Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 01:52 PM

Good ole muskeg hole in my Yamaha Rhino. I had a young man driving that didn’t recognize he was going too slow over the ‘skeg. Absolutely swamped it. Thankfully the farmers son had the ole John Deere nearby. So instead of going up to the hole and tugging us out, he burns through the hole and try’s to drag us backwards the way we came. Big mistake. He went from strong, solid ground right up to his axles on the tractor. Well, long story short, dad showed up and with the 8 wheel JD tractor we managed to unglue the first tractor and them the Rhino. I paid him a few brown notes for his trouble.

Went back this year and only 1 year after the tragic events, the muskeg looked almost untouched. Self healing properties lol. What a nightmare!
Old 01-18-2021, 04:09 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

stole the CO's jeep once...buried it....I was stuck in a real bad place for a little time out....got out by doing time...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-18-2021, 04:45 PM

Got the Ol' Tractor stuck with two discers in the ol' slough up to the windows. Dad had to pull me out backyards.

Once I got the Tractor stuck in the slough with the cultivator. We just let it rain for a couple weeks before we drove it out later that summer.

Then there was the combine....lost many of my childhood years in sloughs, luckily my dad was never mad, seemed to give him purpose. I miss you dad up there in heaven. I wish I could waste an afternoon getting something stuck with you pulling me out.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:04 PM

Needed a grader to get my tractor and cultivator out when a teen.

Needed a tractor to get my kid out of the dumbest road he could ever attempt just last night.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:18 PM

Working years ago down North of Cowley, performing a survey in the pouring rain prior to construction starting the next week. Parked on the side of the gravel road to grab the last set of legs and got back into the 3/4 ton crew cab and slammed it into 1st to get out of dodge as I was soaked. Working by myself and wouldn't you know it, that slimy Southern clay pulled the truck into the flat bottom ditch. Frame was sitting on the ground and all 4 wheels doing nothing but flinging water

Only thing around was a barbed wire fence line. After securing the winch line to the bottom of a post at the very end of the line, the 12,000 pound Warn strained and groaned, but kept pulling that truck for the next 1/4 mile until eventually the passenger front tire grabbed just enough sod to help out and wheel out.

Easily the longest, wettest tug out in my life. A year later, that truck was still spitting out clay from places I didn't even know was open to air.

Got a new respect for Warn products that day - still haven't found anything as durable as that 12,000 pound winch.

J.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:34 PM

Way too many stuck stories but some funny ones too. A buddy of mine got his S-10 stuck pretty good when we were dirtbiking in Cloverbar back in the day. Hooked a tow rope up to him and to my 84 CR500. Sprayed an awesome coat of mud all over his little truck! 3/4 ton Chevy rolled by and pulled out the brown mess after the fact.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
Needed a grader to get my tractor and cultivator out when a teen.

Needed a tractor to get my kid out of the dumbest road he could ever attempt just last night.
Lol been there done that, a few replies back

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-18-2021, 06:06 PM

Was with another guy heading out to an old wellsite near Anzac one time in the early to mid 90's. Got high centered in the ruts on what pretended to be a road. No problem, let's get out and jack things up and throw a log or two under the wheels. Got out and the mosquitoes and black flies made it so you couldn't breathe! Got back in, called a tow truck out of Fort Mac and said, bring bug spray!! Have always remembered that one and what to keep in the glove box in Northern AB. Cell phones prevented a lot of bites!
Old 01-18-2021, 06:33 PM

I was doing some brushing with a D7 up on the river bank. The next part was down along the river. So instead of going along to the trail, I thought I could go down this coulee. I dropped one side into a washout. It was so stuck the high side track wasn't touching the ground. I had my stuck chains with me and a saw so I cut a couple poplar about 10 inches in diameter and 10 feet long and I chained up. It took me 2 days to get out of there.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:27 PM

Default Being Stuck

My buddy had a customized VW Bug. Up graded the motor with available parts, then welded a second set of tires and rims to the rear tires, and created a dually VW.
We had a few beverages and tried to go across the newly formed lake Beaumaris in the newly formed Castle Downs neighborhood in Edmonton.
We got half way across and that was it. Mud and water up the windows. We had to crawl out the windows and wade across the mudhole. We walked up to a house and knocked on the door to ask a Lady to call a tow truck.
Cliffs towing showed up and was WTF! is this? We went to a job site from where they were building houses and grabbed a LOT of lumber/plywood and attempted to build a ramp to get closer as the winch cable was not long enough.
We drew straws to see who had to go underwater to try and hook up to the axel. I lost.
It cost him a sh.t ton of money for that tow, and for the tow truck guy not to call the police, all at 4:00 am. And he would only take cash.

All that wood we used is still in that lake.

That car ended up in the old coal strip mine ponds at Cardiff before the golf course! And that's another adventure.
The dumb sh.t you do.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:57 PM

77 f250 to the floorboards a few times. Jeep CJ5 to the floorboards, also hanging by one wheel in a rut on a steep hill a couple of times, Toyota stuck over a log in a soft spot that didn't show soft on the first time thru, no issues first trip thru, sure as hell were on the way back. That's why I have a winch. Also had to get thru a flooded area of a road to get to a critter a few times, walked the line over, hooked up and went thru, both ways.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:24 PM

Well, one of my worst stucks happened this past October, Hunting south of town by Crow lake when we had that early cold spell. We had driven over some skeg spots and frozen water early on in the day with no issues everything seemed to be solid.
In the afternoon the sun came out and it warmed up just enough I guess to soften one spot up enough for us to break through.
Ice was up to the bottom of the doors and we were going nowhere.
Attempted for a few hours to get it out to no avail, finally made the call to walk out, about 18kms to where the wife could get in to pick us up.
Went back in 2 days later with my Rzr 4 seater, a snatch block and a pile of rope. Had to actually use my chainsaw to cut the truck all the way around in the ice, then jacked the back up and winched it out with the Rzr.... Good times! Just like the good ol days.. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2021, 08:33 PM

Haven't really been so stuck as to need heavy equipment but probably the worst was fishing with my Grandpa north of assumption. I was driving and for whatever stupid reason took the wrong trail and ended up planted in the wetland. I hitch hiked to assumption and found a shop with a couple fellows working and told them our situation.

They had to phone their boss to see if it was ok to help. The phone was on speaker so I could hear him immediately say no friggin way. I figured we were pretty screwed at that point but I'll never forget there was a little pause where the boss took a breath and asked who it was. Luckily Gramps was pretty well known in the north and next was "Well you guys better go pull him out!"

Sigh of relief and we were off to rescue Grandpa. When we got back to the truck Grandpa was adamant that no attempts be made to pull without another backup. The fellows obliged and a second truck was brought in. Sure as heck as soon as the first pull attempt was made the initial rescue truck was stuck. A bit of time and maneuvering and eventually we were free.

In the end wasn't to terrible but I can think of better places in the world to plant a truck that's for sure.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:03 PM
Banned

this story is a testament to the young people of rural saskatchewan!

this took place in the early 1970's south of outlook when i was a rookie rc. it was the middle of the winter and i was out in the willy wags driving along some irrigation ditches (i spent a LOT of time out driving around where i shouldn't have been) anyway it was winter time, 20 or something below, and low and behold, i caught the flash of brake lights ahead of me on the ditch bank......the chase was on! away we went and unfortunately for me, the kids who were out there drinking beer knew the ditches better than me. they zigged and i zagged, right off the end of the ditch into about 4 feet of snow. i had to role the window down to get out of the car and was standing there thinking it would take me until morning to shovel my way out. while i stood there watching the tail lights disappear along the ditch, the brake lights came on and after sitting down there for a few minutes (they were hiding their beer), the car turned around and came back. i was only a year or so older than those kids i was chasing and we all knew each other.....one of them rolled down the window and said, 'boy gerry, it's gonna take you a long time to get out of there', and they all laughed, and laughed. then all six of them got out, got shovels out of their trunk, and we all shovelled and pushed for two hours until they pushed me back up onto the road. i would never have told them, but in the years i was in outlook after that, not one of those boys ever got a ticket.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:07 AM
Gone Hunting

This is turning into the best thread ever.

I've laughed until I was gasping for air, felt real bad for some, glad for others and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-19-2021, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Pelican Lake by chance?
More North
Old 01-19-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
This is turning into the best thread ever.

I've laughed until I was gasping for air, felt real bad for some, glad for others and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.
Yup! It's a gooder!

Learning a bit too... Always good to learn from other's mistakes...
Old 01-19-2021, 10:30 AM

My dad and I are moose hunting in Clearhills/Peace Country. Just as always you need to go over next high ridge. In October South side was dry ,north was ice. Old 49 Pontiac would not climb it. Dad very creative chops green poplar 30 foot log, we lug it into trunk, he decides need his extra 200 lbs so he gets into trunk to hold log. I 14 year old do the driving, gun the old Pontiac, speed shifting those gears all way up the ridge in ruts, log flopping like a rope. Dad hobbles out of trunk all black and blue.
We had brand new Firestone winter tires on the Pontiac next day.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:25 PM

Default A good trick...

Buried the truck driving on a "road" I thought was frozen up. High entered on ice and frozen mud. Dug for hours. Wasn't really planning on serious wheeling so didn't have some tools that I normally do, just the shovel and rope that's always in there. Swimming in frozen mud, branches, no go, no cell, fair ways back in there...

Finally tied a loop of rope through the rim on one rear wheel, just a piece about 36" long looped through the rim and tied around the tire. Tied a rope to that, and a tree, and tightened it up. Put it into reverse, one revolution of rope winding up around the tire moves the truck about four feet with rope stretch, reset the rope so it doesn't fall off the tire and rip up the brake lines, repeat. Got unstuck, so happy not to be spending the night! I've used that trick a few times now over the years, always have some old static rope in the truck now to reduce rope stretch. Even tying pieces of rope around the rim/tire like chains works really well. Often faster and simpler than a winch for going backwards. Works forwards too. Be careful cutting the rope (knots often too jammed to undo), you can cut the tire sidewall surprisingly easily. Might have done that once.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:26 PM

Default I've got a good reply to this..

I've got a good one for this.

3 Trucks, a Subaru Outback, a Front end Loader and a Cat involved.

Kegriver might love this one if he sees it.

I'm the 'Ben' that's spoken of in this.

11 years and many, many miles ago.

My white F-350 was stuck ahead of where the loader was. I wasn't going to do that damn walk again -- the loader operator was inexperienced -- and managed to guide him to work my truck out by using the only thing we had -- the bucket.

Tilt bucket, tighten chains, tilt bucket, tighten chains, tilt bucket, tighten chains.

We were all idiots and this was when we were much, much younger, but I still kind of look back at it fondly. My mistake was going out looking for Cliff (The little guy who owned the Subaru) after dark and I hit the same soft spot that got the loader.

Except the chick that egged the guy on in the first place.

Watching the guy stand directly in the kill zone when the loader is being pulled out *STILL* makes me twitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1KBoQzQJ1Q

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 01-19-2021, 01:24 PM

South of Edson 30 yrs back. Old logging road we knew well and if you winched through a couple nasty mud holes with the Jeep, you had old logging roads and fresh cut blocks all to yourself.

One old well site road was always good for grouse at least and we always drove it just in case. There had been a stake in the middle of the road for a few years but the "hole" it was in was tiny lol. Young and dumb and didn't clue in that meant a washout.

Well one sept day we were on that road, 2 feet of grass growing between the tire trails and down the Jeep went. Winch bumper caught the front edge, rear tires on the back edge. Front wheels hanging in the air above about 3 ft of hole. I could crawl under both rockers and easily fit 2 of us in the hole. No way we missed seeing that hole coming. Now what.

So we strung out the winch cable to a tree to keep the jeep in one spot, cut two 8 inch trees and put them down in front of the bumper and into the hole. Then we cut every tree within a 100 yrds to try and "fill" in the hole. We got it about 3/4 full and ran out of trees lol. Darn muskeg spot. Well I had enough of that so I jumped in and started to winch the jeep across. The two poles worked perfect to get the front wheels up on land.

The back end dropped in and we didn't even bend a rocker panel. Out we came and drove back out beside the hole from Hell. It turned into a warm morning and we were out by 1 ish. We found a sunny spot on the main trail, laid out some blankets and took a well needed nap in the sun. Must have looked funny to the couple 4x4's that went by.

The Jeep had a tweaked frame rail on the right side, it pushed up a bit. I was a bodyman in training so with help from one of the guys, we pulled it down that week and were ready to go the next weekend.

That's the worst stuck, been stuck many other times lol.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansgunsghandi View Post
Finally tied a loop of rope through the rim on one rear wheel, just a piece about 36" long looped through the rim and tied around the tire. Tied a rope to that, and a tree, and tightened it up. Put it into reverse, one revolution of rope winding up around the tire moves the truck about four feet with rope stretch, reset the rope so it doesn't fall off the tire and rip up the brake lines, repeat.
Very cool! That's actually the principle used by the "Bog Out" device: https://www.bogout.com/

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 01-19-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Very cool! That's actually the principle used by the "Bog Out" device: https://www.bogout.com/

That looks cool, and also proves that every time I believe I've figured something new out someone else has figured it out better .
Old 01-25-2021, 03:31 PM

Driving in old 1966 chevy two wheel drive half ton with two friends about 5 miles back on old logging road come into old log cutting open landing area, frost just out of ground and proceed to sink front driver wheel so deep bumper on ground Then find out truck has no jack. I had a 20 inch Swede saw so cut a good thirty foot high spruce down and delimbed Cut another good sized tree and cut 7 two foot lengths that we stacked in pyramid fashion right in front bumper Then wedged thirty foot log under bumper over the log pyramid wedge .Three of us got on end of pole and using the fulcrum principal were able to lift truck up and one was able to shove logs under and we got out
Old 01-26-2021, 09:23 PM

Worst stuck was in gumbo sewage mud in Iraq in an mrap. Took a Bradley to get us out. Nothing special just pure horse power!
Old 01-26-2021, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Worst stuck was in gumbo sewage mud in Iraq in an mrap. Took a Bradley to get us out. Nothing special just pure horse power!
Look something like this? But with more muck?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flex.jpg (76.8 KB, 125 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-26-2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Look something like this? But with more muck?
haha very similar, more urban than rural and the truck was leaning at twice the angle. Now I saw much worse than my goof... had an Abrams stick it's main gun into the bottom of a canal and it sheared the drive wheel off spinning the track trying to back out. Til this day we have no idea why the guy got on a canal crossing, pivoted 90 degrees and drove straight down into the canal. Took a couple 88's to get that bad boy out. Poor driver had to sit half submerged for hours, then they drug it back to Fallujah... I bet that poor guy was breaking track for days!
Old 01-27-2021, 02:17 AM

I was tasked with driving around an oil executive in an level 4 armored Chevy Suburban. On a whim he decided to check on a new site out in the boonies. The road was a horrible lease road if you could even call it a road. I advised against it but the client was adamant that we go. Road control never told us there was a weight restriction and one of the side roads was closed so we headed out. Found out later there was an underground creek on the road we needed to travel on. Being mid spring the road looked ok until we hit the creek where we started to sink. Buried the truck, all 10,000 lbs or so up to the door handles in semi frozen mud. Had to wait several hours for an excavator to come dig us out just to get to the toe hooks. Once we were free the excavator operator told us the road was closed until they could put rig mats over the creek. There wasn't even anyone at the site we were headed too.

Being the vehicle was set up for city driving there was no winch, toe strap or anything more than a jack to change the tire, not that it would have helped anyways.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-27-2021, 05:37 PM

Not really a stuck story, but it was a late freeze up back in the early 90's and we couldn't get into a site up in the Conklin area. Dozer with wide pads on pulled us in and out on a rig mat every day. Kinda like going up the Liard on a barge.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:06 PM

Muzzy’s story reminded me of an incident where my father-in-law was out hunting with a friend, and their car got stuck in a rut.

His friend pulled out a saw and cut a long pole. He then removed his hubcap to expose the axle end.

Putting the end of the pole on the axle end and using a log as a fulcrum, he lifted up the wheel enough to get material under the tire to get unstuck.