Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 11:03 PM

Default HVAC Fan not working in 2006 Ram. It’s cold in there!

I’ve got a 2006 Ram 2500 MegaCab and of course the heater fan decided to quit working now that it is -30. 🙄

It hasn’t worked on the lower setting for a while but still was on the high speeds, google told me that was a symptom of the blower motor resistor being bad so I replaced it tonight with no change. Haven’t found any fuses to be bad.

Anyone ever run into this and have any idea?
Old 01-26-2021, 11:20 PM

Start simple,

-key on, heater on, tap on blower motor with something.

-Wiggle wire connection on motor .. check wire connection/pins for corrosion/burnt.

-Ohm meter, check for continuity on motor connector.

-Ignition switch may be bad.

(imo, the Blower motor is probably at fault)

Last edited by tri777; 01-26-2021 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:32 AM

Neighbour has an 03 doing the same. If he wiggles the key, it’ll kick on and off. Ignition is his problem.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:51 AM

Blower motor is pretty easy to get out. Had to replace one on my 07 Dodge. It is on the passenger side and under the dash sitting in the foot well area.

You will have to become a pretzel if you are a big guy to get the three screws out, but with a little wiggle it will drop on the floor.

Do your continuity test, and see what you have for the power side.

You may want to check your fuses to see if something blew when the resistance became too high.

Now you can take the blower out and use some alligator clips and put power to the blower assembly and see what happens. They cost about $125 off the shelf at Cdn tire, so if it is hanging up or running rough when powered, you might as well just install a new assembly instead of fighting with the motor itself.

Drewski
Old 01-27-2021, 09:35 AM

If you give the area under the dash where the fan is a smack with your hand and it turns on then blower motor is your problem.

Those trucks also have issues with the ignition switch going bad, and if you aren’t the original owner the ignition switch with wiring may have been replaced and the fix for the amp draw from hi speed on the fan not burning out the ignition switch again was to install a inline fuse in somewhere close to the ignition switch. Remove the panel that’s by your knees when driving and look in there it’ll just be a regular looking inline 2 blade fuse if it was done.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:45 AM

Check the pigtail on the motor, when the blower motor starts to go it will melt the pigtail.
Fan would work intermittently. That was my experience on an 06
Old 01-27-2021, 11:26 AM

I had a blower not coming on in one of the cars my wife used to drive. I didn't know where to begin so I proceeded to remove the blower motor to have a look. I dropped it by accident on the floormat and it started to work. Good things I had the switch on.
For a couple of weeks she had a stick on the passenger seat. Start the car, give the blower motor a whack, good to go.
kidd
Old 01-27-2021, 11:33 AM

I was mad enough at it this morning that I crawled under there and thumped on it a few times, away it went.

I imagine the brushes or something in the motor are likely shot. It is only 15 years old and has 435,000 Km. 🙄

Guess I will be looking for a blower motor assembly. The resistor was obviously partly shot as the lowest speed (highest resistance) did not work and maybe not the second speed either. Resistor was $60 at Canadian tire.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:16 PM

Resistor burning out is common on these.

Just did one a couple weeks ago in my 08.

Easy fix, right by the blower motor.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:24 PM

Check the blower resistor.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
I was mad enough at it this morning that I crawled under there and thumped on it a few times, away it went.

I imagine the brushes or something in the motor are likely shot. It is only 15 years old and has 435,000 Km. 🙄

Guess I will be looking for a blower motor assembly. The resistor was obviously partly shot as the lowest speed (highest resistance) did not work and maybe not the second speed either. Resistor was $60 at Canadian tire.
i got mine from napa
Old 01-27-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Mine went at 530,000 in my 03
Old 01-27-2021, 06:00 PM

Here’s a wiring diagram for you. It could be your fan controller on the dash. You’ll have to check that as well.

Last edited by ram crazy; 02-23-2022 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Resistor burning out is common on these.

Just did one a couple weeks ago in my 08.

Easy fix, right by the blower motor.
Like I said in my first post, replaced the blower motor resistor and still did not work.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:48 PM

Recently replaced the blower motor on my 06. It would not always start blowing when I started the truck but usually would start up after driving a while. I asked a mechanic friend thinking it may be electronic problem but he suggested fan motor even though it did not run noisy. Glad it was that simple but I have another problem. The driver side of the dual zone only blows cold at times and it has more trouble going to heat as time goes on so I am now leaving it on the heat setting and turning the fan off when it gets to hot. Heat on the passenger side only does not keep the cab warm when it feels like AC blowing on the driver side.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:47 AM

SGI salvage, $32 and a 101 day warranty. Think I’ll risk the used part, that way if it turns out to not be the problem you’re not out much.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:26 PM

Default Throwing out another idea.

Quote:
SGI salvage, $32 and a 101 day warranty. Think I’ll risk the used part, that way if it turns out to not be the problem you’re not out much.
You could have a new blower motor for about the same as you paid for the resistor. (part cost + USPS freight)
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...wer+motor,6916

I ordered parts in November that arrived in 5 business days, even though the site said it would be 3 weeks.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-28-2021, 09:23 PM

Does your fan work at the lower settings.
I just had my heater core and ac condenser replaced they were both plugged solid.
Replaced the fan because it was making noise. Still didn't have any air. Had the work above done and now I have hot air and good air flow.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:53 AM

Load test the entire circuit at once ...

headlamp bulb. two pieces of wire. disconnect pigtail connector @ blower motor. temporarily connect the bulb in place of the blower using the wire. it should cycle bright to dim according to the fan speed selected. so long as it does then slam dunk a new blower motor.

this 30 seconds of diag works to condemn 90% of the blower motor repairs which i perform. the other 10% get further diag to nail down resistors, switches, controllers etc ...
Old 01-29-2021, 09:48 AM

I would highly recommend installing a cabin filter while you're at it, this will solve a lot of issues with the heater core. I just did that in my 2007 RAM 2500. The added benefit is that you don't have to breath in all the dust. It boggles my mind that Dodge didn't have ANY cabin filters in their trucks until 2017. The further I dig into the truck, the more I realize how cheap they are built, but hey, at least they're easy to work on, like a tractor
Old 01-29-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Meal Farm View Post
Load test the entire circuit at once ...

headlamp bulb. two pieces of wire. disconnect pigtail connector @ blower motor. temporarily connect the bulb in place of the blower using the wire. it should cycle bright to dim according to the fan speed selected. so long as it does then slam dunk a new blower motor.

this 30 seconds of diag works to condemn 90% of the blower motor repairs which i perform. the other 10% get further diag to nail down resistors, switches, controllers etc ...
Great idea!
Old 01-29-2021, 11:43 AM

Had this happen to me, found broken wire in steering column where the steering wheel pivots