Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2021, 07:30 PM

The smiles on the kids says it all Dad ....

Tks for sharing the pic's & congrat's on a fun & successful day.

Cheers

David

Old 01-05-2021, 07:32 PM

Good on ya!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkster View Post
Wish I would have gotten a better one that showed her girth. But am always worried keeping them out too long. Just a solid fat momma, nice and healthy.
Nothing wrong with that pic, it shows the fish very well, plus the happy fishers too! Thanks for putting it back!
Old 01-05-2021, 10:10 PM

News from - Town of Sylvan Lake

The Province of Alberta now requires all ice fishing huts, left on the ice for longer than 24 hours, to include a label with the following information written in a contrasting colour with text 2.5 cm or taller:

-Your Wildlife Identification Number (WIN), or

-Your name and telephone number

Call 310-0000 for more info.

This is pretty exciting in that all lakes and lake ecosystems are better protected, with a reduced risk of abandoned ice huts in the spring. As a result, the Take it Off program is not longer in operation.

Excellent NEWS .... would like to see F&F checking and enforcing. Some of you may recall, on April 14, 2018 a local firm, Big Bear Energy volunteered to take the 3 abandoned shack off before they sunk.

D.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 01-05-2021 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:46 PM

Jan 08th .... Ice is growing slowly but everyone is driving all over. On my way home noticed 2 guys in White truck were leaving and this is what they left behind, I had nothing to mark it, stopped to talk to a fella who was making repairs to his shed, he said he had some building material and would look after it, fortunately it was in a remote part of the lake. See W/W thread for what worked today.

D.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:04 PM

Hey do you have a link to this ?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2021, 09:50 PM

If you were coming from Calgary, where would you access the lake. Would be parking close to shore and using a quad to get around if possible. What are the current snow conditions?

Thanks in Advance
Old 01-08-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Jan 08th ....

D.

I sure hope this crap gets banned soon. Only a matter of time before tragedy strikes. I would be in favour af a max 10” hole regulation.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
If you were coming from Calgary, where would you access the lake. Would be parking close to shore and using a quad to get around if possible. What are the current snow conditions?

Thanks in Advance

There are numerous lake access roads, go to page 5 & see post #136, with a bunch of pic's thats what you can expect here on the weekend.

D.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
There are numerous lake access roads, go to page 5 & see post #136, with a bunch of pic's thats what you can expect here on the weekend.

D.

Thanks so much. That will be great help!
Old 01-09-2021, 07:54 AM

Is there enough snow for a sled or is it getting pretty bare?

WC

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2021, 08:47 PM

Lots of sleds, quads & toys out on the lake, if you got the money you can park your Bell 206 next to you summer home, too.

See .........

Edit: Fishin been pretty good for me while others are struggling.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:33 PM

Jan 13th .... big wind NW 52 gust 80 km/h from a local F/B site there's numerous pics of shacks flipped over and one has it's door ripped off.

Not a great day to be out in a tent ...

D.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:18 AM

Heading out there today, how is the ice conditions, people driving on it yet?
Old 01-16-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Critter View Post
Heading out there today, how is the ice conditions, people driving on it yet?
Look 8 Posts back (Same page as this one) and you'll see the answer...
Old 01-16-2021, 04:16 PM

Can some one tell me if only the smart walleye are left in sylvan? I think all the dumb ones have been caught ...

I was in my shack last night...14FOW...just off a drop off. Marked about 20 fish at night. Didn't get one bite. I think maybe my bait was the problem . I was using smelts from T&T supermarket.

From what I can find....smelts.from T&T....smelts from super store (gutless and headless) and emerald minnows (canadian tire in calgary) what would be best to catch something at dusk/night?

I was using a glow jig and a smelt. Last year I woulda caught a few fish...this year nothing...

Can anyone recommend something new for me to try? I dont need any secrets .... just what to maybe try???

Tnx all

Happy
Old 01-16-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
Can some one tell me if only the smart walleye are left in sylvan? I think all the dumb ones have been caught ...

I was in my shack last night...14FOW...just off a drop off. Marked about 20 fish at night. Didn't get one bite. I think maybe my bait was the problem . I was using smelts from T&T supermarket.

From what I can find....smelts.from T&T....smelts from super store (gutless and headless) and emerald minnows (canadian tire in calgary) what would be best to catch something at dusk/night?

I was using a glow jig and a smelt. Last year I woulda caught a few fish...this year nothing...

Can anyone recommend something new for me to try? I dont need any secrets .... just what to maybe try???

Tnx all

Happy
I find minnows are better for walleye than smelts. I use smelts for pike and burbot.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:29 PM

Is anyone still fishing Sylvan? Is it still productive. I'm thinking about going for a half day on Saturday for whites
Old 01-19-2021, 09:17 PM

With the way the wind came up I wouldn't be surprised to a few shacks blowing down the lake somewhere. Am I right?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-20-2021, 04:52 PM

Fishin very slow here, don't be surprised to get skunked. Yesterday, was a bty day +5C not a breath of wind during the day, I was in my most productive honey holes & only seen 3 Whites & got 1 all day. Did see a Monster Pike in high teens or low 20's come stare at my Red W/W in 6 fow, she wouldn't stay for a quick pic.

There's few reports of some minor shack wind damage from last night but nothing like other lakes were shacks are flipped over or destroyed.

Ice is growing avg. 20", make sure you have sharp blades. You can drive anywhere on the lake, just don't get run over by the clowns who are driving around on weekends at 80-100 kms hr.

D.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:00 PM

Norglenwold today.
Too cold and lazy to move the tent.
All came out from one hole.
More than 50% whities seen not
Interesting to bite.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:05 AM

I was out off of Birchcliff all day yesterday, Never had a Bite , never even saw a Fish in the the holes we fished. Brutal.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingforjoy View Post
Norglenwold today.
Interesting to bite.

Nice work man! Now how is that for a "full boat" limit
Just need the perch and you are laughing.

Congrats!
Old 01-25-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingforjoy View Post
Norglenwold today.
Interesting to bite.

Congrat's on a successful day. I was out there in 22 FOW, just off a deep water weed bed, Scott & Justin were in the shallows, see Whites, but no Walleye or Burbs. From a local F/B, guys are saying they're catching a few in deeper water, up to 40 ft. If it's not snowing over the next couple of days I'm hoping to do some deep water surveying to see if that's were some active fish are hiding. On my last 2 trips out, I had a few monster Pike sneak up & stare at my W/W's one was a prize Pike, but didn't stay long enough for a pic. Ice sure is growing & so far no one has gone through, this cold weather with no/little snow means bring out the auger extension.

D.

Old 01-26-2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Nice work man! Now how is that for a "full boat" limit
Just need the perch and you are laughing.

Congrats!
Thanks
Old 01-26-2021, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Congrat's on a successful day. I was out there in 22 FOW, just off a deep water weed bed, Scott & Justin were in the shallows, see Whites, but no Walleye or Burbs. From a local F/B, guys are saying they're catching a few in deeper water, up to 40 ft. If it's not snowing over the next couple of days I'm hoping to do some deep water surveying to see if that's were some active fish are hiding. On my last 2 trips out, I had a few monster Pike sneak up & stare at my W/W's one was a prize Pike, but didn't stay long enough for a pic. Ice sure is growing & so far no one has gone through, this cold weather with no/little snow means bring out the auger extension.

D.

Thanks.
I was in 13 fow.
It is slow in late Jan and Feb as usual recent years from my own experience. Will pick up starting in March. If the fish not seen in the shallow, they should be somewhere else, so it is good chance in deeper water. Waiting for your report
Old 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM

January 26th …. went out & did some surveying, found a few Whites in 12 fow & some in 26 fow, didn’t see 1 Walleye nor Burb, seen a couple baby Perch in 24 fow, but couldn’t get a pic. I’ve got mix’d feeling about fishin Whites in deep water, plan on going out either tomorrow or Thursday & working the shallows looking for active fish then working along the break in the afternoon, will see if my strategy produces.

Cheers

D.

RR23 South, to a spot east of the lake access road in 12 fow, seen White.

Moved closer to Shantytown, 23 FOW nice mix’d bottom but no fish.

Went deeper on the north side of the shacks in 31 fow sand bottom but no fish.

Went to Honey Moon Bay, to the top of the sand bar found my spot in 4.6 fow.

It breaks quick to the open lake, found a White in 26 fow but no Walleye or Burbs.

I’ve been fortunate to at least get 1 White on my past trips, most guys are struggling.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:55 PM

The BIG JIG - February 13 - 15, 2021

Sylvan Lake's first-ever socially distanced Ice Fishing Derby is coming to town!

Featuring thousands in cash prizes, free fishing workshops, an epic poutine contest and so much more! The BIG JIG has something for the whole family to enjoy.

• Learn to Fish Workshops*
• Equiptment rentals and guided experiences*
• Pass-the-Poutine Contest
• Fat tire bike tours*
• Kinabik Discovery Village

*Pre-registration is required to allow for safety and social-distancing. Registration opens January 15, 2021.

Derby Prizes

Grand Prize
• $1,500 Longest Catch Overall

Top Prizes

• $500 Longest Burbot Overall
• $500 Longest Perch Overall
• $500 Longest Walleye Overall
• $500 Longest Whitefish Overall

Daily Prizes
• $50 First Catch of the Day
• $50 Worst (shortest) Catch of the Day

Derby Participation

February 13-15 2021 is Alberta Family Fishing Weekend. This weekend only, anybody can fish without being required to have an Alberta sportfishing license.

The BIG JIG runs from the following times:

• February 13 from 6am - 9pm
• February 14 from 6am - 9pm
• February 15 from 6am - 3pm

Dress warm and bring your own gear or rent from providers in Town. Book ahead! You will need a clearly marked bump board (measuring board) to enter your catches in the derby.

The BIG JIG Fishing Derby is an online tournament organized through Angler's Atlas website and their MyCatch App. You will need a smartphone that can connect to data or the internet, as well as that has a camera to photograph your catches to participate.

Lake Access & Ice Safety

The public access point to Sylvan Lake from within the Town of Sylvan Lake is located on Lakeshore Drive and 49 street. There is only one public access point from within the town.

There are other accesses to Sylvan Lake in surrounding municipalities including Sun Breaker Cove, Norglenwold, Jarvis Bay, and Half Moon Bay. Please use at your own risk.

Reminder to practice ice safety at all times and be cautious! Sylvan Lake is a natural waterbody and affected by changing environmental conditions and usage. Ice quality and thickness are not maintained by the Town of Sylvan Lake.

Use at your own risk.

For more information, check out - http://visitsylvanlake.ca/bigjig

Old 02-09-2021, 11:21 AM

Sylvan Lake NEWS

Link .... https://www.blackfalds.com/public/download/files/173795

New owners of public boat launch on Sylvan Lake plans opening for May 2021:

No Pricing has been published that I'm aware of .... D.

The Launch at Sylvan Lake is located at 5220 Lakeshore Dr.
• Megan Roth - Jan. 18, 2021 10:30 a.m.
A new public boat launch, fueling station and marine supply store is preparing to open in Sylvan Lake this May.
The Launch at Sylvan Lake Inc. recently purchased the Sylvan Lake boat launch and the adjacent commercial building with the intent of opening “The Launch” this summer.
Scott Reid of the Launch is a long-time resident of Jarvis Bay, and says he understands the needs of the communities surrounding the lake.
“I understand the need to boost summer tourism in a responsible way that aligns with the safety and environmental values of the community. This is good for the economy and for the lake environment. We are excited and committed to delivering on that promise,” said Reid.
The Town of Sylvan Lake identified the need for better boat launch access as part of its waterfront redevelopment plan.
The Launch plans to meet the needs addressed in the plan and “provide the residents of the Town of Sylvan Lake, the surrounding summer villages and tourists access to everything they need for a day on the water.”
Sylvan Lake Mayor Sean McIntyre says public access to the lake has been a priority for Council and the community for a number of years.
“As a privately-owned amenity, we are excited to learn of new boat launch ownership and their plans to expand access to not only the lake, but also to fueling and other marine supply services.
“Having both better access to the water, and attracting new investment in the area, is something we celebrate, and is a testament to the success of our ongoing economic development efforts,” McIntyre said.
The Launch, located at 5220 Lakeshore Dr., plans to accommodate fuel and launches for motorized boats and retail options which will include watersport equipment, safety gear and refreshments.
More information and updates can be found at The Launch’s website: www.thelaunchsylvan.ca.

Sylvan Lake’s Big Jig has big plans for Family Day Weekend

Link .... https://www.sylvanlakenews.com/commu...lRGeoMw-TlxzFU

Old 02-09-2021, 12:26 PM

Good information!!