Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-04-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post

The way I read this you can shoot in your yard, is that correct.
That would be correct but as Lefty eluded, don't ruin it for the rest of us ok?
Old 06-04-2018, 10:19 PM

Before we had kids when I was home alone I would shoot across the living room, down the hallway, through the laundry room, into and across the garage. I could get 21m and it worked well enough. Then one day my D loop let go mid draw. I punched myself in the nose and the arrow hit the rino block because I tend to draw pointing at what I’m shooting. I gave up on tied on D loops that day, have shot an endless loop ever since and have never had another failure.
If I had punched an arrow through the garage wall I would of accepted my stupidity but I wouldn’t shoot in the yard as there are to many things that could have an arrow land outside of your fence. YMMV
Old 06-11-2018, 10:59 AM

Default Big Derail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
Lol! “Coffin blind” eh!
I did see another use for the coffin the other day while on a fishing trip with the kids... Just brilliant!

(the picture is not of the one I saw, but pretty much the same... Pulled by a matching silver hearse...)
Old 06-11-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
I shoot in my yard because that’s what I have taken from that and have yet to have any issues and I like in ellerslie in Edmonton
Thats a Calgary bylaw you are using to justify shooting in Edmonton. Does Edmonton have the same bylaw??
Old 06-28-2018, 08:41 PM

I've always looked at it as in the hunting regulations you aren't allowed to discharge a weapon within 200 yards of a residence without permission. That would be a lot of neighbours you'd have to ask...
Old 07-10-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Just be warned, almost every municipality has laws against discharging weapons within city limits. In Strathcona county for example you can not even shoot a pellet gun or slingshot in the prescribed no shooting zones. Even hearing they are cracking down on airsoft guns as well.
Well that’s good, because a bow isn’t a weapon, it’s a tool
Old 07-10-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
This is from the Alberta Hunting Regulations definitions....

Weapon - a firearm or any other device that propels a projectile by means of an explosion, spring, air, gas, string, wire or elastic material or any combination of those things.

So as per the Alberta regulation a bow would follow the same 200 yard rule as a firearm.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
It all down to local bylaws and how they define "weapon"

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-12-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
It all down to local bylaws and how they define "weapon"
Local bylaws can not supersede provincial law.

Example.

Edmonton has a Bylaw that prevents the discharge of firearm within city limits. This Bylaw adds to the Provincial 200 yard rule. They do this since there are area (golf courses, parks) where a person could be 200 yards from an occupied building.

Edmonton could not write a bylaw that stated it is legal to discharge a firearm in city limits because this would conflict with the provincial regulation. So bylaws can add to a provincial law but can not conflict or supersede a provincial law.

If a golf course wants to use a firearm for control pest within city limits they have to obtain permission from the Municipal Bylaw office, not the Police.
And in that agreement, it will state that they will not contravene the Provincial 200 yard rule while performing pest control.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Local bylaws can not supersede provincial law.

Example.

Edmonton has a Bylaw that prevents the discharge of firearm within city limits. This Bylaw adds to the Provincial 200 yard rule. They do this since there are area (golf courses, parks) where a person could be 200 yards from an occupied building.

Edmonton could not write a bylaw that stated it is legal to discharge a firearm in city limits because this would conflict with the provincial regulation. So bylaws can add to a provincial law but can not conflict or supersede a provincial law.

If a golf course wants to use a firearm for control pest within city limits they have to obtain permission from the Municipal Bylaw office, not the Police.
And in that agreement, it will state that they will not contravene the Provincial 200 yard rule while performing pest control.
Well Strathcona County has done it, there are prescribed no shooting zones all over the county. Its confusing to many, even the police that enforce it. Many places that meet the 200 yard requirements were one could safely discharge a firearm but are off limits thanks to the county. While you may be able to challenge it in court, is it worth it to fling a few arrows in your garage? People have been charged and convicted under these bylaws. My previous neighbor received a large fine for shooting his pellet gun out the window of his home. You may not end up with a criminal record over it but it will still cost you.
There are also many what Ill call blanket laws that could apply as well, such as those that state something like"...... dangerous to the public...... " that could get you in trouble as well. Remember, it only takes one arrow to leave your property to get you in a world of legal troubles. The snowflakes are everywhere, it only takes one phone call from them to cause you problems.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-12-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Well Strathcona County has done it, there are prescribed no shooting zones all over the county. Its confusing to many, even the police that enforce it. Many places that meet the 200 yard requirements were one could safely discharge a firearm but are off limits thanks to the county. While you may be able to challenge it in court, is it worth it to fling a few arrows in your garage? People have been charged and convicted under these bylaws. My previous neighbor received a large fine for shooting his pellet gun out the window of his home. You may not end up with a criminal record over it but it will still cost you.
There are also many what Ill call blanket laws that could apply as well, such as those that state something like"...... dangerous to the public...... " that could get you in trouble as well. Remember, it only takes one arrow to leave your property to get you in a world of legal troubles. The snowflakes are everywhere, it only takes one phone call from them to cause you problems.
Yes, that is what I am saying.

This is how it hierarchy of Canadian law works and in this case...

1. Criminal Section 86(1), Careless Use of a Firearm or Section 88 Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose.
2. Provincial Regulations. For Alberta 200 yard rule and no discharge at night, different in other provinces.
3. Municipal Bylaw. Different for each municipality.

So in the case of Strathcona County, they added to the restrictions by way of a bylaw and restricted firearm use even in area where the 200 yard rule can be adhered to. What the bylaw could not do is say that the 200 yard as minimum was not in effect. The same the provincial statue could not say that Sec 86 of the C.C. does not apply.

So if someone is shooting a bow in Alberta they must first adhere to the provincial regulation of 200 yards and then apply any bylaws that are specific to their area. Where I live in Leduc County there is no bylaws in relation to firearm/weapon use so I only have to apply the 200 yard rule.