Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 05:51 AM

Default This isn't your Dad's Lincoln Welder

I have been watching videos on how things get built in what you might call primitive conditions and ways. And I'm always amazed at the ingenuity people have, to make what they need. Because they can't pop down to Canadian Tire and buy it. This multi tap welder is impressive, for the fact it works.

https://youtu.be/2bC0Vmy3niA

Not going to rush out an buy one, but it's a step up from some welding I saw done in rural Baja Mexico. I saw a guy there with a shop beside the road, when it was time to weld he tossed a rebar hook with an insulated wire over the high tension line over his shack, and basically burned rod with 14,400 V. Crazy.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-26-2021, 06:37 AM

Default Link on Amazon?

Can probably buy this on Amazon or Flea Bay cheap.Ha.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:34 AM

Pretty cool! I could never understand how people can squat like that, wish I could. My grandpa built his own gas driven welder from scratch.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:45 AM

When you are not in first world , you are force to adapt and improve. A lot of the thing we have here we can take for granted and insulated from real world problems .... let just start to say if they don’t have sit down toilet ...or toilet paper .
Old 01-26-2021, 01:53 PM

Really impressive - I'm guessing that the manufacturing process might not be blessed by the QHSE department
Old 01-26-2021, 02:43 PM

Wow. This guy(or his boss) understands what’s required. He runs bare wires into a 220 wall plug and arcs it, guys got huge nuts. After 2030 he’s the only guy welding due to not following rules and using carbon binder leaflets.....
Old 01-26-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
Really impressive - I'm guessing that the manufacturing process might not be blessed by the QHSE department
Probably no blessing, safe bet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmc View Post
Wow. This guy(or his boss) understands what’s required. He runs bare wires into a 220 wall plug and arcs it, guys got huge nuts. After 2030 he’s the only guy welding due to not following rules and using carbon binder leaflets.....
You wonder how people survive. When I lived in Mexico, I saw a boom truck with a big water tank on trailer behind it. The guy was up pressure washing the glass insulators, because all the dust made them arc and fuse after a while.

But the thing was, it wasn't an insulated boom unit, and it was 25,500 V if I remember correctly. And there was water running everywhere. Big nuts, as you say.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-26-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I have been watching videos on how things get built in what you might call primitive conditions and ways. And I'm always amazed at the ingenuity people have, to make what they need. Because they can't pop down to Canadian Tire and buy it. This multi tap welder is impressive, for the fact it works.

https://youtu.be/2bC0Vmy3niA

Not going to rush out an buy one, but it's a step up from some welding I saw done in rural Baja Mexico. I saw a guy there with a shop beside the road, when it was time to weld he tossed a rebar hook with an insulated wire over the high tension line over his shack, and basically burned rod with 14,400 V. Crazy.
Down five!!
Old 01-26-2021, 09:35 PM

I was mesmerized - but few things came to mind ......

- what would the safety officer say about no JSA's or steel toes footwear and PPE? lol

- the ingenuity of this guy is amazing

- I could hire this guy to make me a nuclear bomb .... lol
Old 01-27-2021, 03:59 AM

Very impressive. But really, wouldn’t it be easier and quicker to fly to North America, get a work visa, get a job, buy a welder and take it home?!?!
Old 01-27-2021, 11:33 AM

This guy does understand how coils work to increase voltage, but lets face it, he has no idea of what the actual voltage output of each setting is anyway.

He really should consider putting a fan in the casing to cool it down.

That machine will not last long without proper cooling, but then again, it probably has no warranty either!!

Drewski