Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 05:56 PM

Default Quick Load and Burn Rates

Wondering how many QL users are adjusting their powder burn rate to match their chronograph results. I found that quite a few powder Ba's are off by 10% or more with a lot of different loads.
I understand QL uses default burn rate values but judging from some of the QL loads/velocities I see posted on the Web it appears a lot of users are taking these QL values as gospel. It's almost impossible to come up with a viable load using QL without using a chronograph and adjusting the burn rate value accordingly. I now verify every start load with a velocity/pressure check and everything works out as it should with any powder I use in any given cartridge. .. just a caution.

Last edited by Salavee; 08-14-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:36 PM
Banned

For one, QL doesn't have an input for the primer used. I have chronied loads comparing small rifle primers and small rifle magnums. My data shows typically 40 fps faster with mag primers in my 6BR.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
For one, QL doesn't have an input for the primer used. I have chronied loads comparing small rifle primers and small rifle magnums. My data shows typically 40 fps faster with mag primers in my 6BR.
I think that can be overcome by adjusting the burn rate with chronographed loads using the different primers. Kind of a pain though.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I think that can be overcome by adjusting the burn rate with chronographed loads using the different primers. Kind of a pain though.
I understand where you come from in this regard. However in my situation, I'd rather shoot and let the targets speak the results.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I understand where you come from in this regard. However in my situation, I'd rather shoot and let the targets speak the results.
For sure. We don't need QL to produce a decent target but for guys with too much time on their hands and like to dink around, I like to know why a load did what it did and how it did it. For eg, I try like crazy to get single digit SD's with every cartridge I load for. Not that it matters any, but just to see if it can be done. Often it can't but I will have a bunch of old Cannon powders for sale soon.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:32 PM

imho, QL is a waist of time.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
imho, QL is a waist of time.
If you don't use it correctly, it's a total waste of time. Otherwise ,a lot of reloaders find it very effective for load development.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:18 AM

Water capacity of cases has a huge effect on the velocity data that is spit out. And if you like to waste components and accurate barrel life I guess quick load would be a complete waste of time.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 08-15-2017, 01:55 AM

It may not be worth it to some but I think QL is the best re-loading tool available. It's not perfect by any means but it beats whatever is in second place by a country mile IMHO.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
It may not be worth it to some but I think QL is the best re-loading tool available. It's not perfect by any means but it beats whatever is in second place by a country mile IMHO.
Once again, I agree with you Salavee. At times, I wish to work a load with a powder not listed in the manuals. Quick Load is a great tool to do such things. Even with powders listed in the manuals, I like to input the various charges and powders listed in the manuals and oversee the pressure curves that it generates. Of course it may not be the "be all - end all of reloading", but it surely is a great tool for those that understand the meanings of a few simple words "common sense". For those shooters that only fire a half dozen rounds a year, yes it's useless. For those of us that burn powder by the pound, great tool. As for myself, I really like to compare ballistic software result to those of real range time.