Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 08:54 PM

Default Credit card companies called me

Well a scary call, the credit card phones me says we stopped 2400 from charged to your card, it was a quick only 3 charges in 2 minutes , way to go visa,
Old 01-26-2021, 09:20 PM

Nice to see the fraud department was on there game. I wasn’t so fortunate,went to pay off my card two days ago and found out that someone had one hell of a day on the 22nd....$22,000 worth of fun. I asked if the fraud department had the weekend off,didn’t get a reply.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:23 PM

I have had 2 cards scammed before over the years. I now have an alert on my credit card, if anything over $1 is spent I get a text to my phone and email.

It's not a big deal when I use the card, tap, my phone vibrates letting me know my card was used.

Its peace of mind, especially when you cant find you wallet for a bit.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:14 PM

I've had my cards compromised a few times over the years. I do some business travelling and sometimes outside of North America - so it comes with the territory I guess.

Good news is I have not had one single issue dealing with VISA. They are easy to deal with, fast on restoring service (or sending another card out) etc...

You feel violated and it could happen at the worst possible times - so have a second card in your wallet as a backup.

They can't send you replacement card to Mexico when you are stuck in Durango fast enough!!!!!! lol
Old 01-27-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
Nice to see the fraud department was on there game. I wasn’t so fortunate,went to pay off my card two days ago and found out that someone had one hell of a day on the 22nd....$22,000 worth of fun. I asked if the fraud department had the weekend off,didn’t get a reply.
WOW! $22K? Card must have one very large limit.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:39 AM

Happened a few times to us too. One time they cancelled the card but never notified us and we were out of town for hockey trying to pay for hotel rooms.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:08 AM

Credit card "money" is not your "money" and the credit itself is insured. It is the responsibility of the seller to verify the user of the credit card is indeed the owner of that credit card.

2-factor verification and checking your credit card balance weekly are very good additional measures.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:22 AM

I use my card(s) 99.9% of the time locally.

We took a road trip and my credit card company called me to ask where I had just made a gas purchase that was 400 kms away....As this purchase was out of the norm area, they called....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:25 AM

American Express called me.

They told me someone bought out the entire tackle shop.

I said "damn thieves"

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-27-2021, 08:27 AM

Default Card

We have the alerts, on our cards. Wouldn’t be without them.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:57 AM

there's a new scam you get a call saying they are visa and someone purchased thousand dollars of on line gift card , then they want your card info , be careful never give out your info. they should know it if they called you.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
there's a new scam you get a call saying they are visa and someone purchased thousand dollars of on line gift card , then they want your card info , be careful never give out your info. they should know it if they called you.
Just had that happen this morning, saying there were 2 charges. We didn’t get an alert so ignored the call.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
have had a dozen or more of these calls. If you are really worried about if it is real hang up and call the number on your Credit Card.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:30 AM

I had a call from "Melinda" last week after a hearing a computerized message indicating to push "2" if I didn't authorize these two transactions on my Visa. She spoke in broken English saying my credit card had been compromised, twice, for gift cards and an amount. She proceeded to ask for my full credit card number, I hung up and called Visa,
SCAMMERAMA.
Be careful. The more they shut down these call centers in the Middle-East, the more opportunity to start up again because it's so profitable.
FHD
Old 01-27-2021, 10:09 AM

It's even worse when your wife is the scammer...

She went to pick up some food for us as we were working late, brought us mucho burrito. Somehow the teller messed up, my wife wasn't wearing her glasses and didn't see the total, and left with her 3 burritos.

At $18,243.00, or thereabouts.

Couple days later I'm online looking at my accounts and what the hell??

Went back to Mucho and they had been waiting for us to come back, very apologetic, refunded the full amount, free dinner, and then a free lunch to boot.

But I have had cards compromised multiple times over the years, with spending usually in the single digits as a test run, then triple digits, then go for broke before fraud prevention flagged it and called. Is this $48,000 charge at a jewelry store in West Palm you? Uh, no!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-27-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
American Express called me.

They told me someone bought out the entire tackle shop.

I said "damn thieves"

Lol
Old 01-27-2021, 10:25 AM

I know a guy that lost his credit card so I asked him how long it took him to get it cancelled. He said he didn't cancel it, whoever found it spends WAY less than his wife did.

All joking aside, watch out for the scam calls that ask for card info, how the heck would they know you had been frauded if they didn't already have that. Second, out of country, most places only accept 4 digit pins, tap does not work everywhere. Always carry a backup credit card when travelling in case your primary one gets locked. Also, you can have your limit temporarily reduced for travelling, or just get a card with a 5000 limit as your primary travel card. If you do a lot of travelling in the states, a U.S. dollar card will save you a lot on exchange fees. You can also get cards in other currencies like Euros, or Pounds if you travel to other countries regularly.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:24 PM

The 3 charges in 3 min were all BnB payments
Old 01-27-2021, 12:27 PM

I got a call once and got asked if I just bought building supplies in Turkey... yes the country Turkey.

LC
Old 01-27-2021, 02:06 PM

I’ve had two calls in the past week claiming to be from Visa and that they detected some fraudulent charges for gift cards and noted that I didn’t normally buy them (true), but it didn’t specify which Visa provider. It asked me to press a number to decline the charges. The timing was curious as my Visa was not in my wallet that day so I called in a 48hour hold on it to my bank. The real bank rep confirmed no fraudulent activity was up, so I knew the earlier call was bogus. The card was found in my shirt pocket from the previous day when I got home so I removed the temporary hold. I also called the scammer number back and got a voice mail for a family in Ontario, so they had obviously spoofed the call display as well.

Be very careful in what you reveal to callers who claim to be helping you in such a manner, this sounds like a new kind of pfishing scam. If in doubt, call your credit card provider and never give them info that they should already have, such as what bank it’s drawn from.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:14 PM

About an hour ago I had a call from the local Fountain tire concerning someone calling to buy tires for me with my card. They actually had my name. They must have known i deal with them quite often. They would not deal with the caller. Thankfully the shop phoned. I called my card company who told me nothing was coming up and I had nothing to worry about even if they manage to use it successfully. I hope!! BEL
Old 01-27-2021, 05:21 PM

I was in Cabo a couple of years ago. Went to a Scotiabank nearby to get some US dollars to pay for an excursion. Handed my Visa card to the teller as proof of being a client. She told me I couldn't get cash without my passport witch i had left at the resort. Hadn't used the card in months as I usually use a TD one. Got a call from Scotia that day about a couple of big charges to the card. Pretty shady.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I have had 2 cards scammed before over the years. I now have an alert on my credit card, if anything over $1 is spent I get a text to my phone and email.

It's not a big deal when I use the card, tap, my phone vibrates letting me know my card was used.

Its peace of mind, especially when you cant find you wallet for a bit.
Same, any money spent on my credit or debit card, and I get a text message.

I have no idea how I got that set-up originally, but I would highly recommend this to anyone.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Same, any money spent on my credit or debit card, and I get a text message.

I have no idea how I got that set-up originally, but I would highly recommend this to anyone.
Why? You aren't liable for fraudulent charges but u get a notice every single time u use your card. What does this actually accomplish.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:19 PM

Your not liable true. But it's still a major pain in the butt going through your statement trying to figure out what was what after a month. Or you can know the minute it happens and put a hold on your card or stop it asap.

It's not like someone is calling you to verify, I get a text on my phone, saying RBC purchase of .... then the store name.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
But it's still a major pain in the butt going through your statement trying to figure out what was what after a month.
Are you saying that you never go through your monthly statement prior to paying????
Old 01-27-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Your not liable true. But it's still a major pain in the butt going through your statement trying to figure out what was what after a month. Or you can know the minute it happens and put a hold on your card or stop it asap.

It's not like someone is calling you to verify, I get a text on my phone, saying RBC purchase of .... then the store name.
In normal times I use my primary card at least a couple of times a day. Out of 70 or more charges in a month I could spot a bogus charge in seconds. I also check my accounts at least weekly so it is even easier. Long and short, the Bank's fraud software will spot bogus charges faster than u will and that is their job. Do as you like but I consider that a massive waste of time and effort.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:48 AM

I have had my credit card compromised several times and the bank was really good to deal with although it took quite some time to get replacement card. I bought a money clip with RFID blocking to protect someone from scanning my card as I walk by. I haven't had an issue since. I highly recommend a wallet or clip with this blocking feature.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2021, 09:26 AM

Recently had my VISA card compromised. Got a phone call and a follow-up e-mail asking me to verify the charges. When I looked at my account on-line, it showed a $1.00 purchase from a company in the U.S., and almost $6,000.00 in purchases from Lego in Toronto. VISA quickly deactivated the card and cancelled all charges.

The $1.00 charge was to see if the card would work, and once the scammers had figured out the PIN they started to rack up big charges. Good on VISA for catching this.

Mr Conservation
Old 01-29-2021, 10:42 AM
Banned

That is impressive and I have received similar calls. Speaking of which I would highly recommend balance protection to anyone. It was expensive, like more than my monthly payment required but worth it! My balance protection just paid my entire credit card off 😁 👍 over $13k puff! Gone! I’ve also been paying into this since 2007 every month. Td visa emerald I think my interest is like 6% 😂

Last edited by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^; 01-29-2021 at 10:51 AM.