Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-13-2018, 01:32 PM

Default Invasive species

Needed to scratching an itch and didn’t have much time so i popped by Dewitt pond last night for an hour. Lots of rises but the vast majority was tiny couple of inches long carps, not the 22cm trout stocked in April. This place is riddled with these carps. I caught this guy:

2 questions:
- Should i report to fisheries although i’m sure they’re aware of the scale of the problem?
- And how do I catch more of them, not sure i can make a dent but i’m willing to try. Couldn’t get any interest from the little ones...
Old 05-13-2018, 01:47 PM

They know about them there the place has been infested for years. Not too much on this forum about them but on several of our Facebook groups their is tons of info how and where to get them. Size is getting bigger in many places now too.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
They know about them there the place has been infested for years. Not too much on this forum about them but on several of our Facebook groups their is tons of info how and where to get them. Size is getting bigger in many places now too.
Which groups?
Old 05-20-2018, 10:26 PM

Alberta fishing buddies, Alberta fishing addicts and Southern Alberta anglers unleashed all have threads to name a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Which groups?
Old 05-20-2018, 10:40 PM

Alberta Enviornment post a thing on Facebook saying they did some netting at Dewitt’s and got lots of carp. They also said do NOT throw the fish back into the water
Old 05-21-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky View Post
- And how do I catch more of them, not sure i can make a dent but i’m willing to try. Couldn’t get any interest from the little ones...
Small size 12 hook with bread paste.... thats the secret... now don't tell anyone... basic recipes on Internet don't need anything fancy, less is more. Fly fishing for carp not as successful.
Spin fishing or pole fishing (Asian style )When placing bobber on line the hook should be near the bottom. Use a weight on hook to determine water depth and adjust bobber accordingly. Use pea size paste on hook, now the paste should slowly dissolve off so if u have a thin pencil bobber or float I should say.. u should be able to see the float rise up when bait is gone. I normally have 2 lines attached to 3 way swivel, one 8 in and one 10 in or whatever. Carp don't bite the hook, they nibble nibble so it's takes the right timing to set the hook. Wait a bit maybe 6 to 10 secs.... trial and error.....

This year should be another good harvest, last year was bad as they needed to recover from the previous years over harvest. The banks will be lined up this year, specific folk love these little fish.... no banging elbows.....

Last edited by Willowayin; 05-21-2018 at 08:23 AM.