often the result of a hook or some kind of default in the hull. IMHO, the trim tabs are a band-aid fix, and if I were you, I'd stay on your dealer and Smokercraft to fix your problem properly. No boat should have handling issues like that, regardless of brand.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:27 AM

I have a 2006 Pro Mag 172 with a 90Hp 2 stroke.

The extra touque of the 2-stroke really helps with the lower power motors. I'd have loved to have a 115, but got a smoking deal on mine (I ended up paying the bank for it not the owner and he still had to pay them a bit more). However the one benifit is if I'm just running to and from fishing holes, I can go a week on a tank of gas. The 2-strokes are also really easy to maintain.

The boat really handles the big waves well and it's got a tonne of room as it's quite wide. It's done everything I've asked of it and more, couldn't be happier.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:06 AM

I have the Smokercraft 172 Ultima. Love it it is a 1994. Used a ton. I chose it over a Lund at the time. Best decision I ever made. I am retired so that is pretty much all I do all summer. Great boats for the dollar. Grat advice to buy whatever motor it is rated for. I have a 125, rated for 150. Could use the extra 25hp.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:51 AM

Default 17.3 Pro Angler 2013 Smoker Craft

I purchased this boat new and love it. I have been an avid fisherman for over 40 years and have owned several boats 12ft-30ft. This boat had all the features I was looking for fish wells, this boat is deep and wide the gunnels are nice and wide. plenty of storage all lockable for rods and downriggers. The 115 yamahaw is great for trolling and very easy on fuel. My Budget was in line with the purchase and the size of this boat can handle Cold Lake , or Pierce Lake with no troubles at all. Size does matter on big lakes as I have weathered one of the largest Storms that ever hit Cold Lake years ago having knowledge of this situation and a well maintained boat helps. One other mention is I will not fish with more than (4) in my boat but usually fish with one other MY WIFE.. Good Luck with your purchase
Old 04-02-2014, 03:02 PM

Just my opinion but I feel lund is over rated for the price. Smokercraft just as good if not better.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:42 AM

Default SHip Wreck Marine.....nothing new

Fifteen years ago ,ship wreck wasn't the place to go , sold my buddy a
17 ft Alumacraft with a Merc 50 ....slug o the seas . 1200 lb . Trailer

What a ship wreck .....stay away
Old 04-04-2014, 06:52 AM

Default Buying a Lund

The big price difference is an Alberta problem , dealers are gouging particularly
On Lunds
Unfortunately you have to shop ,all the prairies . The difference between
That 162. And a Lund 1675 is 3 to 4 k .....5 years down the road ,you will
See the difference ....Lund resale way better ...That IPS Lund hull is the
Best fishing hull you can buy .

The prices on kijiji on used Lunds in Alberta are nuts because ,the owners
Got taken ,at original sale ...
Old 04-04-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Seems strange that SHIPWRECK marine gets this reputation ..... lol ....... ironically that's the same dealer I was talking about in the earlier post.

Complete crooks who set a world class benchmark for poor service, deceit and thievery.
They tried to sell me a new Lund that was way over priced and when I looked at it carefully, it was a used boat.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations