Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2018, 12:26 PM

Default Toxic burbies/ling/mariah/eelpout/lawyers myth

Hey guys,

I want to know where the heck it ever came out that burbot had organs that were toxic if you cut into them when cleaning, or the skin....

I have heard this word of mouth thing over the years and yet there is nothing to substantiate this claim - unless i am completely wrong?!?

But i will say this though which had me a little concerned this winter; the day or 2 after cleaning about ten of them my one hand that was handling fish and had the knife guard glove was starting to swell and tingle.... then for about a few days after that i was losing a whole bunch of skin off that hand too. Now everything is fine, however i was starting to believe the myths a little at that point. On a side note its teeth may have slightly penetrated that hand too while removing a hook, but it was way more inflammed than ive seen when i got nicked by a pike or wally....

Let me know what you think on the myth, and if theres any correlation....?
Old 04-06-2018, 12:49 PM

It's simply a myth. You certainly could have gotten an infection from cutting your hand on its teeth, though.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
Hey guys,

I want to know where the heck it ever came out that burbot had organs that were toxic if you cut into them when cleaning, or the skin....

I have heard this word of mouth thing over the years and yet there is nothing to substantiate this claim - unless i am completely wrong?!?

But i will say this though which had me a little concerned this winter; the day or 2 after cleaning about ten of them my one hand that was handling fish and had the knife guard glove was starting to swell and tingle.... then for about a few days after that i was losing a whole bunch of skin off that hand too. Now everything is fine, however i was starting to believe the myths a little at that point. On a side note its teeth may have slightly penetrated that hand too while removing a hook, but it was way more inflammed than ive seen when i got nicked by a pike or wally....

Let me know what you think on the myth, and if theres any correlation....?
Blue green algae toxins can concentrate in their livers which could certainly make you sick if your eating the livers. Not sure how long the toxins last in their livers but I would guess the toxins should be gone by now.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:56 PM

Cleaning Ling from the top down and not penetrating the gut / liver is more a reality that there is no meat to be had from the rib area anyway.

Do not know if cutting the liver will taint the meat similar to cutting a gall bladder on a moose / deer / elk, but don't want to find out anyway.

One thing for sure, they have a lot of innards.

Drewski
Old 04-06-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Cleaning Ling from the top down and not penetrating the gut / liver is more a reality that there is no meat to be had from the rib area anyway.

Do not know if cutting the liver will taint the meat similar to cutting a gall bladder on a moose / deer / elk, but don't want to find out anyway.

One thing for sure, they have a lot of innards.

Drewski
Actually that was one thing i was able to do. The belly meat is totally fine to eat and very eat to get off once you take the back straps off. You just slice along the belly under the throat and then pull from the head down to the tail and it all comes off nicely. No waste at all.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:24 PM

You don’t want to rupture any fish’s gall bladder while filleting. The bile inside is indeed toxic.

Burbot doesn’t even compare to the bile from a Pike that’s been dead for a day. That smell could be weaponized..