Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2018, 08:37 PM

Default Bow island,askow,forks / sturgeon

I will be out in this area coming up this week. I have never fished this spot before but am going to give it a go for some sturgeon. I don’t want to sit on shore with a bunch of people so I am planning on taking my paddle board and paddling. Now here is my question should I go up the bow river a ways or up the old man river a ways or down from the forks? Is it deep water I am in search of? Slow moving water these fish linger in? If I find deep water in that area what is deep? Is 6-8 feet consider deep in that river?
Any help is apreaciated I would really like to hook into one of these fish.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:22 AM

can anyone point me in the direction of how to get to this campground by the river. wanting to head down next week for a few days
thanks
Old 07-12-2018, 03:31 PM

East of Taber on Hgy 3 at Grassy lakes just turn north at the sign. Easy.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:31 PM

Awesome, thanks. Never been down that way and have a few days with the wife and kids out of town so I figured i'd give it a try

What's the access like, will I need my truck or can I get away with the wife's little suv/crossover thing. I'm guessing the travel trailer is out of the question.

What are the odds it being full mid week next week? If so any suggestions on close/on the watercamping

Thanks
Old 07-12-2018, 06:42 PM

Crossover will be fine as well as a trailer if it has decent clearance. I have never seen the campground full.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
Awesome, thanks. Never been down that way and have a few days with the wife and kids out of town so I figured i'd give it a try

What's the access like, will I need my truck or can I get away with the wife's little suv/crossover thing. I'm guessing the travel trailer is out of the question.

What are the odds it being full mid week next week? If so any suggestions on close/on the watercamping

Thanks
Hwy 3 to Grassy Lake, you have to weave through the outskirts of town. The left at T intersection, then turn right (North) out of town on rge rd 13-3 1.5 miles, right (east) 1/2 mile on twp Rd 11-0, turn left at rge Rd 13-2, follow for 4 miles north. It gets a bit tricky after the cattle guard, turn left, then stay to the right. Pass the registration boxes, go down to the right follow the road until you see the outhouses. Scout around the area for where you want to put in. See attached picture.

Could go either way getting a spot, midweek you should be fine, weekend get busy. The MD added a few more spots, last year, make sure you register or you will be fined/removed, box at entrance. Access is fine.

All directions have good fishing, just look for holes, it gets really shallow down the ssk river, and Rocky up the other two, You should have no issue with your paddle board. Either anchor up at a hole, or drift along bouncing off bottom depending on the target. Lots of species there, sturgeon, walleye, sauger, goldeye, burbot, pike, suckers. More details on your target will give more details on how to fish them. Pm me for more details.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2018, 06:31 PM

I was out there for a few hours one morning. Never had a bite but something was defiantly eating off all my bait I am guessing good eye or suckers. I forgot my battery for my fish finder so finding the deep holes was not easy for the paddle board. I was using a sturgeon rig and that hook laying on the bottom was not optimal. Other guys out there say a HD Pickerel rig works better. The trip was still interesting because I saw a couple sturgeon clear the surface jumping. So you know they are down there.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:20 PM

If a fella was targeting burbot what would the advice be for this location?

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 09-30-2018, 06:09 AM

I have had good luck with worms on a P rig in the dark on the red deer I’m sure it would be similar. Who knows what you will catch though.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:15 AM

That would be alright! The red deer is much closer lol. This time of year?

Old 09-30-2018, 09:19 AM

It was this time of year a bit earlyer by a couple weeks, one year i caught a whole bunch next year same time none so I’m not sure what had changed.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:09 PM

Thanks! There's gotta be some in that neck of the woods I'm thinking. I'll post back results.