Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2018, 11:20 AM

Default Poacher on Crowsnest River at Lundbreck Falls BUSTED

Yesterday, July 1, I was fishing right under the falls at Lundbreck when a bait rig got plunked in from the tourist viewing deck on the canyon rim above. I was obviously ****ed that this idiot had the nerve to;

1. Cast his line directly into the water I was fishing

2. Did the above using bait in waters where bait is restricted, C&R only

3. Continue to do so after I gave the “are you ****ing kidding me” death stare with accompanying hand/arm gestures

My first thought was to go up there and snap his rod and maybe his neck etc. but being a law abiding citizen I decided calling RAP and reporting the unlawful use of bait was the appropriate remedy to the whole unfortunate scene. No cell service at water level so I’d have to go up to the rim either way. But before I could do that, the poacher hooked into a large (22-26”) bull trout and began attempting to haul it from the pool up to the canyon rim where he was positioned. This is probably 50 feet. I immediately started yelling at him to stop. Which he didn’t. I got my net out and yelled at him to steer his line towards the net (fish was already dangling in the air at this point) hoping that some reason might prevail and that it could be safely landed and released. He refused that too. After a minute or two of yelling with no response from the poacher I got the phone out and started recording video. Once his bobber was at the end of his rod he started trying to walk backwards to pull the fish up, no longer able to reel any further. It was obviously a struggle and in the video you can see the fish go higher into the air and then lowering back down several times. Another minute or two of his stupidity passed before his line finally snapped from the friction of dragging it over the guard rail and the fish fell 20-30+ feet, hitting rock at the edge of pool and splashing back into water, probably no longer alive or certainly dying shortly thereafter.

I ran up to the canyon rim, recording again, and confronted this ***hole who, incidentally, was now trying to rig up another bare/snell hook when I tore into him about what he’d just done. As I walked away dialing RAP I could hear him asking me if I got any pictures, he actually thought I was taking photos for him to keep as souvenirs. A CO was dispatched and I got in my vehicle and followed the poacher, who was on foot, and watched where he went. The CO found him, charged him to failure to release a fish in least harmful way, and is organizing evidence to hopefully lay an additional charge for the use of bait.

If any of you are in the Lundbreck Falls stretch of the Crow watch out the for this individual and his bacon-slinging buddies- other anglers are reporting seeing this same group using bacon (or some other fatty meat) as bait the night before in the same area.

Also, despite the ease of reporting and getting an officer dispatched in our province it's often very difficult for F&W officers to get charges to stick. "beyond a reasonable doubt" is a high burden of proof, so record everything you can, reliable evidence (rather than fists lol) is the best weapon against these guys!!

PW for videos is protect our waters (no spaces). If any issues with the video links let me know

https://vimeo.com/277994734

https://vimeo.com/277995824
Old 07-02-2018, 11:42 AM

As expected, he suddenly knows nothing about regulations or how wasteful it is to risk dropping fish from that high. What better way to say thanks to your country on its birthday lol.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:07 PM

Kudos for acting on this! What a disgrace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2018, 12:45 PM

I always report infractions. Glad to hear a CO actually showed up!
Old 07-02-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbilon View Post
Yesterday, July 1, I was fishing right under the falls at Lundbreck when a bait rig got plunked in from the tourist viewing deck on the canyon rim above. I was obviously ****ed that this idiot had the nerve to;

1. Cast his line directly into the water I was fishing

2. Did the above using bait in waters where bait is restricted, C&R only

3. Continue to do so after I gave the “are you ****ing kidding me” death stare with accompanying hand/arm gestures

My first thought was to go up there and snap his rod and maybe his neck etc. but being a law abiding citizen I decided calling RAP and reporting the unlawful use of bait was the appropriate remedy to the whole unfortunate scene. No cell service at water level so I’d have to go up to the rim either way. But before I could do that, the poacher hooked into a large (22-26”) bull trout and began attempting to haul it from the pool up to the canyon rim where he was positioned. This is probably 50 feet. I immediately started yelling at him to stop. Which he didn’t. I got my net out and yelled at him to steer his line towards the net (fish was already dangling in the air at this point) hoping that some reason might prevail and that it could be safely landed and released. He refused that too. After a minute or two of yelling with no response from the poacher I got the phone out and started recording video. Once his bobber was at the end of his rod he started trying to walk backwards to pull the fish up, no longer able to reel any further. It was obviously a struggle and in the video you can see the fish go higher into the air and then lowering back down several times. Another minute or two of his stupidity passed before his line finally snapped from the friction of dragging it over the guard rail and the fish fell 20-30+ feet, hitting rock at the edge of pool and splashing back into water, probably no longer alive or certainly dying shortly thereafter.

I ran up to the canyon rim, recording again, and confronted this ***hole who, incidentally, was now trying to rig up another bare/snell hook when I tore into him about what he’d just done. As I walked away dialing RAP I could hear him asking me if I got any pictures, he actually thought I was taking photos for him to keep as souvenirs. A CO was dispatched and I got in my vehicle and followed the poacher, who was on foot, and watched where he went. The CO found him, charged him to failure to release a fish in least harmful way, and is organizing evidence to hopefully lay an additional charge for the use of bait.

If any of you are in the Lundbreck Falls stretch of the Crow watch out the for this individual and his bacon-slinging buddies- other anglers are reporting seeing this same group using bacon (or some other fatty meat) as bait the night before in the same area.

Also, despite the ease of reporting and getting an officer dispatched in our province it's often very difficult for F&W officers to get charges to stick. "beyond a reasonable doubt" is a high burden of proof, so record everything you can, reliable evidence (rather than fists lol) is the best weapon against these guys!!

PW for videos is protect our waters (no spaces). If any issues with the video links let me know

https://vimeo.com/277994734

https://vimeo.com/277995824
I know what I would have told you with your attitude ranting and Raven I speak no English so sorry sir
Old 07-02-2018, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
I know what I would have told you with your attitude ranting and Raven I speak no English so sorry sir
The regs inform " Never confront a suspected poacher/polluter " but when RAMBO/TERMINATOR is the observer? Then what
Old 07-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Cant watch your video

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2018, 03:19 PM

Are you allowed to fish right under the falls?
I thought you had to stay a certain distance away?
Old 07-02-2018, 03:51 PM

Infuriating.

Kudos to you for keeping your cool. If we don't stand up to this kind of harmful nonsense, it will proliferate.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:05 PM
Banned

Good on you! We need this to happen more often
Old 07-02-2018, 05:46 PM

Absolutly disgusting behavior, thank you for calling RAP and dealing with this scum bag poacher.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:46 PM

Oops...I see the pw.

That ***hat knew exactly what he was doing was illegal
Old 07-02-2018, 08:04 PM

Good on you for doing the right thing! My stomach turned watching that Bull Trout trying to get off. So sad.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:21 PM

Few things in this world more rewarding than pinching a poacher!
Old 07-03-2018, 08:06 AM

Thanks for doing that.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:32 AM

lots of this type of scum out there good job
Old 07-03-2018, 08:34 AM

Incredible, I hope they nail him good
Old 07-03-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
The regs inform " Never confront a suspected poacher/polluter " but when RAMBO/TERMINATOR is the observer? Then what
Lol- I completely agree with following the regs/guidelines set out by the authorities governing these scenarios, but some situations call for a bit more ambitious approach in my opinion.

I rescued a drowning victim from the Bow river several years back during runoff and was told, in a scolding way, by the team from the fire rescue boat (which arrived about 10min later) never to enter the water to attempt to save someone from drowning. When I asked what the outcome for the victim would have been if we waited another 10min for their arrival they (not surprisingly) had no reply- They just quietly shuttled me back to the other side of river. Maybe to minimize any more attention being drawn to how the rescue really happened and who actually saved the guy?

It was ironic to me that after the recent incident with the poacher the Province was happy to offer a reward for putting in effort to protect/save wildlife. But when I saved a human life it seemed like the priority to remove me from the scene, and maybe details of the ensuing report? Maybe I was viewed as threat to the reputation/competence of the fire rescue team? It doesn't matter either way, and I am NOT recommending that bystanders endanger their own lives to attempt open water rescues or suggesting that people confront poachers. In these two particular situations I was comfortable with the risk(s) involved and had exit plan etc. if things didn't go smoothly.

Those of us who care about protecting our waters and helping the folks who unfortunately have accidents in/around them don't do it for the reward, so it makes no difference at the end of the day if one authority offers a reward and another tries to erase your involvement altogether. I have good friends who are Fire Dept and have a ton of respect for them and their colleagues. They will rescue a hell of a lot more people than I ever will, so I accept their choice in handling it with no animosity whatsoever. Most of all just I'm happy that this young guy was able to live another day, but must say there was a sweet satisfaction to busting that poacher that is hard to beat
Old 07-03-2018, 08:59 AM

Thank you all for your comments! It's good to know that the desire to put stop to this kind of abuse of our waters is passionately shared by a lot of good people.

There was a comment from "last minute" that I wasn't sure how to interpret;

"I know what I would have told you with your attitude ranting and Raven I speak no English so sorry sir"

Anyone know what he was getting at with this?
Old 07-03-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here?
Old 07-03-2018, 09:22 AM
Banned

good of you to help save a human life , and also good to stop an illegal catch of a beautiful fish ! BUT Your problem was you assumed it was YOUR water ,Your pool and you assumed the person knew he was in the wrong, Lets be honest here NOT EVERYONE is up to snuff on rules , Although they should be ! But a more controlled approach at the time , like running up to the top and explaining he was poaching may have worked just as well BEFORE he caught a fish , and also you have no way of knowing that the fish YOU catch and release all survive !
But I,m sure the person got the message when he was charged !
So other than losing it you did do well!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
good of you to help save a human life , and also good to stop an illegal catch of a beautiful fish ! BUT Your problem was you assumed it was YOUR water ,Your pool and you assumed the person knew he was in the wrong, Lets be honest here NOT EVERYONE is up to snuff on rules , Although they should be ! But a more controlled approach at the time , like running up to the top and explaining he was poaching may have worked just as well BEFORE he caught a fish , and also you have no way of knowing that the fish YOU catch and release all survive !
His response was fine it was the dirt bag poachers behavior that wasnt. It is all our water what is your point? Im glad the OP was there and not an apologist like you, if you dont know the rules you have absolutely no business being out fishing, no excuses, ecspecially in this day and age of information availability. Unreal. Again thank you OP your response was perfect, hopefully the guy gets punished to the full extent of the law. Shame on him for treating our protected provincial fish like that, absolutely no respect for our resource.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:26 AM

parfleche, Thank you for commenting, while I get where you're coming from it unfortunately sounds like you're arguing that I'm someone who assumes too much and has a problem controlling myself. If after watching the videos and reading through this thread that is your conclusion, then I unfortunately have to take you for someone how is either severely lacking in judgement, or who is simply a forum troll trying to aggravate things. But am going to ASSUME for now that you're neither.

You don't have to be very well-versed in the rules & regs to know that you don't cast on top of someone's line from above them. Is that something you generally do? I'm not even going to get into how wrong attempting to land a large bull trout on a viewing deck 50 feet above the water is, ASSUMING you realize that even a complete idiot would know that's something you never do, especially in C&R only waters?

Lets be clear, when I did approach him and raised my voice it was because of the horrible abuse he subjected a protected species of wild fish to, not because he cast into "MY" water. Did you watch the videos? Because I'm sure if you did, and if you care about our wild bull trout at all, then the last thing you'd be commenting on here is what you think was a lack of "controlled approach". If you think what I did constitutes "losing it" then consider that, given the severity of what he was doing, he's lucky it was me and not someone with violent tendencies who was in that pool. It could have ended much worse for him and I'm sure it has for other poachers. Plenty of guys out there who would "lose it" much more severely than you think I did.

As for catch and release, do you actually believe he intended to release that fish in the event he landed it up there? ASSUMING the line didn't snap, let's review his options once he's removed the bait hook, which was surely way down the trout's throat, while it now flops around on the steel grate;

1. Pick it up and drop the fish 50 feet to the pool below, by now its been out of the water for at least 4-5 minutes. Fish is either already dead, dies from impact, or drowns because of it's state of exhaustion once back in the water.

2. Attempt to carry the fish down to the water (poacher is in flip-flops) by descending the steep path and over slippery steep rocks, probably adding another 2-3 minutes to the clock. Fish suffocates well before it gets to the water.

In either of these cases their is no "release". I'm going to suggest a third option, ASSSUMING you have the ability to apply some logic and reason here and not just offer poorly thought out commentary, and its that he never intended to release the fish. I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on that? Do you think maybe he had other plans for that fish than a safe release?

I'm also curious if you actually practice catch and release fishing yourself? I'll be honest, you do strongly come across as an avid bait chucker, but I'll assume there's more to you than that. And while you're absolutely right that there is no way to know 100% that every fish we safely and properly release will survive, it seems like you're very accepting of people being completely ignorant of how to properly release a fish, and fishing ethics in general. It also seems like you're suggesting it's the responsibility of knowledgeable/rule abiding anglers to try to educate poachers or totally ignorant anglers on what they're doing wrong. I'm taking the time to educate you on the topic right now but don't expect that others will do the same.

Friendly wake-up call here for you parfleche; its up to you to know the rules of the water you're fishing before you start fishing them. If someone doesn't know they're poaching then it doesn't make them any less a poacher. It just makes them an ignorant poacher. But yeah if you insist on trying to show poachers what they're doing wrong feel free to print this out and carry copies of it with while fishing, just make sure you're "up to snuff" on the right techniques etc for C&R first.

Quote:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:33 AM

Thanks Jigger, appreciate your obvious understanding of the situation and taking the time to share a worthwhile comment on it!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised to find some individuals commenting on here who are as ignorant as the poacher that day, but hey- the internet is probably more accessible than most of our rivers and lakes are! Would be nice if these idiots just stuck to their computers and left the water alone altogether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
His response was fine it was the dirt bag poachers behavior that wasnt. It is all our water what is your point? Im glad the OP was there and not an apologist like you, if you dont know the rules you have absolutely no business being out fishing, no excuses, ecspecially in this day and age of information availability. Unreal. Again thank you OP your response was perfect, hopefully the guy gets punished to the full extent of the law. Shame on him for treating our protected provincial fish like that, absolutely no respect for our resource.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:52 AM

Default Kudos to you

Good on you for acting on this and having the wherewithal to video his and your actions. I didn't find your interaction with him to be "losing it" at all. There are always options on how to deal with a situation but the main thing is you did something. Good on ya.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
ANYONE who is not "up to snuff" on the rules has NO DAMN BUSINESS casting a line until they damn well are "up to snuff" on the rules.period.

Unbelievable.

Good job bmbilon, and thank you.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:11 PM

OP you are to be congratulated. I think you controlled yourself real well. Im not sure id have had such great control and im a old fart with a bad heart that cant backup my mouth anymore like i could and did back in the day. Good on ya.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:56 PM

Videos are currently set to private so I cant watch them. Good for calling RAP but leave the confrontation to the officer. You mentioned he was rigging his line again but your story reads like he took off after you "tore a strip off him". If the officer caught him while he was fishing its possible more charges could have been laid. Also if you lost the suspect the officer could have lost the ability to press any charges at all. The suspect could have also become violent if your attitude at the time reads the way this story does.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-03-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Videos are currently set to private so I cant watch them. Good for calling RAP but leave the confrontation to the officer. You mentioned he was rigging his line again but your story reads like he took off after you "tore a strip off him". If the officer caught him while he was fishing its possible more charges could have been laid. Also if you lost the suspect the officer could have lost the ability to press any charges at all. The suspect could have also become violent if your attitude at the time reads the way this story does.

Password is protect our waters (no spaces)
Old 07-03-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbilon View Post
Password is protect our waters (no spaces)
The links never gave me the option to enter a password the first time, seems to be working now.
Still from what the videos show, could be very hard to make a case stick in court. Hopefully it does but still leave the confrontation to CO's

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."