Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-12-2020, 04:02 PM

Default Sylvan Lake Report: - 2021

Sylvan .... got lots last night, looks like a clear skating rink, if you look close there appears to be two Bald Eagles parked out there, as well there's still open water looking towards Sunbreaker area & lots of geese hanging around. Forecast is for a few cold nights, if we don't get any wind/snow this sure will help grow some solid ice for opening day. A few pic's .... enjoy.

Edit: Local Reg's so we all know!

What's you lake look like ?

D.

Taken on Remembrance Day, still open water ...

Taken Nov 12th .....

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 11-12-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:20 PM

Nice pics. I’ll probably wait till mid December. Always start at long lake by Boyle as it tends to freeze up quickly.
Haven’t been to Sylvan in probably 15 years. Might give it a try for whites this year.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:14 PM

I've been waiting for Zip's Sylvan Ice Update! Starting to get there, but we really could use a good month of -10 day time, -20 night time and then we should be more than ready for opening day. I never drive on till new year's at the earliest, but walk on for Dec 11 weekend is definitely possible!
Old 11-12-2020, 05:15 PM

Ghost lake is about the same as Sylvan right now.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:56 PM

Yep. That cold Oct helped. Should be a good opening day out at Sylvan and Gull ice-wise.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:25 PM

Nov 16th ... Sylvan now appears to be completely ice'd over. Pic's courtesy of Sean M. from Sylvan Facebook .... tks for sharing great pic's!

Cheers

D.

East-side - Jarvis Bay area.

South Shore along Lakeshore Drive, that's the Main Pier in Background:

Ice Ridge from Norglenwold area going North, that's Palm Bay & Sunbreaker in far Northwest end.

Old 11-16-2020, 06:00 PM

Time to start tying some worms!

BW
Old 11-16-2020, 07:58 PM

Sorry my Bad, Sean M. from Sylvan Facebook just uploaded new video, his drone went out to the ice ridge and that's open water past that area. Still got a ways to go to be completely ice covered.

D.

See ....

Birchcliff area ....

No Ice out here, towards RR23 & Sunbreaker.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:38 PM

Thanks Zip! Getting close to be covered though. Should be good for opening weekend. Nothing warm in the long term forecast. +12 this time last year...
Old 11-17-2020, 03:04 PM

Surprised to see that much open water, but hopefully locks up soon. Need a good 6" before I'll ever set foot out there. My forecast (south of RD) has plus temps this weekend, but the overnight lows are still around -10, so hopefully that'll get the job done!
Old 11-17-2020, 07:55 PM

South Buck and Pigeon have frozen over. Sylvan is quite a bit deeper takes a bit longer for the deeper lakes to lock up. Should be frozen over by the weekend.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
South Buck and Pigeon have frozen over. Sylvan is quite a bit deeper takes a bit longer for the deeper lakes to lock up. Should be frozen over by the weekend.

Nice! Thanks for the report. Early this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2020, 05:39 PM

Nov 20th ... drove down RR21 to Half Moon Bay lake access, Sylvan's 100% iced over today & the Canada's appear to have gone south. Hope it continues to grow & we get some good ice this winter for opening day on Friday Dec 11th.

EDIT: Those aren't my tire tracks, someone just couldn't resist.

Cheers

D.

Facing N.W. towards Palm Bay & Sunbreaker in the distance.

Old 11-21-2020, 07:43 AM

Thanks Zip. That is an early ice over. Should be great for opening day. Nothing too warm in the long term forecast.

Too bad about the no travel south this year. I hope you get in a lot of ice fishing. Not to rub salt in the wound but a climatologist was speaking the other day about Li Nina is a strong one this year and will particularly impact Central Alberta. Cold in Jan but really cold come Feb. And lots of snow...
Old 11-21-2020, 04:34 PM

Thanks man for updating, looking forward to see you guys on the hard water opening day!
Old 11-21-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawtty View Post
Thanks man for updating, looking forward to see you guys on the hard water opening day!

Look forward to it ..... stay turned for a bunch of pic's from our latest Trout Adventure, the afternoon bite was fast & furious, we missed you today.

D.

Old 11-22-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Look forward to it ..... stay turned for a bunch of pic's from our latest Trout Adventure, the afternoon bite was fast & furious, we missed you today.

D.
Scottie texted me those pics. Looks like you guys had a blast. With the house sale now I can concentrate on fishing now on days off so itll be hard to get rid of me haha.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:46 PM

Nov 25th .... O.K. Boys & Girls, ice is looking good, went out just over 200 paces & look what I found.

Fishin season starts here on Friday, Dec 11th, sharpen those hooks.

Cheers

David

Nice clear solid ice.

That's about 6.5" to the top of the hole.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:10 PM

Excellent -- I've been concerned about this warm weather. We haven't had a daytime high below 0 in at least a week. Next 7 days all above 0 as well. Nearly 7 inches already is huge...if we can get some below 0's upcoming, it might even be driveable in 3 weeks...
Old 11-25-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Excellent -- I've been concerned about this warm weather. We haven't had a daytime high below 0 in at least a week. Next 7 days all above 0 as well. Nearly 7 inches already is huge...if we can get some below 0's upcoming, it might even be driveable in 3 weeks...
I seen some cracks with flood water around the marina area going out to the middle of the lake, Sylvan only ice'd over about 2 weeks ago, the ice around Sunbreaker will only be 4" maybe 5", wouldn't chance driving out yet, no one around here has even been out around shore with any snow machines, still too early bring your toboggan.

D.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:37 PM

Still plenty of time for ice growth before Dec11th if we get some good cold weather. I live in town but haven't had a chance to check the ice yet, thanks for the update!
Old 11-26-2020, 03:14 PM

Definitely need a cold snap, but +8 in Olds next Weds (and every other day above 0 as well...) Not going to help matters!
Old 12-01-2020, 08:56 AM

Well, my weather forecast has between +6-+10 over the next 7 days. Sigh. Not going to be conducive to a good opening weekend on Sylvan. Hope things don't melt as quickly as I expect them to over this week. Here's to a cold snap in our near future! BRING ON SUNBREAKER!
Old 12-01-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Well, my weather forecast has between +6-+10 over the next 7 days. Sigh. Not going to be conducive to a good opening weekend on Sylvan. Hope things don't melt as quickly as I expect them to over this week. Here's to a cold snap in our near future! BRING ON SUNBREAKER!

Just came home from doing a few errands, notice a couple of people out on the lake perhaps 1/2 Km or more out towards the middle drilling holes put the bio's on them no rods just surveying ice conditions. Seen snow machine tracks a ways out from shore, guys are chasing around no reports of anyone going through.

I plan to go out and drill a few more test holes & post some pic's, ice will be fine for opening day.

D.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Just came home from doing a few errands, notice a couple of people out on the lake perhaps 1/2 Km or more out towards the middle drilling holes put the bio's on them no rods just surveying ice conditions. Seen snow machine tracks a ways out from shore, guys are chasing around no reports of anyone going through.

I plan to go out and drill a few more test holes & post some pic's, ice will be fine for opening day.

D.

From your keyboard to mother nature's ears. Already planning the Opening Saturday...
Old 12-08-2020, 09:40 AM

Hey Zip how are we looking for the season opener? Hopefully not too much ice loss with the warmer weather of late
Old 12-08-2020, 10:58 AM

Really curious about the stretch from Palm Bay to Sunbreaker. In a perfect world, I kind of want to access at Palm on Sunday and then work our way east, but I'm not sure how much ice there is on that NW side of the lake. Can't wait for the weekend!
Old 12-08-2020, 12:47 PM

Looks like a few of you guys are getting excited .....

Stay tuned.

D.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:53 PM

Dec 08th …. Went out past the Lighthouse this morning to do another Ice Survey. It was a bit spooky walking out on clear ice with very little snow, it's deceiving, you’re not sure how thick it actually is. Bring a spud bar.

If I find the time I’ll drive over to the other side of the lake to check out Sunbreaker maybe Thursday.

From some F/B reports Sunbreaker has some ice heavies/ridges which happens every year and the ice is about the same condition.

If you plan to come out to Sylvan, check the ice conditions, as we all know they vary from area to area, stay safe & don’t slip & fall.

A few Pic’s … enjoy.

D.

Ice Cleats are necessary, don’t forget them or get some.

Spooky, that’s rocks in 5-6 fow.

Facing NW towards the far end of the Lake

Landmark …

200 Yds out measured with my Lazer ice grew to 8.5” to top hole

300 Yds out

Nice clear solid Ice over 12 FOW.

Just over 7.5” to top hole.

Ice is growing, next week will be colder, were off to a good start.

Old 12-08-2020, 02:02 PM

thanks Zip!! Not as much ice as I'd like to see, but what can ya do with the weather we've had...?? Things are getting colder, as you mentioned, so within a couple weeks things will be much better.

I'll be bringing my axe with me to check ice as we go on Sunday. Have heard the RR21 access point has about a foot of ice, so that might be the best place to start the season...