Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 06:54 PM

Default Peace River Valley Alberta - Experiences and Trip Planning

Hi everyone. I'm from South Louisiana and new to this website. I'm looking to make a DIY spot and stalk hunt for mulies in the Peace River Valley of Alberta. My post is two parts.

First, I'm looking for people who have hunted the Peace River Valley in Alberta. Specifically, spot and stalk Mule deer with bow. I would like to hear your experiences with all the details. Public or private land? Guided or DIY? etc etc...

Second, this will be my first hunting trip out of the country and I'm just not sure where to start. How difficult is it to gain access to hunt on private land there? How do I go about gaining that access? How much viable public land is there in the area and is it heavily pressured? I already have a resident Canadian citizen that is going to be taking me, thus eliminating the need for a guide. However, he is from the other side of the country and is not providing much help in regards to finding places to hunt. Any additional information or experiences to do with bringing an alien on a hunt in Canada would be much appreciated

TIA .
Old 05-21-2018, 07:12 PM

You pretty much need to pull a draw tag to hunt mule deer there, if you don’t have a draw....no hunting. I think current wait is over 9 years...that’s with a resident. This other guy taking you better brush up on the rules....he doesn’t sound like an Alberta resident either, therefore he can’t take you hunting here either because he needs a guide or a hunter host to do so.

LC
Old 05-21-2018, 07:25 PM

http://albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/
Take a read. I think your going to find that without an outfitter there isnt much other opportunity, and IMHO there shouldnt be.
If your friend isnt an Alberta resident he cant hunter host you. And if you do find a resident to host you youll be looking at 8-10yrs of applying before being drawn like lefty pointed out.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
http://albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/
Take a read. I think your going to find that without an outfitter there isnt much other opportunity, and IMHO there shouldnt be.
If your friend isnt an Alberta resident he cant hunter host you. And if you do find a resident to host you youll be looking at 8-10yrs of applying before being drawn like lefty pointed out.
I Don't put in for draws very often but I put a mule deer draw in for 523 last year I believe it was the second attempt and I got it.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
I Don't put in for draws very often but I put a mule deer draw in for 523 last year I believe it was the second attempt and I got it.
Wow. I have a cabin just south of the peace river and that zone is 9yrs.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:37 AM

Default Peace hills hunt

Most farmers in Peace country have had their fill of hunters. They are over-run with elk hunters every fall and now loosing patients with any hunter. The further north you go (Manning etc) better chance to get access to private land and much more green area.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
Wow. I have a cabin just south of the peace river and that zone is 9yrs.
I was surprised when I got it my wife was 5 years
Old 05-22-2018, 11:18 AM

Also being a non-resident alien I believe you have to apply by a certain date which is in the spring but that is irrelevant if your friend is not at Alberta resident best chance is to book a hunt with an Outfitter good luck

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2018, 11:22 AM

I guess that date is August 31st you have to have your application in by
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Also being a non-resident alien I believe you have to apply by a certain date which is in the spring but that is irrelevant if your friend is not at Alberta resident best chance is to book a hunt with an Outfitter good luck

Old 05-22-2018, 12:52 PM

The portion of the Peace River in Alberta is 800 miles long, so you need to really do your research to narrow down where you want to hunt. There are likely a few zones where you could draw a tag in 2 or 3 years, but they will be farther north and more difficult to reach. There will be plenty of crown land you can access without requiring permission. If you just want to see some county, have a chance at a mule deer, and your host is an Alberta resident, start applying this June and plan your hunt for about 2022.

If you're serious about killing a deer, I would book with a guide. the Peace Country is a big place and you won't cover much of it in a week on your own.

Gerry Burnie
Old 05-22-2018, 05:08 PM

If you're a non resident alien (from the states) I was under the impression you can't hunt anything that's a draw?
Old 05-22-2018, 05:33 PM

You are right that is the way it works here
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
If you're a non resident alien (from the states) I was under the impression you can't hunt anything that's a draw?

Old 05-22-2018, 08:19 PM

You're right, I was thinking non resident, not non resident alien. The OP will have to hire an outfitter if he wants to hunt big game in AB.

Gerry Burnie
Old 05-23-2018, 01:30 AM

Op will need an outfitter for draw game, WT, bear Gen elk are ok with a res host, in many zones

TBark
Old 05-23-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Op will need an outfitter for draw game, WT, bear Gen elk are ok with a res host, in many zones

TBark
Yes....a resident host who lives in Alberta, not someone from the other end of the country. This is a perfect example of why our residency laws need to be tightened up.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 AM

Yeah no kidding guy was probably charging to

Old 06-04-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post

TBark
This is what I remember. The one time I took a friend from Washington whitetail hunting here that was all he could get. General whitetail tag. No Mule deer or moose or anything from a draw zone