Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Was there all day today. Seen 4 smaller suv out there. Then a half ton pickup pulled his shack out. He then posted on Facebook that where his shack is sitting is 11.5” of good ice on 75’ of water.
He was out farther than me. Where I was was 14” of ice over 70’ of water.
How was the bite? Not sure if we are going to set up there or out from the marina next weekend overnight. Knew some guys at the marina today that got 9 or 10 and lost about the same.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Was there all day today. Seen 4 smaller suv out there. Then a half ton pickup pulled his shack out. He then posted on Facebook that where his shack is sitting is 11.5” of good ice on 75’ of water.
He was out farther than me. Where I was was 14” of ice over 70’ of water.
How was the fishing?
Old 01-09-2021, 07:49 PM

Fishing was slow today. Everyone we talked to said same. Seemed like most people got a fish or two though. Hope the bite picks up some tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Was out yesterday on this beauty of a lake...TC Moto Lead Free Kim’s Watermelon 1 oz. Total Weight....Lead Free Chartreuse Perch 1.4 oz. Total Weight.....Len Thompsons #2 custom lure...Jaw Jacker with a large herring and man we had a day..the TC Moto's had either sucker belly on or a small herring... took a bit but from 1pm-3pm we were very busy....the secret was to sit back and enjoy a steak sammich...lots of hits...lost a few at the hole but managed 8 up out of the depths...140' of water...trick was to bang the bejesus out of the bottom then reel up to 120' to entice the chase...11" of ice which in one week thickened up from 7".... I believe in getting away from the little ice villages that pop up.... We enjoyed a beautiful sunset packing up....-17 this morning so the ice is getting thicker...lakers beware

IMG_4052.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

IMG_4041.jpg

IMG_4053.jpg

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-10-2021, 05:22 PM

Managed to get 17 Lake Trout up today in about 3.5 hours on a single rod using no bait at all. The best bite time seemed to be from 11:30am to about 12:15pm. Hope everyone else enjoyed the fishing this weekend!
Old 01-10-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Was out yesterday on this beauty of a lake...TC Moto Lead Free Kim’s Watermelon 1 oz. Total Weight....Lead Free Chartreuse Perch 1.4 oz. Total Weight.....Len Thompsons #2 custom lure...Jaw Jacker with a large herring and man we had a day..the TC Moto's had either sucker belly on or a small herring... took a bit but from 1pm-3pm we were very busy....the secret was to sit back and enjoy a steak sammich...lots of hits...lost a few at the hole but managed 8 up out of the depths...140' of water...trick was to bang the bejesus out of the bottom then reel up to 120' to entice the chase...11" of ice which in one week thickened up from 7".... I believe in getting away from the little ice villages that pop up.... We enjoyed a beautiful sunset packing up....-17 this morning so the ice is getting thicker...lakers beware

Attachment 170081

Attachment 170082

Attachment 170083

Attachment 170084

Nicely done. Thats a great day.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
Managed to get 17 Lake Trout up today in about 3.5 hours on a single rod using no bait at all. The best bite time seemed to be from 11:30am to about 12:15pm. Hope everyone else enjoyed the fishing this weekend!
what was this magical lure you were using? I might need to add it to our already overwhelming collection

Old 01-11-2021, 02:41 PM

Default Garnet

Wondering if anyone is going as far as garnet, from the provincial park. Or is everyone still mostly in French bay. Probably heading up in the morning for a couple days. Will be quadding on. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:45 PM

some have crossed over on sleds...I am going out tomorrow on the quad and scoot the perimeter of French bay...once I get over I will drill and verify ice thickness...yup I hate the pucker factor until I know the thickness then I am good to go.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:11 PM

Default Garnet

Yup it’s been a mild winter. Usually by now you could head out off the pp and go straight towards the fingers without to much of a worry, (On a quad). That’s not a bad idea though to go around French bay and come out that way. Mabye I’ll try out off the ski hill in the morning and when the bight slows down I’ll make my way out around the point that way. Thanks 58thecat, might see you out there.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
what was this magical lure you were using? I might need to add it to our already overwhelming collection
Actually the lure isn't really important, sonar is a must. They will basically chase anything. I managed 28 lake trout today but my sonar took a turn for the worst before my day was over :[ Next few days are going to be rough !
Old 01-11-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Actually the lure isn't really important, sonar is a must. They will basically chase anything. I managed 28 lake trout today but my sonar took a turn for the worst before my day was over :[ Next few days are going to be rough !
Better empty your p.m. box

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Sonar is a good think to have, location is important, I have sat on the same areas and it was just fine tuning as in changing up the presentation to entice the bite...sometimes spoons, sometimes jigs, sometimes just bait in which the jaw jacker wins the day or just something as suttle as Color change....fish the various depths....ohhh if your on them they will chase but getting to bite may require suttle changes....the lure is a very important part of the equation to catching.
Go to crappy tire and get a new sonar

Old 01-11-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecap View Post
Yup it’s been a mild winter. Usually by now you could head out off the pp and go straight towards the fingers without to much of a worry, (On a quad). That’s not a bad idea though to go around French bay and come out that way. Mabye I’ll try out off the ski hill in the morning and when the bight slows down I’ll make my way out around the point that way. Thanks 58thecat, might see you out there.
Red Honda quad towing a black sled...im the fella that waves at everyone

Hope ya nail them

Old 01-11-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Sonar is a good think to have, location is important, I have sat on the same areas and it was just fine tuning as in changing up the presentation to entice the bite...sometimes spoons, sometimes jigs, sometimes just bait in which the jaw jacker wins the day or just something as suttle as Color change....fish the various depths....ohhh if your on them they will chase but getting to bite may require suttle changes....the lure is a very important part of the equation to catching.
Go to crappy tire and get a new sonar
All valid points! If fish aren't being very active then lure and presentation is everything. If fish however are active, location and sonar makes all the difference. Learning to lake trout fish can be a very taxing experience but once you know how, its the best fishing around!
Old 01-12-2021, 06:04 AM

Quote:
All valid points! If fish aren't being very active then lure and presentation is everything. If fish however are active, location and sonar makes all the difference. Learning to lake trout fish can be a very taxing experience but once you know how, its the best fishing around!
Yup...lots of fun...I mark areas during the spring, summer, and fall....name them then hit them up come winter....over the years have found some odd locations that really shouldn't produce but do and it really doesn't matter what time of year....heading out in a few hours....was going to drag a sled but will have everything on the quad....light and tactical.......

Old 01-12-2021, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Yup...lots of fun...I mark areas during the spring, summer, and fall....name them then hit them up come winter....over the years have found some odd locations that really shouldn't produce but do and it really doesn't matter what time of year....heading out in a few hours....was going to drag a sled but will have everything on the quad....light and tactical.......
GL out there sir! With this snow coming tomorrow with crazy winds, Cold Lake may be a mess for awhile with this thin ice! I'll try my luck a bit later today :]
Old 01-12-2021, 07:41 AM

Are smaller vehicles still driving on Frenchman’s?
Old 01-12-2021, 05:04 PM

If you guys get the snow and weather they're predicting, what's the access going to be like this up coming weekend. The weekend weather looks not bad. I was planning a trip up.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:07 PM

On Saturday I watched a truck 1/2ton come on at the PP and drive all the way over to Garnett beach area that person had a death wish I believe.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2alarmfishing View Post
Are smaller vehicles still driving on Frenchman’s?
Small vehicles/Suvs/A few trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
If you guys get the snow and weather they're predicting, what's the access going to be like this up coming weekend. The weekend weather looks not bad. I was planning a trip up.
I'll try and keep you posted, your best bet will likely be French Bay if safety is your first concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan hunter View Post
On Saturday I watched a truck 1/2ton come on at the PP and drive all the way over to Garnett beach area that person had a death wish I believe.
Its a wonder that someone like this made it this far in life :]
Old 01-13-2021, 01:33 AM

Well went out and did a recce around French bay and out to garnet...the bay I drilled and got dead centre 9"-11" of ice...it is rough in the centre area as you head out towards the big water...lots of ice got pushed up in the early stages of the freeze...all around the edges your getting 12"-15". Off provincial launch 12" or more but as you head over to garnet I was getting 9"-10" and there are two pressure ridges but you can drive over them...garnet from shore was 12" or more and out to 200 yards I got 9" but that's as far out I went on the quad...I would say getting around with no worries on a quad, utv's, sled you should have no issues just not in the big body of water....trucks etc are scooting the edges with no issues even seen a red F150 go across from provincial launch to garnet....myself I feel confident on the quad but will wait for a better deep freeze before farting around all over the lake with the truck....just not worth it.....ohhh and when I settled down towards the end of the day I managed a quick three, two on the jaw jacker and one with the Len Thompson #2....the day was more of a ice recce....fish were lucky

Old 01-13-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Well went out and did a recce around French bay and out to garnet...the bay I drilled and got dead centre 9"-11" of ice...it is rough in the centre area as you head out towards the big water...lots of ice got pushed up in the early stages of the freeze...all around the edges your getting 12"-15". Off provincial launch 12" or more but as you head over to garnet I was getting 9"-10" and there are two pressure ridges but you can drive over them...garnet from shore was 12" or more and out to 200 yards I got 9" but that's as far out I went on the quad...I would say getting around with no worries on a quad, utv's, sled you should have no issues just not in the big body of water....trucks etc are scooting the edges with no issues even seen a red F150 go across from provincial launch to garnet....myself I feel confident on the quad but will wait for a better deep freeze before farting around all over the lake with the truck....just not worth it.....ohhh and when I settled down towards the end of the day I managed a quick three, two on the jaw jacker and one with the Len Thompson #2....the day was more of a ice recce....fish were lucky
Appreciate the update! Lets see how Cold Lake looks tomorrow after this crazy storm hits :]
Old 01-13-2021, 08:50 AM

Wink

Quote:
Appreciate the update! Lets see how Cold Lake looks tomorrow after this crazy storm hits :]
I would like a bit more snow on the lake, toss in colder temps for thicker ice just to be safe....no storm here yet....maybe should have gone out....yesterday was calm and sunny. Forgot to mention the jawjacker had a 8" herring and one treble set in the midsection facing towards the tail...great hook sets just under the roof of the mouth...didn't reel in my jigging line and yup had a mess as one fish swam the 20 yards to that hole....rule #1 reel in that line...

IMG_4056.jpg

IMG_4059.jpg

Old 01-13-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I would like a bit more snow on the lake, toss in colder temps for thicker ice just to be safe....no storm here yet....maybe should have gone out....yesterday was calm and sunny. Forgot to mention the jawjacker had a 8" herring and one treble set in the midsection facing towards the tail...great hook sets just under the roof of the mouth...didn't reel in my jigging line and yup had a mess as one fish swam the 20 yards to that hole....rule #1 reel in that line...

Attachment 170178

Attachment 170179
Snow is pounding down here now! Going out today would be suicide lol :] I fished my handline a few days ago and got tangled, never put it back in again! Went out yesterday with a buddy and managed 38 trout, 4 around the 75 range, all released. Great day !
Old 01-13-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Snow is pounding down here now! Going out today would be suicide lol :] I fished my handline a few days ago and got tangled, never put it back in again! Went out yesterday with a buddy and managed 38 trout, 4 around the 75 range, all released. Great day !
I heard in front of marina was god to people too....the two points top of French bay in the middle was another little hot area...of all the trout this year seems to be a few more larger ones showing up as in the so called keeper size just hope that is not what is happening....my perspective...slot size and be done with it.
Yup she is blowing and snowing

What are you seeing for ice thickness?

Old 01-13-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I heard in front of marina was god to people too....the two points top of French bay in the middle was another little hot area...of all the trout this year seems to be a few more larger ones showing up as in the so called keeper size just hope that is not what is happening....my perspective...slot size and be done with it.
Yup she is blowing and snowing

What are you seeing for ice thickness?
Ice thickness is basically what you are seeing, West and North end are definitely thinner then the rest. East side always runs a little thinner as you get closer to the river. I see a lot of varying thicknesses even within small areas. Crazy to think the main lake is catching French Bay in thickness but this snow will put a damper on that. I expect a lot more flood water unless we get some really cold temps.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:09 PM

so yesterdays little storm didn't really hinder lake travel, a few drifts here and there but lake is snow covered so now at least ya got traction.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:49 PM

Heading for round 2 tomorrow. The big lake got the best of us flatlanders from the south last time out. This will be the 1st time on the ice. Should be interesting.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
Heading for round 2 tomorrow. The big lake got the best of us flatlanders from the south last time out. This will be the 1st time on the ice. Should be interesting.
so how did you make out? The Duchesse and I are all ready to make our presence tomorrow...hope you saved a few gooders for us....

if weavster sets up just drill all around him...make him his own ice island and hope for high winds....yup gonna play a bit dirty.