Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-18-2020, 10:51 AM

Default Clear Lake (east of Stavely) Reports?

Has anyone been out to Clear Lake recently? I haven't been out there in a couple of years and I am curious about the water level, ice conditions and generally how the fishing has been. Cheers!
Old 12-18-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJPFISH View Post
Has anyone been out to Clear Lake recently? I haven't been out there in a couple of years and I am curious about the water level, ice conditions and generally how the fishing has been. Cheers!
Was out at Twin the last couple of days and the ice is 8" so Clear would be the same. Fishing was ok...Landed a few pike and they were taking bait right away.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:37 PM

Fishing is usually always active in the winter.

Only thing is remember the limit is now 1 fish over 100cm. Now that would be a great fish to grab ahold of my little ice rod.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:13 AM

Any updates? Was thinking about taking the kids out and want them to get at least a couple fish.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:35 AM

Is there any burbot In clear? Few years back got checked at twin by FnW and he was saying he heard of people catching burbs but never saw it first hand.

I was out to the south of the launch at twin and two of the holes had almost 10" one closer to shore closer to 6" and I saw a few ppl driving off the lake coming from the north
Old 01-11-2021, 03:34 PM

Was there much snow on top of the ice at Twin? My grandkids have studded up minibikes and can motor if the snow is less than 4 inches deep
Old 01-11-2021, 04:02 PM

Yes there are burbs in Clear. Guy I know has fished and caught them for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjolg123 View Post
Is there any burbot In clear? Few years back got checked at twin by FnW and he was saying he heard of people catching burbs but never saw it first hand.

I was out to the south of the launch at twin and two of the holes had almost 10" one closer to shore closer to 6" and I saw a few ppl driving off the lake coming from the north
Old 01-26-2021, 03:30 PM

We fished it for the first time at the beginning of the month, was not to busy on the day we went but the wind might have kept people away. Looks like a pretty easy lake to access, we will go back and try another spot away from the boat launch next time.

https://youtu.be/00lg7nXKASc
Old 01-28-2021, 02:13 PM

Default Clear Lake

I have fly fished this lake a few times and have had good success. Nothing big even though the regs says 100cm or better, so you would think there would be a lot of pike just under those numbers.
Ice fished it also, nothing to great when it comes to numbers and size. a lot in the 60-70 cm range. I little disappointing for trying to be a trophy lake.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:44 AM

anyone else finding it very murky this year? Went early ice and again last week and both times visibility was less than 2ft in totally different areas of the lake.

I used to sight fish this lake in the winter....

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-31-2021, 02:49 PM

First time at this “lake” was today with the wife and kids. It’s not a lake. It’s a prairie slough with not a tree in sight and strong winds. Caught a bunch of hammer handles which kept the kids busy but I won’t go back. We’ll focus our fishing efforts on the northern part of Alberta next year and into Saskatchewan where the quality of fish is better and much more scenic.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippyCanoe View Post
First time at this “lake” was today with the wife and kids. It’s not a lake. It’s a prairie slough with not a tree in sight and strong winds. Caught a bunch of hammer handles which kept the kids busy but I won’t go back. We’ll focus our fishing efforts on the northern part of Alberta next year and into Saskatchewan where the quality of fish is better and much more scenic.
Yeah , can not compare the South to the North at all , we are lucky to have any fish down here. The province is clear that water supply in the south is for irrigation and the only top priority. The fishing and recreation usage a far second.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litwin View Post
Yeah , can not compare the South to the North at all , we are lucky to have any fish down here. The province is clear that water supply in the south is for irrigation and the only top priority. The fishing and recreation usage a far second.
new fisherman?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-02-2021, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
new fisherman?
He doesn't lie. Sure there can be great fishing in Southern Alberta as you know first hand in your area. But Chin was just a puddle 3 years ago down to around 25% capacity. St. mary's has fluctuated in excess of 30'-40' in depth in the last couple years. The lowest I saw at one point was down to 13% capacity.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
He doesn't lie. Sure there can be great fishing in Southern Alberta as you know first hand in your area. But Chin was just a puddle 3 years ago down to around 25% capacity. St. mary's has fluctuated in excess of 30'-40' in depth in the last couple years. The lowest I saw at one point was down to 13% capacity.
Not to mention the absolute bum f***king of the bow river by transalta fluctuating that water level 3' overnight on a semi-regular basis

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire