Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 02:49 PM

Default Meat Grinder in Cold Storage

I want to store my meat grinder in my unheated garage. I plan on bringing it into the house a couple days before usage to avoid damage. Will this work okay or is there another reason I’m missing why I shouldn’t store it in the cold? What do you guys do? Thanks.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:00 PM

Default storage

I give mine a light spray of Pam and store in a Rubber Maid tub in the seacan. No rust or problems in 6 years.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:14 AM

Default cold storage

Every butcher shop in north america runs their grinders in refrigerated areas. Not to mention that I HOPE your product is well chilled/ semi-frozen going in. What's the problem?
Old 01-27-2021, 09:08 AM

My first concern is humidity. I like the idea of a rubbermaid container to keep the unit sealed. My second concern is something I might not think of; I was going to store my sausage stuffer in the garage as well but it uses hydraulic fluid that cannot freeze.
I like to hear about other's setups and incorporate the good ones.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:26 PM

I leave the Hobart in the cold. If I want to use it, I plug it in and run it without the head on it for 5 or so min to warm the oil up and get it moving. Put it together, and feed it slowly for a min, then have at her.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBob View Post
My first concern is humidity. I like the idea of a rubbermaid container to keep the unit sealed. My second concern is something I might not think of; I was going to store my sausage stuffer in the garage as well but it uses hydraulic fluid that cannot freeze.
I like to hear about other's setups and incorporate the good ones.
What kind of hydraulic fluid does it use? Water? If it’s a petroleum-based fluid it shouldn’t freeze.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:48 AM

Default Sausage Stuffer

I have a Kitchener 10 lbs stainless steel stuffer. One of the warnings state, " NEVER store or leave the machine at a temperature lower than 32F (0C)." Not sure where I got the idea that it had to do with the hydraulic fluid but that is all I can think of.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I have a Kitchener 10 lbs stainless steel stuffer. One of the warnings state, " NEVER store or leave the machine at a temperature lower than 32F (0C)." Not sure where I got the idea that it had to do with the hydraulic fluid but that is all I can think of.
I’d go with that warning....it clearly states Never.
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 01-28-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I just googled it. If I’m looking at the correct one it is not hydraulic. It is a stew style piston. I can’t think of any reason why they couldn’t be stored at freezing temps. They likely aren’t transported on heated trailers in the winter to stores to sell them. This has really piqued my interest. I wonder if they say not to store it at below 0 so that you don’t pull it out cold and have your piston lube and meat freeze to the hopper causing piston damage maybe? I’m really curious now.