Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 01:27 PM

Default How to Paint Your Own Jigs From Yours Truly!

https://youtu.be/RwmfM4CNDTY

I had this paint kicking around for a while so I decided to do my own version of how to paint your jigs! I know many of you may already know how to do this but for anyone else that is learning I hope you find this useful.

If you guys do find any of my content valuable please take the time to subscribe. It means the world to me.

Thank you!

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-21-2021, 02:08 PM

Cool video. Been enjoying your channel lately, subscribed!
Old 01-21-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spin View Post
Cool video. Been enjoying your channel lately, subscribed!
Thank you. I'm going to try hard to make it more of a channel you can go to for fun and learning at the same time.

I appreciate the support very much

Respect wildlife
Old 01-21-2021, 08:46 PM

I make and paint my own jigs as well. You should give a fluid bed a try. You get a really even paint coverage and your powder paint will do further. Check them out on YouTube. Really easy to make cheaply.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:11 AM

I was looking into a fluid bed but I dont paint enough volume to justify needing to make one.

I started paint jigs mainly for burbot fishing.

Respect wildlife
Old 01-24-2021, 03:27 PM

watched your video so decided to give it a try. Picked up some paint and jigs from TFH yesterday. Results I got were mixed.
The painted jigs were looking good before I put them in the oven to bake, but it appears the paint liquefied and partially dripped off the jigs. Made a mess of my oven.

Have you encountered this? Sorta thinking I baked them too long (20 mins) or too hot (350F) or a combo of both.

Also when coating other than white, say green or orange, do you do a base coat of white first?

Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinFwt View Post
watched your video so decided to give it a try. Picked up some paint and jigs from TFH yesterday. Results I got were mixed.
The painted jigs were looking good before I put them in the oven to bake, but it appears the paint liquefied and partially dripped off the jigs. Made a mess of my oven.

Have you encountered this? Sorta thinking I baked them too long (20 mins) or too hot (350F) or a combo of both.

Also when coating other than white, say green or orange, do you do a base coat of white first?

Thoughts?
Hey Winfwt.

Sorry for you experience! I haven't had that issue with the oven. I would adjust the baking time to 15 minutes and If possible raise the rack higher if possible.

Manufacture just says to dip and does not mention anything about base coating. So When I need the color to come through I just double dip. (dip heat,dip and heat again.)

I hope this help. You can even adjust to 10 minutes. I have tried baking at 10 minutes and it seems just as solid.

Respect wildlife
Old 01-24-2021, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the reply Huy. I will make some of the adjustments you suggest and try another batch.

Cheers,
Win
Old 01-25-2021, 06:22 PM

I use a heat gun to do mine. It’s quick, easy and no mess. You can get one at Walmart for $20. I stick in my work bench view so my hands are free. Use needle nose pliers to hold jig head over high heat or 15-20 seconds. Dip quickly in paint and then back over heat for 5 seconds.